Youtube legalities

Veracohr

Anyone know much about the legalities of putting songs on Youtube you don't own the copyrights to?

I'm respectful of copyrights, but I know a lot of people upload videos with songs to Youtube regardless and seem to not have any problems. I picked up a record a while back that has an absolutely awesome acid trance song which I'd like to share with people, but I can't find it online anywhere to link to. I'd like to upload it to Youtube or somewhere else, but I don't want to get sued or anything. The song I want to put up is from 1995 and as far as I can tell was only ever released on vinyl, so it's not like it's still available to make the artist any money.

What do you think?

They tamper with sound quality. It sounds like crap.

But it gives exposure - if people will want the high quality version, they will find it eventually.

Just what I thought. Wasn't sure if it's the source file that has been bad because listen to music on youtube is unbearable.

A year ago I started to upload some stuff on youtube and only removal was from Zirrex and Hado Records. Youtube just informed me about it and that's all. I think that labels or any other copyright owner decide if they want to remove it (if they want, they contact youtube and they remove it right away). But nowdays, promoting music via youtube is just great for labels and for artists because a lot of people are using that site as good base for previewing music/movies/whatever.

Plus, ripping music from youtube isn't like ripping it from a CD, there is a huge diference in quality, especialy because of thoose youtube compressions.

If you decide to upload something, try to post all useful links in description tab, something about artist/release/label and offcourse links for purchasing that same release!

Yeah I could upload it to Soundcloud, but I'd like to keep my Soundcloud page just for my own music. I'm not such a philanthropist that I feel a need to give people the best quality of someone else's song. :P

Of course, I need to figure out how to make a video. I've just got this dumb iMovie application which puts a limit on the length of time you can play a single source for, like a still image. I don't get that.

Yeah I could upload it to Soundcloud, but I'd like to keep my Soundcloud page just for my own music. I'm not such a philanthropist that I feel a need to give people the best quality of someone else's song. :P

Of course, I need to figure out how to make a video. I've just got this dumb iMovie application which puts a limit on the length of time you can play a single source for, like a still image. I don't get that.

If you got Windows, try with Windows movie maker, it's not hard to use and you can combine images/transitions/music and export it in different qualities :)

You could use a demo trial of Sony Vegas like I did.

(60 days free trial)

If you got Windows, try with Windows movie maker, it's not hard to use and you can combine images/transitions/music and export it in different qualities :)

You could use a demo trial of Sony Vegas like I did.

(60 days free trial)

Unfortunately for both those ideas, I'm a Mac user. But maybe I can find a demo trial of some Mac program.

Unfortunately for both those ideas, I'm a Mac user. But maybe I can find a demo trial of some Mac program.

Errr...I may completely wrong, but isn't iMovie the app for that? It comes with the installation package CDs.

I have it here, never used it, but I think it is some sort of image editor. You must have it too in your Mac.

Errr...I may completely wrong, but isn't iMovie the app for that? It comes with the installation package CDs.

I have it here, never used it, but I think it is some sort of image editor. You must have it too in your Mac.

Yeah, I have it, but as I said, it won't let me use a single still image for as long as I want. I tried this once; I wanted to make a boring 'video' with a still image throughout the whole thing just to put a song of mine on Youtube, and iMovie wouldn't let me use a single still image for more than 2 minutes or something like that. It's a stupid fucking program. I guess it would be OK if your sources were all actual video sources (not still images), but it didn't work for what I wanted to do.