48 Hours 8:06

The Portal 8:08

Monkshroom 8:41

Injected Spawn 8:17

Biosphere 9:24

Vitamin E 7:57

A Grain Of Sand 7:34

Controlled Experiment 9:12

Greetings, ladies and gentlemen. I have the up-most pleasure presenting you all the latest creation from Cronomi records, the goa label that keeps on giving and having quality over quantity. The label that other labels should take some notes from in a few regards. For example, I've found out that they actually push their artists with their creations, they want to release something that is very special and try to keep the quality as high as possible. Obviously, it's not all bad that artists don't get constructive criticism, since there are plenty of good releases out there, but it helps tremendously, especially since it seems the popular sound has gotten quite stale recently and there is a lack of depth and darkness in the music. There are finally enough artists for something new, progression and evolution is what should be pushed forwards and those are the aims of Cronomi records. I don't know if I can share any ideas I've heard from one of the managers of the label, but needless to say, they are something that haven't really been even thought about and definitely should be.

Earlier this year Cronomi records released a wonderful goatrance compilation "Erta Alé" ( review - http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/61143-va-erta-ale/ ) that brought back the spirit of old school with almost every single track. They sounded refined, deep, darker and most importantly, psychedelic. Someone said goatrance with a psytrance edge, that's right, but not the psytrance we've all come to know and hate/love with the full-on basslines and predictable effects and melodies, or lack thereof. No, but they successfully incorporated the psychedelicness, atmosphere and a tad mechanical sound that they had in the old days. Sure, there is still room to grow, but it's a huge step in the right direction. All I can think of is the analogy of moon-landing, but that's going a bit far. It had a track from an artists called Portamento and when you dig a little information about him, he has seemingly been producing since 1997, but keeping really underground and not having any releases until Cronomi picked him up. Seems like the story of Artha where he had been making music since forever but only had his first release in 2009 from, who else, Cronomi records.

I guess they decided it was now time to release what has been cooking in the oven for so long. Is it a disappointment or another success story that trumps everything other goa labels have managed to offer lately? That is, of course, excluding Dat Mafia Recordings.

CLICK FOR SAMPLES

White Dwarf

Synths and small acid speckles with a creepy slow male chant interlude us into this world of mystery and wonder. Phat acid leads and metallic tearing lead up to a really twisted, serious and a creepy melody that gets these screaming sharp synths backing it up. A break at 4:37 where the chanting continues and the soundscape suddenly turns really confined, soft like liquid. 5:20 alien sounds emerge bringing with them the softest acid lead at 6:05 that continues to make the whole thing immensely groovy until the mind bending climax. I really find the need to invest into this track to get everything out of it. It's so subtle in what it does and when it climaxes, it should really envelope you into it's lore. Great start to this album, setting up the mood perfectly.

48 Hours

Mysterious and dark jungle atmosphere, animal sounds emerge and a sample about genetics and DNA hollowly in the background. Hi-hats come in to picture, some fine psyfarty acid lead drills onward and a dimm pounding bassline arrives. Some more nasty acid work starts to go higher and higher. A dark melody arrives at 1:44 and the track is finally really taking you with it. Such dark alien atmosphere. At 2:10 there such a nicely timed and placed acid lead arrives that makes the track groovy as hell. 2:40 the track starts to expand the soundscape with a mysterious atmosphere that reeks of evil. A break comes and at 3:34 we have the most brilliant subtle thing "You have forty eight hours" que acid - That is such a goddamn nice touch. It's things like those that just make you appreciate the fact how deep and refined everything on this album is. 4:18 Pleiadian sounds emerge! The whole atmosphere is immensely groovy, dark, maddening and alien. The track keeps on pounding with growling distorted acid coupled with sharp synths, immense atmosphere and hypnotic soft acid leads that has such a nice contrast on the other layers. It never really climaxes but if you let yourself get lost in it, it will surely be just like a climax multiple times. Fantastic.

