Mind Rewind

Templar

Mind Rewind

DAT Mafia Recordings, 2011

Posted Image

CD 1

1. Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Kwo-Ne She (Original Unreleased Version)

2. Deflo - Salt Lake

3. Doof - Mars Needs Women (Just 3 Words Mix)

4. Etnichaos - The Other Side Of Reality

5. Dimension 5 - Ganymede (Guitar Mix)

6. Infinite Zen - Friends From Tau-Ceti

7. Etnica - Shadow Dance

8. Slinky Nuns - Caught In The Zipper

9. Zerotonine - Two Faces

10. Blue Planet Corporation - High NRG

CD 2

1. Joti & Ofer - Untitled

2. Total Eclipse & Simon Posford - Sound Is Solid (Remix)

3. Graham & Serge - The Full Monty

4. The Muses Rapt - Mediums Of Trance

5. PsyChaos - Return Voyage (2-1)

6. Mushroomman - N.I.S.

7. Uni-Vers Concept - Phase One

8. Electric Universe - Rain (Original Unreleased Version)

9. Aural Planet - Changing My Mind

10. North Central Positronics - The Great Bear

Rewind your mind. This is the main premise of a highly interesting release from DAT Mafia Recordings. "Who are they?" - one will ask. This loosely knitted collective consists of, surprise surprise, 32 people, including the likes of Mars, Draeke, Anoebis, Colin Bennun, Gizmex and many more. They are psytrance fans who established a cooperation together through Discogs, pulling all necessary strings to bring into daylight old and forgotten tracks from very well known artists who had undoubtedly contributed to the scene. This compilation is the result of their activities. Both CDs are full of previously non-released music (with the exception of "Sound Is Solid (Remix)", "Phase One" and "The Great Bear", which were released years ago only on vinyl), which instantly teleports the listener to the times where the magical element of these vibes reached possibly the highest point when it comes to its concentration per every minute of a track. The people we are going to deal with here are indeed some of the highest order. One look at the tracklist says it all: 100% epic. One can stumble upon the likes of Simon Posford, Green Nuns, Etnica, Electric Universe, Total Eclipse or Aural Planet. Artists were are still going to be remembered for many years to come, in contrast to many other who have their proverbial five minutes, but who will fade away in time compared to the immortal giants and their timeless music. It is a materialization of tracks which circled in the memories of goa-freaks or on old digital audio tapes until this very moment.

