Sackzement!

RTP

Heilige Scheisse!

The last three days or so I was haunted by this dead simple synth tune ... and I couldn't find out what track it was. It was terrible. I wanted to know the track, I had to know it, after all I had listened to it so often some time that I remember the tune.

The melody was kinda Shiva Chandra-esque ... so I went through all his tunes that I know. I also searched on youtube. But none of these tracks was it. What could it be?

Yesterday I was hitting the desk, so enraged it got me. The melody was in my head, ever repeating, such as if the track title was just about to reveal, but it never revealed itself, it just stayed like that. It haunted me. It was so damn annoying.

Today, finally, the torment has an end. I've just been jogging and I FOUND IT while surfing through the tunes on my mp3 player.

SACKZEMENT! (=german outcry for something surprising, astonishing, even a curse)

It's the melody from Auricular - Hypnotize (from the Deep Fact EP)!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNCTrEqLybQ

So I was even right with Shiva Chandra, but I just was checking the wrong moniker.

Anyway. Such haunting melodies are crap! I hate that so much!

Any other sufferers of such things?

Yes, it does mean "a bag of cement".

And germans say it in a cursing, astonished, surprised kind of way.

At least I think :P

That's why I used the word.

I myself don't really say that ... I know the word only from Duck Tales comics that I read when I was 14 ... but I kinda thought it fitting here.

Whatever...

The suffering is awful.

I believe it has to do with certain processes in the brain. The brain just plays music and it doesn't stop. Awful. It doesn't even stop now, I just left the house and it continued to play. But at least I now know what song it is.

Seriously though, you don't have that?

When coming home from a psy party, the music doesn't continue to play in your head either?

It does in mine.

I can play whole psy "livesets" to myself on a day after I went to a party, twist the sounds around, the beats.

So at least the meloy haunting has a good side to it aswell...

The melody was in my head, ever repeating, such as if the track title was just about to reveal, but it never revealed itself, it just stayed like that. It haunted me. It was so damn annoying.

Any other sufferers of such things?

I've experienced something similar to what you describe. With certain tracks I get a feeling of deja vu, as if I've heard this music years before. But of course I haven't and the music just hit a sweet spot in my brain... it's like seeing a beautiful woman and being reminded of a happy time from the past.

The repeating melody thing is called an "earworm". I hadn't thought about it this way, but it makes sense that obsessing over who made the song would reinforce the earworm.

The good news is that my earworms went away after I found the track in question, so yours should too.

The repeating melody thing is called an "earworm". I hadn't thought about it this way, but it makes sense that obsessing over who made the song would reinforce the earworm.

That makes me think of an earwig.

Posted Image

DO NOT WANT

Awesome song, BTW.

Earworm! Yes, it's called like that in german too - "Ohrwurm". I just wasn't using the term because I was thinking that this word doesn't exist in english ... so I used sackzement, which is totally out of context and even less known, but well :P

The interesting thing about the earwigs is that we also say "Ohrwurm" (earworm) to the earwigs. It's the same term. I hate earwigs ... we had a lot of them in our garden and I was always paranoid one would crawl into my ear when sleeping...

Fortunately it's just earworms what I have ... not earwigs.

BTW, Walkabout, I thought you were a chick. Aren't you? :P