The Portal

Tiny acid farts floating around and a really 303-heavy bassline ramming forward. A sci-fi sample that sets off the kick. Suddenly this really awesome, alien sounding effect that sounds crystallic and metallic yet still organic that leaves us too soon. Melody starts to grow, acid fart effects galore(!!!). Growling acid adds up to it all and keeps injecting itself, evolving into more of a precise 303 sound until when the melody that arrives starts spinning the world. It sounds so twisted, serious and dark! The evolution of the track progresses even more, keeping a steady pace and then the melody climaxes whilst having the 303 groove your brain out. Break comes and sci-fi samples once again. A while later suddenly turns the track into a pure old school goa-fest where the melody is serious yet unserious and it sounds trippy fun and playful. Awesome effects and subtle melodies lead up to an eventual climax that you makes you relish the old school type sound. Fantastic track. I just love the acid fart nuances in the texturing. Just works so daymn well. Wonderful work yet again.

Monkshroom

Again a wonderfully detailed intro with lots of little effects going on and about whilst having an awesome sample about something transcendental. A blasting bassline, acid leads and a mixed sample of monk chanting. Just incredible richness in the texturing, it's so dense in effects but it's never too much, and then the melody arrives at 1:47 and boy what a melody it is. Twisted, knob-raped echoing raw growly acid that is incredibly hypnotizing. At 3:07 a new melody in the true spirit of SHAKTA and everything 90's! There is no question about it, I would have said this is old school Shakta melody if someone had asked and I didn't know better. That groovy acid is just wonderfully awesomely old schooly spiritedly greatnessly awesome. Yes that sentence is not actually grammatically correct, but I don't care. The track keeps going in that spirit and then 5:08 just does such a fantastic hypnotizing part that you can't but to dance to. The big melody comes back at the end and sends us off of this wonder called Monkshroom with a an outro full of interesting effects and sounds. This is what I call psychedelic goatrance alá 90's but with an updated sound. Utterly fantastic job, once again! I'm sure many old schoolers will find some real joy here.

Injected Spawn

A start off at what seems to be a spacecraft. Mysterious alien sounds and an ooming melody. A huge hypnotizing bassline that will make you stomp no matter what. Growling acid, soft acid, precise acid, quirky alien effects, sharp synths and somewhat melancholic melodies with awesome sample going "they were designed to die". At 3:50 there is a brilliant segment where the acid just takes you in, spirals hypnotically around your head. There's also a brilliant explosive climax at 5:50 that gets crazier and crazier, tornado like. Another winner.

Biosphere

Track title seems fitting, feels like you start off on a landscape not of this world. "biosphere ... life support" sample setting up the mood well. Reverbed growling leads,acid and a dark pure old schoolish goa bassline. Track feels to progress like a strong wind current with sweeping pads at 4:42 there is a part that sounds like something from Darshan's debut album. Fascinating and rich visual power. Afterward come really awesome sharp metallic growling leads and the twisted melody comes back more powerful than ever and continues till the end nicely with having a really sweet climax at 8:00 where it suddenly just tornadoes. Probably my least favourite track as it is kind-of stale most of the time, but it still has it's moments.

Vitamin E

Again a filled to the brim intro with sci-fi electronics style sounds for a change. "Engine, engine, engine" "el- elbow" and some flipping psychedelic melodies and sounds. 1:18 kicks of such an awesome hi-hat and also rest of the track with circling spiraling melodies, growling acid, wet dribbles. 2:13 strips off layers and the twisted melody comes back with this high pitch melody in the background giving it a nice harmony at 3:45 there is another slow down where the texturing and atmosphere is being let sink in while boiling up the next segment with rattling samples and awesome brooding evil melodies. The melody from beginning comes back at 6:10 and keeps going on strongly till the end and outro. Good track, though I wished the last segment had a third melody going on for a change of pace.

A Grain Of Sand

Outer spacey intro leading up to a sample "everything is imminent" and then makes the bassline explode. Just brooding power, snarling leads and subtle hihats. The melody comes and it's so immense, hypnotizing, groovy and powerful. Some subtle, yet striking melancholic pads just lift this track insanely high. Incredible sci-fi atmosphere and then the monstrously spiritual and mysterious acid melodies arrive at 1:42 - Holy phuck what the hell is this? Haven't heard this kind of stuff post-2000 at all. Seriously dark, mechanical but organic atmosphere throughout with incredible depth and richness. 2:58 a break comes and lets the atmosphere once again sink in for a while - "everything is imminent" as the sounds begin to come back. 4:15 303 melody arrives and 4:44 the spiritual melody is back and feels more powerful than ever. The way it just flows through your body. To one ear and out the other they say, I'd say they both try to consume every single bit of the aural beauty you're hearing here and using that as a power source for the rest of the body. Fucking wonderful work!

