Career Quality Decline

sickdogs

The other week I went to a gig to watch my friend play who was billed among Quantize (who was great) and Talamasca.

Having only heard Beyond the Mask, an excellent album, I didn't really have any idea what Talamasca would be playing 11 years later. I guess I was expecting some intelligent full on along the lines of Braincell or something. I was definitely a little bit shocked, disgusted and disappointed when I was served a 1 kilogram block of terrible terrible cheese. It was bad, guitars and everything. I would have left after about 30 seconds if I wasn't with a whole bunch of other people who were somehow enjoying the party music and wanted to stay.

Of course this music serves its purpose and can be fun, but I guess I just don't get it. Why would you go from producing intelligent goa trance to producing crap? Of course music doesn't have to be serious business the whole time, but you can have fun and have quality..

What other once great artists have suffered the same decline? Just so I can avoid them in the future :P

I had the same feedback from Belgian people who saw Talamasca 3 weeks ago.

The last thing I heard from him was the "Back to Bach EP" which is totally along the lines of what you describe.

I think people who listened to him in the XXth century are all disappointed by his music now. And of those who want loads of kicks and bass' club music with the illusion of being in a rave party get served correctly...

i've made the same experience with talamasca some years ago. i like everything up to zodiac, but beyond that all talamasca output is crap.

other artists to watch out for are infected mushroom (obviously ;)), yahel (obviously too), electric universe (not that bad, but nowhere near the quality of cosmic experience), space tribe (utterly cheesy crap), astral projection (ranging from goa-y fullon to eurotrance), transwave (nothing special anymore) and california sunshine (definitely crossed the cheese limit).

i guess doing it the other way round would be easier. out of the old masters mwnn, pleiadians, chi-ad and cosmosis still make decent music today ;)

Protoculture is a huge talent, don't get me wrong - Magnetik (Glastonbury mix) is one of my all time favs.

However, the Love Technology album, while still great dance music, has veered way off the Psychedellic course. It's great to listen to (especially while driving!) but veering into Euro-Trance realms (compared to tracks like Fascinating Curry, New Directions, Innit and the aforementioned Magnetik).

There are loads of other musicians who i love and are still making wonderful music, just not as psychedelic as they used to. Examples are Seb Taylor (Shakta) who makes amazing music with Kaya Project, Younger Brother, Nick Doof (Third Ear Audio - fantastic!!!) and many more. As musicians they have improved amazingly, just gone in different directions.

Another artist who I think has gotten better and better is OTT - the guy blows my socks off!!

P.S I would love to hear a new Shakta album!!!!!!!

The other week I went to a gig to watch my friend play who was billed among Quantize (who was great) and Talamasca.

Having only heard Beyond the Mask, an excellent album, I didn't really have any idea what Talamasca would be playing 11 years later. I guess I was expecting some intelligent full on along the lines of Braincell or something. I was definitely a little bit shocked, disgusted and disappointed when I was served a 1 kilogram block of terrible terrible cheese. It was bad, guitars and everything. I would have left after about 30 seconds if I wasn't with a whole bunch of other people who were somehow enjoying the party music and wanted to stay.

Of course this music serves its purpose and can be fun, but I guess I just don't get it. Why would you go from producing intelligent goa trance to producing crap? Of course music doesn't have to be serious business the whole time, but you can have fun and have quality..

What other once great artists have suffered the same decline? Just so I can avoid them in the future :P

Pretty easy if you ask me: Artists like Protoculture for example just like clubtrance so to them it's not crap I suppose. There is also intelligent clubtrance (if music can be intelligent at all, maybe that should be up for a debate on it's on) as far as I can tell so maybe you should stop expect artists to share your taste just because they had a release you liked.

Pretty easy if you ask me: Artists like Protoculture for example just like clubtrance so to them it's not crap I suppose. There is also intelligent clubtrance (if music can be intelligent at all, maybe that should be up for a debate on it's on) as far as I can tell so maybe you should stop expect artists to share your taste just because they had a release you liked.

+1...taste is so subjective! :)

Electric universe is still pretty reasonable. As is Shpongle.

Shpongle are still good but are they as good as AYS? or Tales of The Inexpressible? In my opinion definitely not.

Electric universe fuels his recent music with cheesy guitar riffs. If that's your thing you could call it reasonable but it's far from my taste so I call it ubercrap :)

+1 and i think same for Space Tribe (except Alien Jesus), still full powaa twisted full on

you're right. i remebered something horribly cheesy and thought it was space tribe, i guess i mixed it up (maybe space cat, idk?). now i've listened to some of their releases and it's pretty standard fullon. actually it's no surprise that they still make decent music, when a lot of tracks are collabs with tristan and laughing budda (another one to add to the list of artists whose music hasn't gone downhill).

about protoculture: he makes pretty good eurotrance now, but as it's still advertised as psytrance and as we're talking in a psytrance context here, i'd classify his music as becoming crappy. and, let's be honest, none of his recent tracks are close to a classic such as dawn razor ;). still i listen to his new stuff from time to time when i'm in the mood for normal trance.

when psykovsky will make a track for lady gaga than the world will end for sure, but until than i don't really care about old farts that want to buy new cars and touche silicon boobs a lot of new talent raising up and the new generation are taking the scene to new levels :)

Shpongle are still good but are they as good as AYS? or Tales of The Inexpressible? In my opinion definitely not.

Electric universe fuels his recent music with cheesy guitar riffs. If that's your thing you could call it reasonable but it's far from my taste so I call it ubercrap :)

It's one thing to listen to the music on CD, which I basically don't...but seeing him perform live, even the new stuff works quite well on the dancefloor. I'm not saying it's as good as let's say one-love-kinda-quality, but it's far from being ubercrap. If Electric Universe is ubercrap nowadays, what kind of negative attribute would be left for the real shite like "Last Men Standing" e.g? Btw. not all guitars in psy are bad, for example imo "the Calling", which features guitars as well as vocals, blew everyone away at one Electric Universe party I attended. Nobusan's "Bro Hymn" cover is very good, too. But well, in the end it all depends on taste...

If Electric Universe is ubercrap nowadays, what kind of negative attribute would be left for the real shite like "Last Men Standing" e.g?

mega wanks socks brimming with age old jizz!

About seeing the artist live: is this drugged up live or sober live?

mega wanks socks brimming with age old jizz!

About seeing the artist live: is this drugged up live or sober live?

Hehe I guess you could call 'em that.

3/4 drunk probably isn't exactly what people call sober, but it probably isn't drugged up in the common sense either.