The Album Race: S-Range vs. Astral Projection

RTP

Album Race 2011  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the "Album Race" by releaseing his new album first?

• S-Range
    • Astral Projection

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me present you The Album Race!

We (that's me in this case, I am just saying "we" to sound awesome :D ) have picked two artists in a comparable position - S-Range and Astral Projection - and the title suggests: it is about the release of a new album.

These two artists interestingly have the same situation concerning the release of a new album. Summarized in short: it takes ages and there is no output. The only thing that fans who are eagerly awaiting the new release seem to get from them is postpones and postpones and postpones. And postpones. And lets not forget postpones.

Anybody can prove me wrong? Do it PLEASE!

There is a number of other similarities between these two aswell which only support the fact that they are indeed comparable:

- both artists have been switching label

- both artists have released and are still releasing tracks and / or collaboration tracks which get published on compilations or albums of other artists

- both artists have released a Remix Album after their last one

- both artists are currently very active concerning live performances all over the globe

So let's put them in a race where the criteria to win is to officially release a new album that people can buy (that means no illegal stuff and no singles and no remix album, it must be an artist album)! Who will win? Pick your choice and let us know! The race is on.

More information about the contestants:

S-RANGE

Last official artist album release: "Space" (Feb. 2003 (according to Discogs)).

Remix Album "Remixed Memories" released: 2010.

Some more facts: As far as I can think back, the first news about a new S-Range album sparked in 2004.

Then there was an album to be released with the title "Another Theory" in about 2005 on Liquid Records, but it leaked out somewhere and has never been released officially because of that (thats what I have heard). This release is illegal. It is listed as "Another Theory" CDr album with a release date in 2005 at Discogs.

The single "Another Theory - The Remixes", which was intended to accompany the album, was released by Liquid Records in 2006 (according to Discogs).

Another single "S-Range EP" was released by Groove Zone Records on Beatport in 2006.

ASTRAL PROJECTION

Last official artist album release: "Amen" (Oct. 2002 (according to Discogs)).

Remix Album "Ten" released: 2004.

Some more facts: The single "Joy EP" by "Astral Projection & Roy Sela" got released in 2010 by Trust in Trance Records.

Astral Projection currently have no label (as far as I know).

(Any more information about the contestants is very welcome :) )

(Side note: I do know that it might be hard for the artists too and that they don't delay albums just for fun (seriously, who would do that, it is good for nothing and nobody). With this Album Race, I just want to make the best situation out of the bad one that I am in as a fan when I can't and can't get my fix (seriously, I am (almost) dying for these two new albums and it pisses me off that they don't come ... and I feel kinda mocked when they play so many live performances with their new stuff and don't release any of it ... so I get creative)... :) )

Anybody with me?

Anybody wanna vote?

Input?

I voted for S-RANGE.

First because I'm the biggest fan :P

Second because I think this guy really has his album together sooner or later ... and he's in the position to release it (he's not without a label or anything). As much as I like Astral, I don't think they'll have it before him.

Who cares! They haven't done anything remotely decent in years!

And that is the point. Who would have thought that of such promising acts of the past that they now are clinically dead when it comes to releasing new stuff?

I wouldn't have expected that.

Go, S-Range, go! You already got 2 votes B)

In my humble opinion, there is a lot of new (and old) artists who deserves more attention than thoose projects who gave their best 10 years ago. Just to be clear here, I'm realy huge fan of both projects and their stuff, but there is a lot of exaggeration in terms of their upcoming LP's (especially in case of Astral Projection) and for that reason, I'm giving my vote to new and fresh acts who are actually producing some (goa) trance :)

• 9 years later...

EXHUMED!

... because it's still relevant :P

Shiiit, it's 9.5 years ago since I started this :blink:

Ain't that sad that these two just won't do a new one. I wanted to make a fun thread back then, but oh man, I really do have come across the thought that maybe they don't release anymore because I like them ... back then, everything that I was a fanatic of stopped releasing ... Mortiis Era 1 was another one. That's why I was starting to think that. Fortunately I have meanwhile realized that it's not that. There are tons of great other stuff out there :)
But dang, even Mortiis came back already with his old stuff :D ... it really is funny, peculiar, a bit sad, but above all _damn interesting_ that these two haven't made a new album yet.

Well, let's look at the status, shall we:

We have both contesters made progress over the last 9 years. There have been digital releases of both of them. ASTRAL made more though...

S-RANGE is remixing his stuff and plans to make "version 2.0" versions of his tracks, at least according to facebook comments. So he's NOT dead.

ASTRAL are, according to what's going on in the Astral thread, "very close" to release the new album.

The race is still on!

