New skin available ("beta")

RTP

Hello folks,

so I finally found time to import a new skin.

It wasn't even so easy to find a _free_ one that is compatible for this board version and doesn't look like crap. Well, there are a few skins out there, but I was specifically looking for a theme that fits our purpose, which is - name it - a "serious" looking skin with a darker color scheme that doesn't make your eyes pop when you look at it in the middle of the night ... all that while still fitting into the psynews look.

I have chosen the "Limed Out" theme.

I have imported it and checked how it looks. Looks and feels good to me, except for some inframes that show buttons which still appear in the old, bright background color I didn't found any glitches.

Even our logo is going along with it not so bad I would say ... but if you are good with graphic design, you are of course welcom to design another one if you want. I won't do it :)

As I didn't find any bigger flaws, I have made it available for the public. So the skin is now available for you to select from the drop down menu.

If you find any flaws, report them preferrably in this thread, please. Other than that, may the eyes of the night-lurkers be cured :)

Looks good. Wouldn't have gone for murky green text myself but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

One thing though: is it possible to make the icon for a forum that contains new posts look more different than the icon for a forum that doesn't? Since becoming a mod I've found it very useful to be able to speedily scroll down the page to see what new content there is, but that's rather harder to do with the new skin.

but if you are good with graphic design, you are of course welcom to design another one if you want.

I would love to design it, can you just tell me does skin support wider logos because I think it would be perfect to have more working space for some details.

Believe me, I don't really like the "Limed out" skin so much myself either - the green is not too great ... but I didn't find any other that was looking as suitable and that was free at the same time.

The colors, buttons or icons are not changeable by just modifying skin settings in the skin menu, at least I didn't find a method. Guess we have to change the skin's XML code ... but I am not too fond of that as I don't know how to do it and if the author allowed to modify it...

I do see that the join date is gone too in that skin. Don't know if we can bring it back.

I will continue the search for free skins, but I think that was the best one we would get so far. Maybe some time later when more skins are out for IPB 3.2...

Hey Richpa, thanks for the offer to make a logo, I'd appreciate it. Yes, the skin does support wider logos too, but I don't know the max specs, so it's your risk.

The original logo of the skin is considerably bigger than ours though...

I don't see any need to change the psynews logo - the current one looks fine with the Limed Out skin IMO.

Regarding the icons, they're just image files that are hosted by psynews (e.g. http://www.psynews.org/forums/public/style_images/limedout/f_icon_read.png). I would have thought that it's possible for an admin to just replace the files with something else, rather than having to change any code.

• 1 month later...

That's the colour tags making the text almost the same colour as the background. If one copies coloured text and pastes it into the new editor it will automatically insert tags (and similarly for bold, italic etc.).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi there !

I was looking for that skin "beta" and I accidentally clicked on the "IP board Mobile" option in the "change theme" menu, although I am using a laptop.

Now I can't switch back to the "IP board", when I click on the "change theme" button nothing happens :(

Pease let me know how to proceed. Thanks!

I was looking for that skin "beta" and I accidentally clicked on the "IP board Mobile" option in the "change theme" menu, although I am using a laptop.

Now I can't switch back to the "IP board", when I click on the "change theme" button nothing happens :(

It appears that the 'Change Theme' button on the mobile site no longer works - I've just tried using it on both FF and IE (e: and Safari for iOS). In the unlikely event you still have a tab with the default theme accessible from your browsing history (e.g. in your recently closed tabs or the back button) you may be able to find a page with the default theme - you can select the default theme from such a page and that will fix the problem. I'll draw this to the attention of the admins and see if I can't think up a better solution.

OK, this is a semi-educated guess as to how to fix your problem, Kosmogony. Click on the logo with four squares at the top-right of the page. Right-click the 'Sign Out Kosmogony' button and select your browser's equivalent of 'Copy Link Location'. Paste it somewhere. It should end with:

k=somelonghexadecimalnumber

Copy the long hexadecimal number and paste it over the appropriate part of the following address:

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?&k=somelonghexadecimalnumber&settingNewSkin=1

Then go to the address. Let me know whether that worked.

Thank you for your reply Rotwang. Unfortunally I didn't keep a page with the default theme.

Please let me know when you or the admins find a solution.

??? Check the post above yours, I already posted a possible solution that doesn't rely on your browsing history.

??? Check the post above yours, I already posted a possible solution that doesn't rely on your browsing history.

Sorry, I didn't see that post. I've just tried your method with the hexadecimal number, and it worked. That's great ! :)

Thank you very much ! :)

Thanks very much for looking into this and coming up with a solution, Rotwang. I could not have come up with input so fast. This is really useful -- and thanks to the feedback from Kosmogony, we now know that it works and can recommend it to others who come to have the same problems.

I can confirm the "Change Theme" button doesn't work in the mobile skin for me either. At the moment, I don't know why. Maybe there is a fix ... or maybe we should try with a different mobile skin. I'll see what I can do.