Psytrance vs Full-On

Cynos

It's pretty subjective what counts as psychedelic; the word means different things to different people. Personally I think most full-on is crap (same as almost any genre, though to my ears the crap:good ratio seems higher for full-on than for darkpsy or Goa) but there's some really good stuff too, like this. Either way I think it's silly to suggest that full-on isn't really psytrance, since the word "psytrance" is a well-established name for a genre of music, not just a term for anything that could be described as both "psychedelic" and "trance" - there's plenty of music that I find both psychedelic and trance-inducing that nobody would call psytrance. Full-on developed naturally from the same origin as the other psytrance subgenres like darkpsy, psyprog and neogoa and has as much in common with any of those styles as they have with each other (in fact the boundaries between styles are pretty fuzzy), so it's rather unfair for someone to say it isn't psytrance just because they don't like it.

• Like 1

Full On belongs to psytrance. Of course there are full on tracks that cross the line to eurotrance for example, but that's something that goes for every genre. For example many prog are closer to house than psy, some darkpsy almost step to the hardcore category and some goa are more normal trance.

So yeah for me full on is psytrance. Most of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nectarios

...so it's rather unfair for someone to say it isn't psytrance just because they don't like it.

Is it more unfair that calling the israeli cheese brigade sound, psytrance?

Guest nectarios

Well then. I'll be the first to disagree. Full On is not psytrance, as darkpsy is not psytrance... and so on. For the simple reason that it is a different sound althogether...imo always ;)

Peace out.

Well then. I'll be the first to disagree. Full On is not psytrance, as darkpsy is not psytrance... and so on. For the simple reason that it is a different sound althogether...imo always ;)

Peace out.

If full on is not psytrance, darkpsy is not psytrance, prog is not psytrance, goa is not psytrance, twilight is not psytrance, suomi is not psytrance...then there is no psytrance.

• Like 1

If full on is not psytrance, darkpsy is not psytrance, prog is not psytrance, goa is not psytrance, twilight is not psytrance, suomi is not psytrance...then there is no psytrance.

+1

Full On belongs to psytrance. Of course there are full on tracks that cross the line to eurotrance for example, but that's something that goes for every genre. For example many prog are closer to house than psy, some darkpsy almost step to the hardcore category and some goa are more normal trance.

So yeah for me full on is psytrance. Most of it.

I agree.

Guest nectarios

Wrong, psytrance is psytrance. What do you guys think people called psytrance before full on, twilight, dark, prog...etc came along? Most people called it goa, or spiritual trance was even used...then came the new sound (late '90s) that was different to Goa trance and people called psytrance. All that was well before all the subgenres came along.

People called that sound psychedelic trance, and it was very different to full on, prog, dark...etc. I guess they were all wrong as well?

Peace out.

"Unsurprisingly, therefore, within EDM, the names of innumerable subgenres generally refer to fairly specific musical features, and can therefore be considered to be “actual” genres. While stylistic variations are present in styles like drum and bass (“liquid”, “techstep”, “jump-up”), these are in most cases fairly subtle. In psytrance, similar observations can be made; “dark”, “morning” and “suomisaundi” are all essentially variations of “full-on”. The names “dark” and “morning” might imply a binary opposition, but in actual fact, there is much in common between them (i.e., sixteenth-note bass lines, bass/kick drum sounds, unexpected stops/quirky sounds, etc.)." (from The Local scenes and Global culture of Psytrance, edited by Graham St John, 2010, page 116-117)

Edit: Woops, wasn;t actually going to post this, must've posted it by accident.

Guest nectarios

^

Methinks you missed the point of his post.

I didn't. I try to use a an analogy to what has been said and to what I am saying...By Ormion's "math" by detracting full on from psy-trance and effectively detracting dark from psytrance, prog...etc then you are left with no psytrance. What I am saying is that by detracting full on from psytrance and effectively dark, prog...etc you are left with only psytrance. And after that we can do into never ending arguments about subjective tastes on what is psytrance etc etc.

And on Graham St John's post. Saying that there is much in common between dark and full on because there are 16th note basslines, unexpected stops/quirky sounds, etc sounds like someone's grandmother talking about techno music.

imo, always ;)

With 99% of the fullon out there, would you even like fullon to be associated with psytrance??

"herp derp, Perplex is making some nice psytrance and the newest IM is so sooper dooper pooper sounding, which retard wouldn't like this shit? Darkpsy lovers maybe? LOL..."

