Psychedelic Trance Pioneers

GagaISM

A lot of the members on this board stress the fact that Koxbox ain't Goa Trance. Not that it doesn't make sense. But what I'm wondering then is when Goa and Psy became two distinct genres. If The Infinity Project and Astral Project (among others) are the Godfathers of Goa, then who are the Godfathers of Psy?

Well to my ears, early Koxbox output definitely is Goa-trance, just a tad different then let's say Mfg or Etnica. I don't really consider them psy except for the great unknown, but that is a stellar album in it's own right, combining so many different angles to this music in one.

To me, one of the pioneers of the more abstract, bleeping and toinking psytrance certainly is Hux Flux!

While opininons are contradictory on this one. I consider goa-trance to be a subgenre of psychedelic trance,and i certainly consider Koxbox to be goa-ish - although it doesn't have the oriental melodies but goa isn't only restricted to it.

Hux flux and GMS might be called early full-on and X-dream psytech/tech-trance

I also believe GoaTrance is now considered as a subgenre of all the Psychedelic (Trance) musics.

However if you ask anyone on the street, he will tell you Goa is what Astral Projection or Hallucinogen did, whereas what GMS produced was Psy... That's because in the beginning (95-96), there was only GoaTrance. And later when guys like X-Dream or GMS introduced different recognizable styles (Minimal, FullOn, etc), there had to be a common denominator that got called Psycehdelic Trance.

So depending on your "school" you might state (1)"Goa is a subgenre of Psy" OR just (2) "something next to it and completely different". I hope this clarifies.

As for myself, if I consider (2), which is what the original poster had in mind, I'd say the father of Psy (and FullOn) was Absolum. I'd discussed that a few years ago very seriously with some artists and there were convergent opinions.

Maybe someone sees some of the artists below as Goa trance. To my opinion the were doing psy trance or they moved into psy trance in the late 90s.

Quirk (Machina Electrica & Fornax Chemica)

Synchro

GMS

Psychaos (at least from "chaos to order" onwards)

Tristan and the Aquatec crew

Deviant Species

Cydonia

Metal Spark

X dream - The delta - children of paradise

KoxBox

Sandman

Xerox & freeman

P Cok

Enertopia

Talamasca

Hallucinogen - Beast - Infernal Machine

Space tribe

Sun Project

Jojouka

Tromesa

ManMadeMan

GNOTR

Bamboo Forest

Absolum

Nucleus

Solaris

Eat Static

Tim Schuldt

etc.......

A good compilation that, at least to me, marks the shift from Goa to Psytrance is Resonance Mood, from Matsuri. And indeed, a couple of the artists mentioned in this thread return here. Check it out!

Cool compilation!! I would add Nervasystem, from the artists in that cd, to the list of the ones doing psy from the very begining.

A good compilation that, at least to me, marks the shift from Goa to Psytrance is Resonance Mood, from Matsuri. And indeed, a couple of the artists mentioned in this thread return here. Check it out!

TIP Records had a few compilations as well:

VA - Phosphorescent (1996)

VA - 3D (1997)

and later

VA - Beyond Colour (1998)

and we soundn't forget

Orichalcum & The Deviant (1997)

and of course

Psychopod – Headlines EP (1997) (When talking about koxbox ;))

• 2 months later...

Psy Gurus

Tsyoshi Suzuki

Simon Posford

Mark Allen

Nick Taylor

Gus Till

Serge Souque

Bilbo Baggins

Avi Elgranati

Nick Doof

Dick Trevor

James Munro

Colin OOOD

Andy Guthrie

and of course

the KOXBOX and EAT STATIC collectives

to name a few....

Wow, so you guys are claiming all the true old "goa" tracks I liked were actually just psy tracks made in the 90s?

I consider old IM, Hallucinogen and GMS to be favorites and for once I was CONVINCED they were really goa and not psy.

This proves that my "liking"-ratio between psy and goa is almost the same as with drum & bass and jungle (all for drum & bass, none for jungle), although I really love Bypass Unit and Moonweed for goa, or are they also oldschool psy?