6. Who attacks me

ECTIMA

7. Holy Spirit

E-CLIP

8. Something Beneath

ZYCE AND FLEGMA

9. Flux

ZEN MECHANICS VS FLEGMA AND NERSO

TesseracT is at it again with another progressive trance compilation this time compiled by DJ Zoi who was apparently responsible for the festival in Greece of the same name. The track list is mouth wateringly good if you are a fan of the effect heavy and melodic soundscapes that these artists usually create. This label has their sh*t together and rarely disappoints.

Day of Illusion- This was a long pumping track to open the compilation and while entertaining in spots, I felt it droned on. Highlights? The tribal feel with the flute was unexpected as was the cool breakbeat. The only problem was that those highlights were in the first 3 minutes.

So for the last 6 and a half....

Posted Image

Basic (Zyce & Spinney Lainey Remix)- Nikola Kozić shouldn't be a stranger to anyone who enjoys the thick and melodic sound of progressive trance. Spinney Lainey sounds like a made up name but this is who helped with the remix. You got flutes, effects from all over the place, and percussive thumping to guide you through this. The break is a beautiful mix of tones and melodies as the flute soars high and the bass rumbles underneath. It's a good one.

Carbon- Holy hell in a hand basket, Zyce is all over this thing. Sideform consists of Drasko Radovanovic and Milos Modrinic and they put in some good work here. Rumbling, crunchy effects and chopped up synths create a bunch of layers to sift through. Good bouncer.

Awakening- "What we're doing here is simple. We're waking up. We're waking up out of our dream. You are lost in illusion. You're lost in your dream."

Flegma & Nerso again with Jovan Tot and Ivan Jovicic and they deliver sparkly synths and trademark TesseracT echoing sounds fading into the distance. This one is also pretty layer intensive with the same plodding style that is rich in atmosphere. Another good one.

Who Attacks Me- "Who attacks me?"

I was never a fan of his minimalistic tech style approach, but hey you can't please everyone. There's lions growling in this I guess and it's more of a grumbly rumbler style of progressive trance. Even though I'm not a fan, I can appreciate it.

Holy Spirit- This guy. Yep, this guy is responsible for the best progressive trance disc of 2011 with Shuma. Book it. Write it down. Put it in your cell phone. He opens with a nice spooky intro and his bass line is about a 8.9 on the richter scale. It's the darkest track yet with a synth line that screeches like i just dropkicked a cat for a score. Power baby, and near the end it changes tempo for a spell. That's the only part I didn't like. Just didn't seem to fit, but he gets back to being a rock star for a whale of an end.

Posted Image

Leggos...what can't they do?

Something Beneath- Apparently Nerso went on a beer run, so these two decided to make a track on their own. Snooze you lose buddy...shoulda had more in the fridge on standby I guess. It's walking with a big stick around the 2 minute mark and he won't let go of it. Attitude as synth riffs continue to echo and swirl. A searching melody spirals out of the rumbly bass not being too complicated. Loved it.

Flux- I guess this duo got tired of Zyce hogging all the spotlight and substituted him for Zen Mechanics. His latest has been sitting on my desk for weeks. Really need to get to that. If you guessed that this would be deluged with effects then you get a cookie. Well, some cookie dough, I didn't have time to throw it into the oven. Whoa, whoa, whoa...go to the mens room if you're gonna do that!

Posted Image

"C'mon, c'mon!!!"

If that was all there was then it would be no big deal, but these guys bring the big beat that rattles the walls if you get me. Very rhythmic as it thunders into the break of long twisted sweeps. I really like the bass sound that rips across the air but like previous tracks before it has so much going for it that you have to hear it. Superb.

Walk The Line- Nikola joins forces with heavyweights Dalibor Delić & Dragan Matić to create a track that has a mellow feeling about it. It's groovy and evolves slowly, but the melodies don't get uppity until halfway through. There is a chunky quality to the beat and that makes it more danceable and I think it's more of a sit on a beach chair with a beer in your hand type of track. Normally I would think it weak, but their effect placement is spot on thickening things up. Ok, show of hands...who thought there would be a Johnny Cash sample in there? Anyone?

Great compilation. Full of power (well as powerful as progressive trance gets) and melody with oodles of effects to paint a picture. No bad tracks to be found so this comes highly recommended.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/tes/tes1cd005.html

http://www.beatspace.com/6090/Tesseractstudio/Various/Free+Frequency++/detail.aspx

http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=4260

Mdk

• 7 months later...

Love the Flux track, Zen Mechanics vs Flegma & Nerso are 3 of the best prog producers. Also this is one of the better tracks of the Ectima project. It's very different, but unique and amazing sounds. Great album!