RIP Steve Jobs

Rotwang

He was a very clever man, a visionary technologist, a good judge of design and an exceptional salesman. He was also apparently a bully and a tyrant in the workplace, traits which found their echos in the aggresively litigious and acquisitive behaviour of his company. He was a monopolist who, despite having dropped acid and despite referring to himself as a buddhist, kept his billions to himself and gave none to charity. His company's products were amongst the most obvious examples of built-in obsolescence whose attractive exterior design hid an interior that was intentionally difficult or impossible for the user to fix on their own, even for something as simple as changing a battery. Like many companies, Apple's product development and marketing rollout were designed specifically to entice people to spend again and again and again in the unnecessary and wasteful pursuit of technological fashion. He also denied paternity of his daughter for quite a few years.

There is a hippy bullshit theory which says that cancer is caused by stress... his internal life must often have been difficult for him and for that he has my sympathy, as do his family and close friends. RIP Steve Jobs.

Do you know for a fact that he gave none to charity? I've never heard anything either way (not that I've been paying attention), though it's possible that he gave money to charity and didn't tell anyone about it.

Do you know for a fact that he gave none to charity? I've never heard anything either way (not that I've been paying attention), though it's possible that he gave money to charity and didn't tell anyone about it.

Maybe it's just me but he doesn't seem like a guy who wouldn't tell anyone about that.

Maybe it's just me but he doesn't seem like a guy who wouldn't tell anyone about that.

Might very well be. But it seems he was not very interested in the work circumstances of his employes (Foxconn anyone?). As far as I can tell he wasn't any better than the rest of the people in his position so being a buddhist and droping acid didn't make much of a difference. That does of course not make his achievement for Apple any smaller. But being a successful CEO does not automatically make you a good person.