Posted Image

Artist: Dark Nebula

Title: Gateway EP

Label: Planet B.E.N. Records

Date: March, 2011

1. Steel Dawn

2. Supernatural

3. Three Dimensions of Sound

This is Richard Rutter who has released a bunch of albums and countless tracks for compilations. His style was, you guessed it, dark with some melodic elements. It's been awhile since I have listened to his music, but what I do remember are his cool album covers. Wonder what he's up to these days...

Steel Dawn- "There's something..very dangerous uh, unsustaining about the desert and this place, yet things live. Why?"

This is a change in style for the Nebula that's for certain. What was once a darkpsy chaotic psytrance outfit seems to have mellowed in his old age. This has an almost progressive feel but still maintains that spacey vibe he is known for. It had some nice parts like most of his music, but nothing really stays with me.

Supernatural- "You believe in premonitions? Do you believe that there is order and genius in a hundred thousand million galaxies similar to our own?"

I believe that I'm not a big fan of your new style Richard. It's bland. This isn't you. What are you trying to impress a girl? Nah, I'm just playing with you. If this is the direction you want to follow then more power to you. Ah, I see you have a little goa sensibility in you, why don't you run with that? But the rest of this is just boring stuff that other artists have tripped over.

See that? Yeah, that's my sad face.

Three Dimensions of Sound- "Let's now explore the very front imagery...the first dimension."

I don't know how much exploring I want to do with this new style. It sounds like a return to the 2001-2003 years of sparse layers and thin tracks. He brings a spacey, wavey synth, but I'm just not feeling it. At almost 9 and a half minutes you really don't get that much bang for your buck.

So Richard has reinvented himself, but the results are rather vanilla and disappointing I'm afraid. Gone is the acidic craziness, the dark feeling and the layered music. This comes off as just average stuff that he appears to be messing around with. Far be it from me to criticize the direction an artist wants to evolve, but don't expect me to follow you if I don't like it. And....I didn't.

Holy crap...did I just unfriend you?

http://www.beatport.com/release/gateway/348367

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/Downloads/pbr/pbr1dw002.html

Mdk