ASCOIL SUN - Emergence (Moon Koradji Rec.) 2011

Moon Koradji Records presents

MKCD005

Formed back in 2008 by Matti Mikkola and Pasi Salo, Ascoil Sun presents their debut album "Emergence". Despite the young age of the project, two minds behind it have been interacting musically for a long time, and after releasing their debut EP, Ascoil Sun have occupied Lunar studios to sculpture their sound - resulting in a truly unique blend of vibes, that only Ascoil Sun delivers.

Aiming towards feelings of spontaniousness and progressive vibes, with eteric slide-guitar melodies echoing colourful psychedelia of 60-70`s, synth-solos taking you into the journey to the future. Emergence is carefully crafted to a true experience which takes you from the surface to the ocean floor, building its pressure in emotion, complexity and mood towards its ending, where it all implodes to surreal beauty.

Representing a wide-range of musical styles Emergence bombards the listener with constant aural surprises in form of a unique mixture of sounds and melodies, yet keeping the ethereal psychedelia and vivid story telling in the front - a blend between future and past is definitely one way of describing the LP. Although this album is ment to be a story with beginning, middle and end - each track serve as a individual trip to planes of sound.

Let yourself dive in your thoughts, let your mind emerge and blossom.

Posted Image

ASCOIL SUN - Emergence

01. Sun Therapy

02. Foxy Tuning

03. Mermaid`s Hypothesis

04. Ocean That You Hold On Your Hands

05. Entanglementary

06. Chant Of The Machines

07. Delay The Time

08. Magnitude In Front

09. Feel the Overflow

10. Settlers By The Sun

All tracks written & produced by Matti Mikkola & Pasi Salo

Cover design by Nystrom & Omsun

Mastered by Overdream

Release date: January 11, 2012

DEMOS

Posted Image

Ascoil Sun started 2008 in Suvela, Espoo, Finland. The music is a mixture of progressive and psychedelic influences binded together with electronic systems. Behind the project are LV & Caja.

Ascoil suns music is a journey, every track is ment to be invidual "trip" with constantly changing, strong emotional spheres.

www.moonkoradji.com

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I received my copy last week. I especially like that you chose to make it available on Bandcamp, since for me the deciding factor was the possibility to listen to the whole album before buying. I really doubt I would've bought it otherwise - sometimes samples taken out of context just can't do it justice.

Great release !!

• 2 weeks later...

Album review by Colourofmoney91 (taken from http://www.progarchives.com/)

Improving on the sound of their debut album with clearer melodies and a dub influence.

Emergence keeps many of the elements intact from Ascoil Sun's debut album -- the thick psychedelic rock atmosphere, shiny synth effects, song-oriented composition structure, bass grooves of the gods -- but everything sounds more professional. The recording itself has less open space, being now more densely packed and unrelentingly psychedelic. The melodies, carried by either the guitar or synth, are better and more easily recognizable to the point where the music is actually accessible in a way that I've only heard Shpongle pull off so far. The most recognizable alteration to Ascoil Sun's sound is the strong Jamaican dub influence (not dubstep; dub, like Scientist). The dubbiest track on this album, and one of my favorites, is "Mermaid's Hypothesis" which is entirely based around the dub-style bass groove laced with staccato guitar that is bound to get your head bobbing, all the while Ozric Tentacles style psychedelic fill the empty spaces with smokey synth melodies.

Something Emergence has that Pinnacle of Coil does not is memorable tunes. Each track on this album is very individual in its own way, but similar enough to the others that they don't compile into an inconsistent collection. "Ocean That You Hold In Your Hands" is another chill dub track with a stronger oceanic atmosphere and soulful wordless female vocals that add a much needed emotional quality. "Entaglementary" starts with summery acoustic guitar strumming and percussion that sounds like one of the better Acoustic Alchemy songs until a striking string section leads into another thick bass groove and druggy electronics with intermittent saxophone wonks. "Feel the Flow" is exceptionally darker than the rest of the songs and the dub style used is of the 21st century variety that Skream often uses, but is just as slow and infectiously groove as all the tracks before it.

This entire album is such an extreme increase in quality compared to Pinnacle of Coil that it's kind of hard to even compare them at all. What Ascoil Sun have managed to do on Emergence is create a very modern sounding dub-influenced album that is also sufficiently psychedelic and progressive while also being very unique.

I received my copy last week. I especially like that you chose to make it available on Bandcamp, since for me the deciding factor was the possibility to listen to the whole album before buying. I really doubt I would've bought it otherwise - sometimes samples taken out of context just can't to it justice.

Great release !!

Glad you like it :) thnxx for support ;)