It is not only a real treat for a collector, but also a refined portal into the past. Thanks to it the far away times seem to be happening right now. The release is sure to awake a goa-geek hidden in many of us, bringing back the still-living memories, when we held compilations like "Goa-Head" in our hands, listened to releases marked with Dragonfly Records, Flying Rhino Records and TIP Records logos, or attended our first trance parties, dominated by "weird music" and unique decorations showered with ultraviolet light. Everything laced with a hard-to-define omnipresent element, which makes it all a remarkable experience, not only taking our minds off everyday life, but also taking us off the ground. We have 20 tracks here, 20 rare tracks to be precise, deeply rooted in the realm of oldschool goa/psychedelic trance. The richness of this all-you-can-eat buffet leaves one enchanted. Many top names of the psychedelic trance scene speak for themselves. One has to admit that the compilation's creators managed in most cases to hold onto some mighty fine gems. How can someone be indifferent to the never-released-before versions of tracks by Green Nuns, Doof or Electric Universe? Their new sonic clothes fit them really well. "Rain" grasps you by the heart with its convincing atmosphere of electronic rain and goa-nostalgy, making us also regret that Blenn turned to cheesy full-on for masses in the recent years. Slinky Nuns? Yes, please! Yum. It is also worth directing your receptors at bombs delivered by Etnica, Psychaos and Oforia. "Shadow Dance" by the Italian masters easily shows who was running the goa-world years ago. The similar case is with their cooperative tune made together with Joti Sidhu called "The Other Side Of Reality", where the artists give as a drifting track with an edge, while "No Name" delivered by Joti and Ofer is a thick, metallic goa-monster packed with isra-energy. Another positive side of this release is the new version of an old hit by Dimension 5, a group I consider to be among the most essential for the goa trance genre. I whole-heartedly advise you to check out the collaboration track made by Graham Wood from The Infinity Project and Serge (Total Eclipse) called "The Full Monty". It is an immensely hypnotic, 12-minute odyssey dipped in the mystery of cosmic oblivion, crafted in a progressing and consistent way from its first moments. This is how you create deep and absorbing tracks without the loss of quality and suspense, especially with such long tracks. The sight of Total Eclipse & Simon Posford being a part of the second CD is guaranteed to make a goa-freak's heart go wild. I was taken by surprise by the Germans from Zerotonine. Until now I had their image in my head as the guys who delivered quite raw tunes along with their "Cygnus Loops" album. "Two Faces" showed me their second nature - the artists are also great at making tracks in the style of energetic goa trance. Blue Planet Corporation, another prominent old-timer of the scene, did not let me down as well. He enriched the compilation with a goa-downtempo hybrid track. "High NRG" finds its way to the chapter of goa trance history filled with tracks like "Ambient Galaxy" or "Still Dreaming (Anything Can Happen)" by Astral Projection. There is also a Polish accent here, namely a piece of dynamic goa by Radosław Kochman (currently known as Sundial Aeon). "Aural Planet - Changing My Mind" is an energetic goa trance track depicting a worldwide class. The whole thing is underlined by a rather less known, but worthy of all attention project by Simon Posford. North Central Positronics are Posford and Ben Kempton plus some guy called Factor E. The first two gave the world a well-known psychedelic anthem called "LSD". "The Great Bear" is another tune with a soul on his compilation, throwing us into a vortex of multicolored psychoactive music. Of course one cannot forget about the rest of the tracks, whose creators are maybe not that famous as Simon or Boris Blenn, but they also bring a lot of enthusiasm and colors of those years onto the plate. I shall mention Mushroomman here, who I recall from the "Karahana" movie soundtrack. Here he showed that euphoric tracks do not have to be cheesy.

What makes this two-CD set of old-but-gold tracks even more interesting is that many of the artists presented here currently either create music in an entirely different way and styles, sometimes less attractive for psychedelic fans, are not that active as they used to be, or one does not hear almost anything about them (example being Doof). I also have to mention about the important element of this compilation, which is the 12-page booklet. One can find here interesting stories about the origin and process of creation of all 20 tracks. A fine addition to the compilation's retro-value indeed. The compilation is limited to 604 printed copies - the number could not be more significant. The goal behind "Mind Rewind" is very honorable, as all profits go for the Goa-based charity Children Walking Tall.

Here is the proof that united we stand. The release of "Mind Rewind" is a great initiative I can only salute. I enjoy all historical releases and this one fits my needs perfectly. I think I will not overstate things here by saying that this release is one of the most important things in recent months, maybe even years, as far as this genre is concerned. I just hope that the compilation will be a treat not only for "old farts", but also people from the younger trance generation, because the educational qualities of both CDs are undeniable. Forget for a moment about all other reanimators of goa in new times - the essence is here. It is fruitless to search for two identical tracks here, as each is one of a kind and tells a different story, all in the spirit of the past years. This is what this music is all about - the vibe and variety. It is not a difficult task to release an album with 8-10 tracks which will sound as if they were copies from a copying machine, all with different titles. It seems to be the basis for the activities of many artists who create neo-goa sounds and who dive deep mostly into the world of sweet, melodic goa, forgetting that this music has many faces and exists in many forms, shades and flavors. The musical content of "Mind Rewind" leaves them far behind, proudly flexing its oldschool muscles and - most importantly - these are genuine muscles. Minuses? I liked some tracks more than some other, but this does not mean they are bad. The main disadvantage is that there are only two CDs - let that be a clear message for the DAT Mafia crew that we want more. :) Some time ago I read in one of the interviews that Astral Projection throughout all years of their existence created so many tracks that they could release dozens of albums and still have plenty left. Of course it is more than obvious that most of them are rejects which are destined to stay in the shadow till the end of times or are long gone, but surely a small fraction of them is worth considering. Many tracks are still waiting to best dusted off and given a new life. I challenge the DAT Mafia Recordings people and hope that "Mind Rewind " is not just a one-time thing. I also thank all of them for giving my ears and mind a large dose of oldschool vibe in its best form. One thing is for sure: not matter what I would write here - you have to listen to this.

