2. Asteroid Escape

3. Hyperspace

4. Flare Star

5. Cosmic Radiation

6. Celestial Queen

7. Galaxy

8. Mars Getaway

9. Far away from home

I've been away for awhile, but I can never resist a request. This is Dustin Messer from San Francisco with his 4th studio release. I reviewed Thee Old Ones from last year and came away pleasantly surprised as he combined light and dark with very good results. I missed his downtempo stuff on Deep In Blue but keep your panties on, I'm getting to it. Once again he switches styles more than I change underwear much to my wife's chagrin. This time he is nestled deep in the progressive vibe where the beats are moderate, the melodies are evolving,...and the wine is delicious.

Starfire- Posted Image

"Last time I saw a mouth that big it had a hook in it!" Miss ya Rodney.

What a very large opening! With the effects there is a drifting in space quality that I find appealing. As nimble synths dance into view the bass line warms the soul. The groove is cemented with agile leads and large whooshes. I tell ya, I didn't see this coming.

Asteroid Escape- Hey look I'm bouncing! That's what the bass line told me anyway. And bounce it does, but it really picks up steam around 4 minutes as the arpeggio unravels. Not bad, but not the strongest track here. After that opening, it's kinda like a chick that says she's not that kind of girl while you are in between her legs.

Hyperspace- With a quieter, laid back vibe this one grumbles under the radar. Slowly evolving leads poke their heads out from their hidey holes as shimmering leads sprinkle down like the remnants of fireworks. Just some good, lush progressive to caress you as you rocket through hyperspace.

Flare Star- The synths vibrate waves of energy over a galloping bass line and do I hear a grumbling 303? It has a saunter to it,like it knows it's over 9 minutes and doesn't give a f*ck. What a massive rumbler with a f*ckton of layers that just scream power. The break allows it to brew like a strong cup of coffee before it adds some more house friendly leads. Whew, a cauldron of goodness here. Sit back and watch the sparks fly!

Posted Image

Cosmic Radiation- I'm calling this one space goa. That's what it is and shows that Dustin is comfortable in any style. The lead is one of sunshine as it races at full speed leaving a trail of flame on whatever it touches. The cool thing is that it never stops and just keeps twisting and turning. Where some goa is the firing of a bazooka this has the precision of a swordfight.

Celestial Queen-

Posted Image

"You are a dancing queen..."

Very sparkling melodies echo into deep space as this Queen has it's Ruby Red slippers on. Uber powerful in the British style as synths undulate across the cosmos. This track has me dancing even if the sample makes me feel like a dog that just peed on the rug. The break once again shines with a nice breakbeat. Groovy and then some.

Galaxy- If you're not yet noticing the space theme then you sir are obtuse. It is too a word, look it up. This has the typical progressive bounce with very spacious pads that make you realize how big a galaxy is. Digital farts...I hate that word.

*Looks at writers with disgust*

Can we come up with something a little more grown up? Sigh. Digital flatulence punctuates a very nice evolving melody...it's like I can see each molecule of water as it is poured from a pitcher. Not too detailed, but I liked what I heard.

Mars Getaway-

Posted Image

I thought about getting away to Mars but Arnold took the bullet on that one. On a side note, the nanny Arnold? Really? Did you already bang every hot piece of tail in California that you decided to go after a Lane Bryant model? Oh well, I can live through the shimmering synth wall as it pulsates against a plucky bass line. Funky stuff my brethren. But like your momma's bedroom, the break is where the magic happens. Large and airy...the break, not your mom. It takes a total turn from the staccato sound to a driving beat. It's twists like this that impress me.

Far Away From Home- What a great closer. The man effectively combines the hum of cyberspace with the liquidity of a deep ocean in a downtempo delight. Rumbling bass with creeping synths form a daddy can you leave the light on sense of unease. Love the percussive touches as this one has a lot going for it.

This is one of the best artists you have never heard of. Yeah I'm talkin' to you in your Younger Brother/Hallucinogen ivory tower. Dustin has shown he can do progressive, psytrance, goa, and downtempo. And that is just on this album alone. Now if he were just average that would be one thing, but this is high quality music. For me it is easily the best thing he has ever done. I highly recommend it if you like your music melodic, groovy, and varied. Good job!

Psyshop

Beatspace

Goastore

Mdk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...