Posted Image

Artist: Tantrix

Title: Red EP

Label: Blue Hour Sounds

Date: June, 2011

1. Tan-Tricks

2. Network

3. Lost In Jesi

I'm calling this one in on my cell phone cause I'm out and about doing a lot of errands. Blue Hour Sounds is a label that...hold up a sec. I got a thing I need to take care of...

Posted Image

As I was saying, Blue Hour Sounds is a label based in Italy that has released a couple of good compilations (Garden of Delights and Made of Dawn) as well as a series of colored EP's

Posted Image

For f*ck's sake, really? Fine. A series consisting of EP's of color. Here are three that I have reviewed:

Ianuaria - Orange EP

Gido - Indigo EP

Gaiana - Blue EP

Tantrix are Antonio Catalano & Toby Pearce based in the UK and the British psytrance style is driving, melodic, and hypnotic. It's multi-layered giving depth to the tracks.

Tan-Tricks- The first two minutes it sounds like a forest track with the distorted leads echoing off into the night. But then it morphs with a dare I say spooky goa melody that soon gets company. Long metallic sweeps with a bunch of leads gives it some depth. It's driving and the break is pulsating like you're listening through a wall or something. Nothing elaborate, just good, straight forward power psy.

Network- "I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. Banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter, punks are running wild in the street and nobody anywhere seems to know what to do and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe, our food is unfit to eat. We sit and watching tv's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had 15 homicides and 63 violent crimes like that's the way it's supposed to be. They're crazy! It's like everything everywhere is going crazy. So we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house and slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller and all we say is "please at least leave us alone in our living room. Let me have my toaster and my tv and my steel belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone!"

Could be the greatest rant ever. Obviously that outburst is from the old movie Network but I'm more familiar with it because the part where he tells us to open the window and say we aren't gonna take it anymore is popular at NHL games. More driving psytrance with a pretty simple bass line. To be honest, the sample is the real star here, and it dominates the entire track. Not as deep as the previous track but a pretty good thumper.

Lost In Jesi- "How do I find that place inside of me where I can stop listening to this weird voice and start really listening? How do I find peace of mind?"

I knew a girl named Jesi. And believe me when I tell you the last thing I wanted to do was get lost in her. Get shivers just thinking about it. This one has some nice bass sweeps and acid leads. Some real Electric Universe type stuff before he went f*cking insane and released Higher Modes or whatever the f*ck it was called. The leads are the slow, evolving I'm gonna filter the hell out of you style that work well. Good without being remarkable.

More good stuff from this label. Straight ahead psytrance that isn't boring but is well produced. Another thing these guys have going for them is the samples. You can understand them and they seem to be perfectly placed. Recommended for those that love that British sound.

Beatport

JunoDownload

Mdk

• 2 weeks later...