Templar / http://www.psytrance.pl

Links:

http://02caf65.netsolhost.com/mr/mind_rewind.html

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mind-Rewind/226487347402029

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Mind-Rewind/release/3056636

Wow Templar! Reading your review was awesome.

You couldn't put in better words all the effort we took to make this, it makes me feel we spent a year working well :).

Thanks so much for writing an excellent piece!

Big Kudos!

Mushroomman - N.I.S.

Need I say more? Thick, massive, huge, groovy bassline thumping relentlessly, swarming your body with hypnotic power, whilst the melodies trance your mind out of this existence. More towards the end the trance state switches into intergalactic uplifting wonder that speeds you through beautiful places like no other. I didn't know something like this even existed. I cannot recall a single other goa track that does it like this. Astral Projection comes close, but the style is completely different.

This compilation is the best thing that happened to Goa Trance in the past years, no doubt. So many quality here, it's astounding. Really makes me wonder what other hidden gems lie around at producer's homes, unreleased. Not only the quality of these tracks is amazing though, but also the effort that was put into this. One of the better initiatives by a group of individuals I have ever witnessed, I must say.

Favourite tracks... There are so many here. The one that impressed me most is Shadow Dance by Etnica though, just ... :blink: And then the Slinky Nuns track, again with a funny name, like the one on Flying Rhino's First Flight, 'Caught in the Zipper'! Acidic Madness all over the place. The 'Sound Is Solid' Remix is another great track, and then we have the Muses Rapt with an epic epic track followed by Mushroomman, and ow man that Uni-vers Concept! Draeke, when I heard your set mentalism I was soooo hoping that you would release it someday, and you DID IT!!!!! Fan-tas-tic track!!!

To every goa fanatic out there: If you haven't bought this while it's available, you're missing out, BIG TIME.

• 1 month later...

I've listened it for the first time, the tracks are good, not to overloaded, a subtle approach which make them perfect for home listening...

I wonder if the mastering is overdone or original?

The melodies are pretty sharp and I don't EQ...

I've listened it for the first time, the tracks are good, not to overloaded, a subtle approach which make them perfect for home listening...

I wonder if the mastering is overdone or original?

The melodies are pretty sharp and I don't EQ...

You have to remember the source files were old, some better some worse. Listen to another release mastered by Colin OOOD, like VA Erta Alé or Portamento - The Portal to get the idea of mastering on modern productions. I think Colin has done a fantastic job like usual.

You have to remember the source files were old, some better some worse. Listen to another release mastered by Colin OOOD, like VA Erta Alé or Portamento - The Portal to get the idea of mastering on modern productions. I think Colin has done a fantastic job like usual.

Indeed the mastering is a bit like Erta Alé, I was just wondering ;)

Great info!

Mushroomman - N.I.S.

Need I say more? Thick, massive, huge, groovy bassline thumping relentlessly, swarming your body with hypnotic power, whilst the melodies trance your mind out of this existence. More towards the end the trance state switches into intergalactic uplifting wonder that speeds you through beautiful places like no other. I didn't know something like this even existed. I cannot recall a single other goa track that does it like this. Astral Projection comes close, but the style is completely different.

Man, you read my mind...wtf...What a track!!! Surely one of the many highlights on this comp. Never heard of the guy. EXXXPLOSIVE!!!

Great review!

I too bought this album and i agree it's really awesome. It varies much between songs and it's sometimes has quite complex layers, meaning you don't get tired of it in the first time. It disturbs you and makes you stay alert but it's not noisy. Great stuff.