Wrong, psytrance is psytrance. What do you guys think people called psytrance before full on, twilight, dark, prog...etc came along? Most people called it goa, or spiritual trance was even used...then came the new sound (late '90s) that was different to Goa trance and people called psytrance. All that was well before all the subgenres came along.

People called that sound psychedelic trance, and it was very different to full on, prog, dark...etc. I guess they were all wrong as well?

Peace out.

Nothing came along. You talk like subgenres were invented in one night and change our scene.

It's called evolution.

What you call as psychedelic trance evolved into 3-4 primary subgenres over the years. And those subgenres evolved into new ones and so on. Something that happens since the 'discovery' of music.

After all psytrance itself wasn't born in a day. It came from the evolution of goa.

I didn't. I try to use a an analogy to what has been said and to what I am saying...By Ormion's "math" by detracting full on from psy-trance and effectively detracting dark from psytrance, prog...etc then you are left with no psytrance. What I am saying is that by detracting full on from psytrance and effectively dark, prog...etc you are left with only psytrance. And after that we can do into never ending arguments about subjective tastes on what is psytrance etc etc.

If we detract full on, prog, darkpsy, suomi, twilight, techtrance etc we left with 5% (even less) of the psytrance artists. Artists who are not necessary psytrance (psytrance as you mean it), but their sound doesn't have a name yet. Which means if I give a name to their music like psynight or dawn trance then they are immediately stop being psytrance.

With 99% of the fullon out there, would you even like fullon to be associated with psytrance??

"herp derp, Perplex is making some nice psytrance and the newest IM is so sooper dooper pooper sounding, which retard wouldn't like this shit? Darkpsy lovers maybe? LOL..."

Well just because most of full on is bad that doesn't mean I can excluded from the scene, does it?

Well just because most of full on is bad that doesn't mean I can excluded from the scene, does it?

If it was up to me, it would've probably been done a long time ago. Same for 90% of Israel's take on it, gone...with the wind... and most "strongly melodic" darkpsy would be called fullon instead.

Just my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nectarios

Nothing came along. You talk like subgenres were invented in one night and change our scene.

It's called evolution.

What you call as psychedelic trance evolved into 3-4 primary subgenres over the years. And those subgenres evolved into new ones and so on. Something that happens since the 'discovery' of music.

After all psytrance itself wasn't born in a day. It came from the evolution of goa.

If we detract full on, prog, darkpsy, suomi, twilight, techtrance etc we left with 5% (even less) of the psytrance artists. Artists who are not necessary psytrance (psytrance as you mean it), but their sound doesn't have a name yet. Which means if I give a name to their music like psynight or dawn trance then they are immediately stop being psytrance.

Goa is different to psytrance....not just because someone gave it a different name and it immediately stopped being Goa, its different because the music is very different, different enough so that it appeals to different people (or not) that like goa trance. Two different styles of music altogether.

Having said that, I don't consider psytrance to be the evolution of goa...the people that still make goa trance today are the evolution (or devolution) of goa.

Same as the people that make psytrance today are the evolution (or devolution) of psytrance.

Dark, prog, twilight, ful on...etc are different enough from psytrance to be completely different styles of music altogether. Dark psy's frenetic tempos and walls of glitch, Twilight's cheesy circus unison saw squeaks, prog's techno swing rim shots and long breakdown white noise gusts, full on's cheese and endless risers are very different to the hypnotic driving music that people danced to in the '90s and called psytrance.

People still make music that has 16th basslines, acid lines, twisted atmospheres and a 4/4 kick drum, yet it does not have the attributes I mentioned above that point out to certain subgenres. That music has a name even tho you (or any sub genre riddled character) hasn't given it a name yet, the same name it has had for years.

Guess what that name is? ;)

We'll agree on one thing tho...it is something like 5% of the people that make music today, that makes psytrance...the rest are doing something completely different in their own pigeonholes.

Small example of the differences between psytrance and full on.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGowDiBftlE&feature=player_embedded

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fy2TluJOGM

If you can't spot the difference, you haven't been listening carefully.

Peace out.

I honestly can't see how the master blaster track is psytrance (as you call it), but not full on. It's 100% full on in my ears without the build ups and the main melodies.

And I honestly again can't see how this track is more psytrance than a twilight track like this

[media='']http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ny3E90bRoA[/media]

• Like 1