Controlled Experiment

Downtempo? Nah. Acid being spat out as if it were the artifact303 album as so with the atmosphere, just more serious. Growly acid at 1:09 hitting the nerves and, suddenly, goa-trumpets - I really have no idea how else to say it, it's an interesting psychedelic sound though not very serious. At 2:18 MFG style synth work appears and will definitely hoook the listener in it's hypnotizing power. Oh how I wish so many more artists did this too, I adore and miss the MFG sound - Wait a minute, now that I think of it, the whole rest of track sounds like a tribute to MFG. Rattling synths, hypnotizing style, pounding bassline from beginning to the end. Starts a tad abruptly, but when the synths hit at 2:18 everything is forgiven. Awesome ender! Especially for a lover of MFG.

This album is exactly what new school should be doing more. Immersefull, alien, mysterious soundscapes and atmospheres, extremely rich layer texturing, hypnotizing basslines and melodies that aren't happy or just uplifting, but more darker, twisted, interesting and refined. I must say though that this album has apparently mostly been written (Corrected) in the early 2000s, it's just been reworked and modernized for today's overall sound. So this might as well have been another one of the classics by now. This album reminds me a little bit of albums like UX - Ultimate Experience and tiny bit like Shakta - Silicon Trip, except, well, it's a complete other style. Characterized best by the somewhat insane use of 303. Sometimes it feels like there's a little bit too much of it! Though it's put to such good use that it's hard to complain.

Aside from that, the main feeling this album leaves is how refined it is. Everything seems thought-out and there aren't layers just to have more layers, but everything feels like it has a purpose. It all adds up and never feels random. The flow of them is just smooth perfection. A couple tracks that weren't as good as the rest and the rest being simply wonderful work. If I had to complain about somethings it might get a little too much for some listeners, as the style doesn't change much, but it will still take plenty of tracks before that might happen and the fact is, imo you really have to invest into getting everything out of it. The Portal doesn't sound too special as a background noise because of the subtlety of it. Also it would have been very interesting to have a downtempo track with this kind of style, but maybe that's for another time. Mastering is perfection, I feel like Colin OOOD should master every single release ever. Just striking sound separation and dynamics with my headphones just like with Erta Alé.

Go buy this thing, it's up there of the highest quality goa and even what psy offers today. This is quality over quantity, by far. Other goa artists should take notes. Cronomi and Portamento, you rock!

Where to get it and samples?

http://beatspace.com/6639/Cronomi+Records/PORTAMENTO/The+Portal+/detail.aspx

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=8850

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/crm/crm1cd005.html

http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=4582

You can private message DJ Inada aka HappyHorse if you want to order directly from the label and please do so as it 100% supports the label!

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/user/4387-happyhorse/

• Like 1

@ Penzoline

I agree with your review. The mastering ,multi-layered sounds, build up and the touch of 90's are the style I like. For me, it's the best new school goa release, since Filterias first appearance in 2004. I like every track from start to finish. The last track is a bit more downtempo with great melodies. My congratulations to the artist. A really special release.

P.S. My english sucks :)

• 2 weeks later...

just i heard the tracks at youtube

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

propably we talk for the BEST cd realese of what called ''neo goa''

no cheesy at all(i expect exact the opposite)

acidic melodies from the past

it will be shame to loose such a good cd

soon i will add this at my collection

well done CHRONOMIANS

Too bad, that this pure gold goa album doesn't have the response on this thread that it deserved to.

http://www.discogs.c...release/3089702

please write us a review: good or bad :) so we can learn, always nice

Expect btw some real suprises in future from us: working on 2 very special things :)

any how: enjoy it :) (you can order cd's with me for our full support as you know)

Nice rev Penzoline.

Smashing release!! Just the perfect dose of goa 303 acid sounds! Samples are sweet and match beautifully, especially like the 48 hrs sample, biosphere as well.

Huge energy and flow, with beautiful timing also.

Almost perfect release, great stuff.

