Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Digital Breed Vol. 1 EP

Label: Mind Manipulation Device Records

Date: March, 2010

1. Counterfreak (Zion Linguist RMX) - Biorhythm

2. Crytic of Trance - Brave

3. From The Heart - Sinful Reactions

This is MMD Records from the promised land of South Africa (take that Israel!) with another EP of twilight music. They do it big with dark sounds and darker atmosphere. If you love this music like I do, then check out Saturate by Rubix Qube, you'll be glad ya did. This is the first EP in the Digital Breed series. Having reviewed the 2nd one I was curious to see if the first one had the same power.

Counterfreak (Zion Linguist RMX)- Laurence Sonnenberg is part owner of MMD and he gives you a little remix of a Biorhythm track. I've always been on the fence about his music...some I liked and some just had me shaking my head. I can't remember the original so going by just this track, the lead is...meh. It has a nice scratchy quality to it, but I don't think it is strong enough to carry the track. The pads are minor key ominous and the break is cool. When he starts flinging the acid my ears perk up.

Crytic of Trance- I think this artist is fairly new, but for my money (and it has to be mine, can I borrow a few bucks?) he wins the EP. The bass line is punchy and it has a groovy quality that had me whipping my hair back and forth. See all that crap on the walls? That's acidic goodness. The final bit is a quite tasty mix of acid and chopped up synthetics. Good stuff.

From The Heart- "And now for the grand finale...a little song that comes from the bottom of my heart."

The Pereira brothers from Portugal close the EP with a fast paced romp through metallic lead town. It gets on my nerves after a bit and the old time sample doesn't seem to fit. Couple that with a slight buildup and even though the acid flies near the end I am still left with an indifferent feeling.

Not bad, but I liked the Volume 2 better.

http://www.beatport....volume-1/232299

Mdk