Digital DJing controllers

Hi everyone, I am interested in exploring the possibilities of digital djing with controllers but i have never used one nor have much info about them or the djing software out there.

I installed for fun Tracktor Pro 2 but I realize that without a controller I am absolutely unable to even put tracks in tempo as I am so used to use real hardware.

Not to mention i need to listen on the headphone the track that i want to play next and I am not sure how can someone mix with the program without an external piece of hardware.

I have been wondering if it could be a nice move as I have been mixing since 97 with real gear but to be honest I could use something easier maybe to worry less about mixing and whatnot.

So, have you guys tried any of these pieces of hardware? What do you think about them?

I seen the videos on youtube about the new kontrol s2 and seems affordable and nice, but then there are people praising the VCI400 and some others yet preferring Pioneer.

Also, what is the most used DJ program? Tracktor? Ableton? Serato? Virtual DJ? which ones you prefer?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I use traktor pro 2 for my psy-sessions and it's a very good software...

Sometimes I play with VirtualDJ and I did always have a lot a problem :wacko:

Ableton is a very good tool too but there is a great drawback: you have to warp (..analyze more or less..) all the files you are going to play.. and warping it's not a really straightforward process.

So my advice is Traktor...

and then you will need:

- an Audio Interface with a least 2 stereo output (one is the main output and the other is to pre-listen)

- a MIDI controller..

and now..there are a lot of controller that come together with and audio interface and probably is the more comfortable solution but you have to be sure the audio interface is a good one if you want to play out of your house. In this case, my advice is for Reloop interfaces...they are very good.. whereas Vestax seems to me too much expensive...

If you are on a tight budget you can get:

- Hercules Dj Control Mp3 E2 as MIDI controller

- Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2 as Audio interface...

with 160 euros you will have the whole system.. the Hercules controller is a bit shitty (for the materials )but do its job...

Hope this helps you.