One huge downside with it though is that i can't play it in my computer. I contacted the record company about it because i thought they had used DRM without saying so (i was rather upset). They said they hadn't done that but a few others had also reported problems with reading the discs. I believe them. I went to a friend and ripped the album instead. Not perfect but i got it legally and i love it :)

edit:

Mushroomman - N.I.S.

I came to think about Juno Reactor - Razorback from the album Beyond the infinite (1996). It comes close, but this song is better according to me.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYOdcq3kB44

Thanks once again to you all for all the praise and the positive reactions, many hidden gems were indeed finally released here, we are all so happy! :)

@Technosomy, ahhaha no the Godfather will always be only Raja Ram!! :)

@Sideeffect...: most of the tracks were never mastered before and we got the studio takes from the artists, a few that were released only on vinyl were remastered but most of them were treated for the very first time.

@psytimeofmylife: I am afraid so, it sold like nuts , 10 copies a day or smth like that, people realized it was going to be a special thing and indeed it was. Thing is on the market were placed only something more than 300 copies, the rest was given to artists and or contributors, I kept a few and sold all the rest but maybe some of the contributors still have a copy for sale, ask around !

Thanks again, we donated with all your help a bit over 4000 pounds to Children Walking Tall, a FANTASTIC success!

http://www.childrenwalkingtall.com/Newsletter/2011-10.htm

we have our own paragraph there now, check it out!

• 5 months later...

I must say that every single time I hear Shadow Dance I am so utterly amazed by it I can't put it to words. This must probably be one of the absolute highlights of their career as far as I'm concerned. Simply amazing track.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

CD1 is awesome! Salt Lake, Ganymede, Friends From Tau-Ceti, Shadow Dance, Caught In The Zipper & Two Faces are great. I particularly enjoy the rawness in Friends From Tau-Ceti. So many of Doof's alternative mixes have been released, which I find superfluous. Doof is great but I'm not interested in listening all those inferior mixes.

CD2 left me a bit disappointed, since CD1 is fantastic and I expected a bit more. Here I enjoyed Rain, Sound Is Solid and The Great BearThe Full Monty is too long and uninteresting, it left me bored.

So CD1 is fantastic, CD2 is just ok for me. A great effort all in all, and, let's not forget, for a great cause.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

My tops on cd 1 are :

Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Kwo-Ne-she , as i always be a GNOTR fan it couldn't be elseway than enjoying it.

Deflo - Salt Lake, a nice energic & pumping tune.

Doof - Mars Need Women (Just 3 words mix)

Actually i don't enjoy Etnica, exception here with Shadow Dance which is my favourite from the band as it doesn't have the typical "drugy" Etnica tones.

For cd 2 , i mention :

Joti & Ofer, the song have the typical trademarks of a classic Goa Oforia track, loud & dark.

Mushroomman - N.I.S , very catchy melodic tune.

Electric Universe - Rain , as usual no regret with Boris Blenn & his melodic & atmospheric touches.

North Central Positronics - The Great Bear, i didn't know this project from Posford with other dudes which sounds great like always with him.

By far easily , it's the best volume of the Mind Rewind serie, a must have for Goa lovers,  furthermore the artwork of the 2  discs is beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 2:14 PM, Manuser said:

Graham & Serge - The Full Monty
I would pay fair amount of money for a clean version of this track. It sounds very dated, reminds me when I was downloading MP3 in 128kbps. Too bad because it has the potential to be an epic track.

The track was a wild recording session, it was made in 2 different mixes but recorded directly from the mixer to dat tapes in a desk mix kind session, so there won't be any more polished version of this, it is raw and wild because it was made like that. I think Mark knows more of this story but this is how i remember it from his words. We think it's pretty epic the way it is, and very powerful.

On 10/31/2018 at 5:04 PM, draeke said:

The track was a wild recording session, it was made in 2 different mixes but recorded directly from the mixer to dat tapes in a desk mix kind session, so there won't be any more polished version of this, it is raw and wild because it was made like that. I think Mark knows more of this story but this is how i remember it from his words. We think it's pretty epic the way it is, and very powerful.

It's a great track, this type of technoish psytrance is quite rare, especially nowadays.