Posted Image

Artist: Portamento

Title: The Portal

Label: Cronomi Records

Date: September, 2011

1. White Dwarf

2. 48 Hours

3. The Portal

4. Monkshroom

5. Injected Spawn

6. Biosphere

7. Vitamin E

8. A Grain Of Sand

9. Controlled Experiment

So I'm washing my car yesterday cause I hit a deer and this guy walks by giving me the ol stinkeye.

Posted Image

"Hey! Hey, Kumar see something ya like!?! Why don't you take a picture it'll last longer!"

Jeez, freaking lookiloo...

Anyway while I was washing my car I couldn't wait to listen to this album. This is Jesper Hahn from...no, lemme alone. He is from....NO! I said no I'm not doing it so stop bothering me.

You're not going to let it go are you?

Posted Image

HAHNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

I listened to the samples of a few tracks and quickly came to the realization that I didn't want to walk through this portal.

Posted Image

Hell no, I wanted to backflip into this motherf*cker.

Cronomi Records fresh off the success of the phenomenal Erta Ale compilation bring you Jesper's debut. Penzoline did an excellent review of the technical stuff, but after spending some time with this album I thought I would add my own 2 cents.

White Dwarf- The aliens have officially landed as acidic droplets sparkle in their footsteps forcing you to keep your distance. It comes in waves like a stong set in advance of a hurricane. The layers are thick yet very clear and there is a good balance of the highs and the lows. The whole track reeks of quality and has plenty of chapters to keep it fresh. After a thorough evaluation with the latest equipment

Posted Image

this track has balls.

48 Hours- "You have 48 hours. That is the length of time it needs to adapt itself to our living conditions."

With a deep thumping beat and scratchy synths the aliens are let loose! It growls and sneers, but at 2:15 a 303 like an Indiana Jones whip flashes across the skin only it has spikes on it. And it's on fire. The detail is razor sharp as that lead rumbles and chirps. Just when you think it hits it's peak like a horny teenager on spring break, a new batch of squirty effects usher in some more power. When the 303 returns it's time to hit the floor.

Posted Image

After captaining the New York Rangers to a Stanley Cup in 94, Mark Messier finds the dancing title most elusive of all.

The Portal- "We don't select our destinations by what peaks our interest."

Well, then you're are a sh*tty travel agency. If I want to go to Spain, don't send me to Kosovo b*tch. The kick is almost Nitzho in nature, but there is no mistaking that shimmering bubbling of a goa trance melody. Soon that is joined by an acidic tomahawk missile and we are at groove level 4. Synths pile on top of synths yet you can follow them all as if they were working solo. Super great sound as one lead melody gently fades into an other.

Monkshroom- More alien sounds...man if this is on the other side of the Portal we might want to close that motherf*cker. Racing synths that don't seem to be in a particular hurry crawl up the walls and all over the ceiling. The beat is driving and this is to goa trance what God Save the Machine was to psytrance. There is a growl to this one as well almost like it's daring you to listen to it. Great stuff.

Posted Image

"You got mushrooms and extra cheese on that pie right?"

Injected Spawn- The very title sounds so very...very...I dunno

Posted Image

Yeah, alien.

Dark times call for dark music. This is practically Greece's soundtrack right about now. So many layers creating a lush atmosphere it's hard to fathom. Couple that with a great bounce and we have another winner. There are so many sounds swirling about and a break that really hammers home the isolated and alone feeling.

*Puts finger to earpiece*

What's that? We actually have footage of the alien race waiting to enslave mankind? Roll it!

Posted Image

God help us.

Biosphere- We're safe in the biosphere right? RIGHT? Wrong. More growling synths as well as a bass sound that makes a squishy sound like a footprint in the mud. Aw f*ck...those were new boots. Shimmering acid lines cascade over each other like I can see each quantum of sunlight. But there ain't no sunshine and smiley faces here as the sinister intentions bubble over the surface. The break offers a measure of peace and solace but you know that is short lived. This is another danceable tune that soars into the sky with a action packed climax. Marvellous.

Vitamin E- So...is vitamin E the only thing that will prevent the human race from becoming incubating systems? If so, where can we find an abundant supply? A-ha! Found a goldmine!

