n00b here

Greetings Ids!

First you should clarify if you want to DJ or produce. You'll need different stuff depending on which it is.

Assuming you want to produce new music: in general, you'll need synthesizers/samplers, MIDI sequencing and audio editing/mixing. There's lots of free software synthesizers, and lots of good ones that aren't free. Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) which combine MIDI and audio are not as free. There's a couple that are free/cheap, but the more popular ones cost a bit. Cubase and Ableton Live are both quite popular, but aren't cheap.

Personally I love hardware synths, but they're not cheap either. At the least you'll probably want a MIDI controller to control software synths. Some people do without and do everything with their mouse, but I suggest a controller.

Greetings Ids!

First you should clarify if you want to DJ or produce. You'll need different stuff depending on which it is.

Assuming you want to produce new music: in general, you'll need synthesizers/samplers, MIDI sequencing and audio editing/mixing. There's lots of free software synthesizers, and lots of good ones that aren't free. Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) which combine MIDI and audio are not as free. There's a couple that are free/cheap, but the more popular ones cost a bit. Cubase and Ableton Live are both quite popular, but aren't cheap.

Personally I love hardware synths, but they're not cheap either. At the least you'll probably want a MIDI controller to control software synths. Some people do without and do everything with their mouse, but I suggest a controller.

What about studio monitors or at least some really expensive headphones?

They don't get sold for nothing I think.