What's Up With Ektoplazm?

BraneFreeze

He had some problems with the servers and had to move servers (As far as I could tell from tweets) and then he is on a well deserved holiday. Ektoplazm will be back. Do not forget it's not a business but a one man's hobby. I think he does a great job. In the meantime there's tons of music to explore ;)

Indeed, Basilisk got some issues with servers at the moment (slow download speed, site crushes) and hopefully he will do some testings this week and if all goes well, announced releases will be up and ready. I'm sure he will post reasons about this and details about future of Ektoplazm.

What's up? I finished university and moved out. Simultaneously, my web hosting situation deteriorated, with transfer rates dropping from respectable levels to a mere 60 to 90 kb/s at all times. Although I've gone back and forth with my host for weeks now it still isn't fixed. Since I feel like I am out of options, I will be posting up a slew of releases that have been delayed, and apologize in advance for the additional time it will take everyone to download all the new music.

I don't quite know what to do moving forward but hope to make a post about the future of the site in the next little while. I think it's time for some community input as I've been stewing in my own thoughts for far too long. And yes, as noted, it has just been a hobby (a tremendously expensive and time-consuming one, mind you), and now that I'm done school I might not be able to invest as heavily in the site as I have for the past five years. It really depends on what I decide to do in the near future.

What's up? I finished university and moved out. Simultaneously, my web hosting situation deteriorated, with transfer rates dropping from respectable levels to a mere 60 to 90 kb/s at all times. Although I've gone back and forth with my host for weeks now it still isn't fixed. Since I feel like I am out of options, I will be posting up a slew of releases that have been delayed, and apologize in advance for the additional time it will take everyone to download all the new music.

I don't quite know what to do moving forward but hope to make a post about the future of the site in the next little while. I think it's time for some community input as I've been stewing in my own thoughts for far too long. And yes, as noted, it has just been a hobby (a tremendously expensive and time-consuming one, mind you), and now that I'm done school I might not be able to invest as heavily in the site as I have for the past five years. It really depends on what I decide to do in the near future.

Congratulations on finishing university! Whatever you decide on in regards to the site, I think the community will back you, and take it easy we can wait :)

How about a little assistance, as far as any time-consuming tasks?

I've been working on the site pretty much non-stop for a couple of days now... things are looking up. Let me know if you are experiencing good or bad transfer rates wherever you are. I switched the server and it seems to be much more responsive.

Fundraising? Donations are always welcome, of course :) I try not to bother anyone about it too much and simply hope that if people find the site useful that they would contribute within their means. Some months support is strong, and on others I pay out of my pocket to keep the site afloat. I could say more but I'll leave it at that.

As for time-consuming tasks, yes, it is possible I could delegate some of the work. It is something I will write about soon. The main priority right now is getting everything back to where it was earlier this summer.

Fundraising? Donations are always welcome, of course :) I try not to bother anyone about it too much and simply hope that if people find the site useful that they would contribute within their means. Some months support is strong, and on others I pay out of my pocket to keep the site afloat. I could say more but I'll leave it at that.

Doesn't cost you anything to add a feature on the home page, and might help covering costs for a while, if people respond :)

I think that google adds also helps, not that much but if every 2-3 day one person click on it, it might help a bit. I'm not familiar about clicking income from google and how does it exactly work, only thing that I remember from one site is that you can't click all the time from one IP.

Have you considered having torrents on your site also? The speed is usually much much faster.

The situation has changed somewhat but this is still valid:

http://www.ektoplazm.com/2011/bittorrent-is-not-the-solution

Google ads make less than the cost of hosting but at least they're something. Still, I'd rather take on advertising from within the psytrance scene.