3. I've Got Something

4. In Between

5. When The Sun Rises

6. Blue Lights

7. Searching

8. Tekknobonk

9. A Smile On Your Face Makes You More Beautiful

10. Chasing Shadows

Finally some good progressive sounds from Iboga - I have to make peace with that label. I thought I gave up on it already, choosing a course for its Iboga Trance sublabel, where one can find more trancey trance when compared with the main label. On one hand it is a delicate album, on the other hand it can kick as it is supposed to. The first significant thing that throws one on his knees is the cover and the very accurate title, not to mention the slick layout of the disc itself, which was dressed in the image of an audio recording tape. Of course the music is the most important thing and the one we were given here is really good material intended for immediate and frequent consumption.

In "Session Of Progression" Andreas Wennersköld treats us with a portion of great progressive psytrance in a fine packing. I admire the author that in the flood of overdone and stylized tracks, which do not have much in common with true psy-progrressive tunes and which dive freely in the depths of boring electro and mincing house, he did not forget about the most important thing - the sense of what it really is about. Simply listen to a track like "High On Life", where we have the essence of this music, with the emphasis on energy and rhythm. Gaudium does not copy himself in subsequent tracks, providing quite diverse vibes in each of them, thus making it easier to memorize the individual tunes. Anyhow, just compare the sunny beach anthem "When The Sun Rises" and the quite gloomy "Searching" - the conclusions will draw themselves. There are also various elements that seemingly relate to the early stages of Vibrasphere's output. There is nothing else to do but to listen to these tracks while driving a car, or have a total blast at a club/open air party or on a sandy beach with them as the sonic background.

"Session Of Progression" is the perfect album for those who worry that the current progressive psytrance sank completely in the pool of house and electro, or is represented only by the secondary Zyce-Nerso-Flegma clique and the likes. Among progressive releases this album is undoubtedly a distinctive one, especially for all those who were waiting impatiently for some sort of boost as far as this genre is concerned. I am glad that someone finally woke regarding the weakened image of progressive psytrance. It is really worth having the session with this CD.

Templar / http://www.psytrance.pl

Links:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ibo/ibo1cd073.html

• 1 year later...

Gaudium ‎– Session Of Progression (2011)

I have always been a fan of Gaudium but with this release,

they really pulled it off. Is this progressive? fullon? Both :)

I don't care it's good. To be progressive it's very strong,

they use often fullon baselines but have a minimal approach

in their first and last track what creates professionalism.

There is nothing overloaded, everything fits at the right moment

and Gaudium doesn't need to proof him or their selves with big climaxes

but get their profit from small detailed production melodies or patterns.

Long stretched, floating and pure harmony...

Discogs: http://www.discogs.c...n/master/359236

• 2 months later...

Gaudium-SessionofProgression_zps9c460edb

Artist: Gaudium

Title: Session of Progression

Label: Iboga Trance

Date: August, 2011

1. Undercover
2. High on life
3. I've got something
4. In Between
5. When the sun rises
6. Blue Lights
7. Searching
8. Tekknobonk
9. A smile on your face makes you more beautiful
10. Chasing Shadows

"And now for our feature presentation."

Gaudium is Andreas Wennersköld and this is the third album of this project. Used to be a duo but I guess the other guy went for sandwiches and never came back. Another Subway tragedy. That's usually how it goes right? Like one of the previous reviewers I had all but given up on Iboga. When other labels are making much grander stuff, I don't have time to sift through your boring music.

Well, surprise surprise. Sure, he opens with Undercover which we have all heard 78 times before and I almost shut it off right there. But I'm glad I didn't because he just had to get warmed up. High on Life sees him reach into his bag of tricks as it accumulated momentum as the track went on with maximum groove and effect placement. He starts to get a little frisky with I've Got Something...

dryheave_zps7d8442c6.gif

"Oh God, Oh God that was a dude? No...no, no, no, no....What? Yeah I know she peed standing up I thought she didn't wanna sit on the dirty seat! Oh God I'm gonna be sick."

Good bounce to that one and I really liked the chopped up acoustic guitar strum near the middle. It's a sunshine smile. In Between is a psy-gressive stormer that doesn't forget the details or the 303. Yep right about here is where he kicked the door in.

When the Sun Rises...

goatride_zps7e1fe8b4.jpg

Make sure you have your goat. F*ck cafeteria milk I'll just bring mine from home.

...gets back to the wide open reverberating progressive style that I like with a little bit of growl. It's 10 minutes long so like a frat boy with a bad hangover, it takes a little bit to wake up. It's smooth and dreamy that bordered on dream trance. Almost felt guilty listening to it.

Almost.

Blue Lights was ok and Searching had an interesting percussive backdrop with some nastiness frothing just beneath the surface while ethereal melodies floated above the fray. Different to say the least. Tekknobonk is chunky like your last girlfriend that you didn't think we knew about. Echoing trails of sound like she did crumbs. Like 303? Of course you do. Some here for ya. Wait here comes your "girl"

terriblenews_zpse90f5683.gif

Look we were all sad when Food Lion ran out of twinkies, but you do know there is a convenience store 300 yards down the road right?

A Smile On Your Face Makes You More Beautiful

cainsmile_zpsa5dfed6d.gif

No it doesn't. It makes me move my kids across the street away from you. Did you register? The beginning is delightfully evil and there he goes again with the 303. You would think Filipe Santos was up in this motherf*cker. The break is evil and has me thinking that Herman Cain was the perfect gif for this track. Hide yo kids.

Chasing Shadows is the last track and it is a mixture of Iono and Iboga styles. Not bad, but nothing special. Now that I think about it, he kinda went out like a b*tch.

Pretty good album. Nah, more than that. It's f*cking solid. Intelligent and smooth with some aggressive areas, I would put this in the psy-gressive box. Eerie at times while at others, being quite dreamy. Very melodic and well worth your time.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Goastore

Mdk