Posted Image

Jackpot!

Warped sounds with slow attack rates filter down while the aliens land their spaceship in a barren field. Outer space goa to its maximum. Very little rest here as it pulsates and adds new synths that scrape the firmament. Acidelicious!

A Grain of Sand- Yep. Just as I feared. This is where the probing begins. Nothing left to do but bend over and take one for the planet I say. He's really mastered the transition from lead to lead as it's seamless. It's fast paced as leads swirl and scream at the same time in this aggressive acidic firefight. The break seethes with life and before you know it you're right back into the fray. Get your oven mits on, this one's a hot potato.

Controlled Experiment- Bubbling, snapping, ladies and gents this is as downtempo as it gets. Crystal clear 303's, scratchy bass, this ones a builder with a f*cking addictive melody that I was dancing to 4 hours after I put this away. The melodies are spiritual with juicy textures and you get swept up in its rapture. The track breathes...I mean, the track actually breathes! If this is what alien probing is like than sign me up, cause I am feeling no pain. I don't know what those rednecks complain about. Outerspace goa this f*cking fantastic demands a dance that's out of this world.

Posted Image

Lush. Atmospheric. Supremely melodic. There aren't enough adjectives to describe how awesome this is. Every sound is clear as hell and the layers....omigod the layers! We have reached the pinnacle my friends as a new benchmark has been set. Congratulations Jesper and congratulations Cronomi. You are the Ying to Suntrip's Yang. Out.F*cking.Standing.

If you don't buy this...you're dead to me.

http://www.psyshop.c.../crm1cd005.html

http://www.beatspace...al+/detail.aspx

http://www.goastore....roducts_id=4582

Mdk

please write us a review: good or bad :) so we can learn, always nice

Expect btw some real suprises in future from us: working on 2 very special things :)

any how: enjoy it :) (you can order cd's with me for our full support as you know)

Sorry, my English is to limited to generally review.

Lush. Atmospheric. Supremely melodic. There aren't enough adjectives to describe how awesome this is. Every sound is clear as hell and the layers....omigod the layers! We have reached the pinnacle my friends as a new benchmark has been set. Congratulations Jesper and congratulations Cronomi. You are the Ying to Suntrip's Yang. Out.F*cking.Standing.

If you don't buy this...you're dead to me.

Mdk

I full agree

First time I heard PortaMento was at a live-gig back in 2006 playing just before Filteria (link), and what a blast of multilayer acid that was!!!

...and this album, OMfuckingG! :wacko::blink::ph34r::D

It very much live up to that first impression! Brilliant story-telling with those never ending acid-lines that weaves in and out as if there were no tomorrow, I love it! :wub:

And it is very true as many others have pointed out, the darkish atmosphere really suits new school goa. The bass-layers are just relentless, wobbling away like T-Rex on a rampage! The depths here are really unique in todays movement, I hope this inspires more to come in this direction!

Hats of for PortaMento, great album, this could very likely become a classic release!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To me, this album is battling against Nova Fractal work for the top spot as the best neo goa trance release. Intelligente melodies and what I like best: a hard kick that doesn't let the dancefloor stop. Very, very good!

It is a pity that it was released commercially and not as a free download work, I am sure it would have caused more noise. Such a good work is lost in the mid of shelves and shelves of bad full on in the sites where it's being sold.

Nonetheless, it's a brilliant piece of goa. I have played some tracks in my lounge bar and people come to the counter asking about it.

• 4 months later...

Together with Crossing Mind's "Inner Shift" this is the best post-2000 psytrance album for me. I love the way he builds the tracks, adding countless and ever evolving layers of melodies, background squelches and effects - it is almost impossible how it all fits together, how the sounds complement each other and how they "speak" to one another. For me this CD is up there with Cosmosis, Shakta, Hallucinogen, Koxbox and Green Nuns - yes, it is that good! And - compared to 'standard' neo-goa of today - it is much more psychedelic, a bit darker and harder with screeching, piercing sounds everywhere; but can be moody and gentle at the same time when needed. Favourite tracks - ALL!!!

One more thing - I think that at least 1/3 of the appeal of this album comes from wonderful mastering of Colin OOOD, who managed to make it punchy, very clear and highlighted all the tweaking perfectly.