And you know what? I don't know anymore who will win :D ... but I can tell you, the second I stop caring about either of the two, they gonna come out with the new album :D

I bet :P

• Like 1

I'm atleast a little hopeful since they released some new goa on the Suntrip compilation. I do however understand if the inspiration/time/and untimately their age and lives are very different now compared to when their classics were composed. And I also think that the bar was set so high that they themselves ultimately have a very high expectation set. Besides all of us listeners/fans. :)

I think one aspect that is often overlooked when discussing the magmum opus of the artists of the old school Goa "pantheon". Is that for them this whole phenomenon of Goa Trance was something altogether new as well. So I mean how do you even approach recreating or surpassing something you experienced or was part of as a younger version of yourself? I imagine that for many producers of the era not only was the musical style new but also the whole psychedelic experience, and certainly in the context of the Psy/Goa parties.

And at the same time no one wants to keep repeating the same formula without expanding the horizon stylistically and on a technical level. That beeing said though, everything I've heard so far, in the form of snippets and glimts into their studio over the last couple of years, has sounded extremely good to my ears. And I just hope they release some of it soon.

There is of course some very complex times right now, certainly in the Middle East.

*edit* just noticed that it wasn't the thread about AP's upcoming album. :D Regarding the topic of this thread, it's quite easy for me since I've never heard anything from S-Range besides a track or two back on Destination Goa? So for me AP win of course. They changed the game and their influence is reverberating in pretty much all of the neo goa.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

*edit* just noticed that it wasn't the thread about AP's upcoming album. :D Regarding the topic of this thread, it's quite easy for me since I've never heard anything from S-Range besides a track or two back on Destination Goa? So for me AP win of course. They changed the game and their influence is reverberating in pretty much all of the neo goa.

Damn, haven't even clicked on my signature once? :P

In my opinion you clearly have a deficit when it comes to S-Range ... maybe won't float your boat that much as a Goatrance lover, but he's a pretty good progressive trance act, well, at least started as such ... and Test Tones is a classic, you should know that.

Anyway, it started as a fun thread ... I don't want any of my favourite artists match up against each other, I want a new album from both, that's for damn sure. But I'm just blown away that these two acts haven't released any new album yet, it's been so long since I wrote that post above...

5 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

There is of course some very complex times right now, certainly in the Middle East.

Yes indeed, damn :( 

Based on that, I would not be so sure about the tide being in Astrals favor :(

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RTP said:

Damn, haven't even clicked on my signature once? :P

In my opinion you clearly have a deficit when it comes to S-Range ... maybe won't float your boat that much as a Goatrance lover, but he's a pretty good progressive trance act, well, at least started as such ... and Test Tones is a classic, you should know that.

Anyway, it started as a fun thread ... I don't want any of my favourite artists match up against each other, I want a new album from both, that's for damn sure. But I'm just blown away that these two acts haven't released any new album yet, it's been so long since I wrote that post above...

Yes indeed, damn :( 

Based on that, I would not be so sure about the tide being in Astrals favor :(

Indeed, btw S-Range is from Sweden I noticed on discogs now. I might even have seen him live here sometime who knows. :D And yeah very difficult to compare artists with so different styles. Surely each contributed to their respective style. Did S-Range enter the scene with the S-Range alias around 2000 as it says on discogs, or was he around earlier under a different alias? Perhaps doing more classic goa or something?

Regarding your signature I can't see it I'm on mobile. Perhaps that could be fixed somehow? So we can se avatars and so on in mobile mode as well? Or is it impossible due to the size of those? Maybe not auto scaleable?

And I need to put on my glasses and read through a bit more the threads OP, I totally missunderstood it. :D At first I thought it was about the AP album which has been in limbo since forever. Then I thought the thread was about who had the best albums of these artists, but turns out it was about something else which was indeed slighly related to the AP album thread hence my initial confusion. 

1 minute ago, AstralSphinx said:

Indeed, btw S-Range is from Sweden I noticed on discogs now. I might even have seen him live here sometime who knows. :D And yeah very difficult to compare artists with so different styles. Surely each contributed to their respective style. Did S-Rante enter the scene with the S-Range alias around 2000 as it says on discogs, or was he around earlier under a different alias? Perhaps doing more classic goa or something?

yeah, Swedish origin, now living in Brazil :D ... sometimes I thought that moving somewhere warm and nice would also be my dream ... but now I don't wanna be over there, just like it's the case with my desire to go to India, not the best place to be right now :(

Nah AFAIK he never had other names before S-RANGE ... it stands for the "Esrange" (european space range) which you might know and which was also one of his first tracks ... later on there were a few more names, such as Agent 17, but he dropped that one strangely quick after I asked him about another Agent 17 act and if it was him...

PREX are S-Range and Noma by the way.