Who's to blame for the vocals in YB - Vaccine and Ott - Mir?

advance

I was just wondering if anyone could answer me - who is the vocalist who is to blame for many of the tracks in Younger Brother's Vaccine and in Ott's track Adrift in Hilbert Space (from Mir)?

Is it a vocalist called "Naked Nick", as stated in a review I read on these boards? Who is he? Where can I get more information about him? I have never heard a vocalist which I dislike more than this guy. It's amazing, it's like I am allergic to his voice. I'd really like to know what else he's done, so I can avoid his work.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

I have never heard any good vocals in projects originating from the psytrance scene. It's like the artists got no clue whatsoever regarding finding talented above mediocre singers.

Hari Om is great IMO.

When I first heard this guy in Younger Brother's Vaccine, I thought that this horrendous display of vocals was a single, specific occurrence, and that I'll never have to hear this guy's voice again.

And then came Ott's Mir (which is a masterpiece, in my opinion), and to my horror it included the track "Adrift in Hilbert Space" with this guy (or, *shudder*, someone who heard Vaccine and thought to himself - "Gosh darn it, that's a good vocal style - I should try and reproduce it") in the part between 01:05 to 01:55. I just can't listen to it, it reminds me of Vaccine way too much.

I really hope this guy is not "The New Michelle Adamson"..

When I first heard this guy in Younger Brother's Vaccine, I thought this horrendous display of vocals was a single, specific occurrence, and that I'll never have to hear this guy's voice again.

And then came Ott's Mir (which is a masterpiece, in my opinion), and to my horror it included the track "Adrift in Hilbert Space" with this guy (or, *shudder*, someone who heard Vaccine and thought to himself - "Gosh darn it, that's a good vocal style - I should try and reproduce it") in the part between 01:05 to 01:55. I just can't listen to it, it reminds me of Vaccine way too much.

Usually a "masterpiece" (when speaking about a whole album and not just a single song) is a album where all songs are amazing ;)

Usually a "masterpiece" (when speaking about a whole album and not just a single song) is a album where all songs are amazing ;)

Haha, damn, guess you're right. :)

I wonder, could I call the "Ott - Mir [advanced downwards mix]" album a masterpiece? It's basically the same album, cut short by 1 minute :)

By the way, Trentemoller (which is more minimal than psy but, hey) has pretty good vocalists in most of his tracks.

Haha, damn, guess you're right. :)

I wonder, could I call the "Ott - Mir [advanced downwards mix]" album a masterpiece? It's basically the same album, cut short by 1 minute :)

By the way, Trentemoller (which is more minimal than psy but, hey) has pretty good vocalists in most of his tracks.

You can call it whatever you like :)

Trentemøller was never part of the psytrance scene. And he got an ear for real talented singers :)

I was just wondering if anyone could answer me - who is the vocalist who is to blame for many of the tracks in Younger Brother's Vaccine and in Ott's track Adrift in Hilbert Space (from Mir)?

Is it a vocalist called "Naked Nick", as stated in a review I read on these boards? Who is he? Where can I get more information about him? I have never heard a vocalist which I dislike more than this guy. It's amazing, it's like I am allergic to his voice. I'd really like to know what else he's done, so I can avoid his work.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

The vocalist on Adrift in Hilbert Space is indeed Naked Nick... I'm not that familiar with the tune (heard it a couple of times and don't remember being too offended) but Nick himself is a very talented guy - singer, acoustic guitarist and - especially - chillout DJ. Also a very lovely bloke, very gentle.

The vocalist on Adrift in Hilbert Space is indeed Naked Nick... I'm not that familiar with the tune (heard it a couple of times and don't remember being too offended) but Nick himself is a very talented guy - singer, acoustic guitarist and - especially - chillout DJ. Also a very lovely bloke, very gentle.

That's nice of you but I and apparently others don't think his singing is all that ;)

Of course not. I just found it funny that Colin felt it was necessary to come to his mate's "rescue" when the debate was on his bad vocals skills and not his person ;)

Funny, I didn't get that impression at all, rather that Colin was just balancing the conversation with supplementary information.

I wonder if anyone would come to your rescue, in such a situation?

When I first heard this guy in Younger Brother's Vaccine, I thought that this horrendous display of vocals was a single, specific occurrence, and that I'll never have to hear this guy's voice again.

Well he's hardly pronouncing any words - might as well be an instrument :)

As far as the comparison with YB, I find it completely different. It might sound similar, but the role it plays in the song is different. Like I said, I hear the voice in Ott's songs more like an instrument,while YB's songs just center around Ruu's voice and the Lyrics.

For me: Ott - yes, YB - no/kinda

Yes, Younger Brother's singing is indeed a disaster. I even had to fastforward thru some tracks, then it's really bad.

But according to Colin he's a great guy ;)

You're getting confused here, try actually reading what other people write. Nick doesn't sing on Younger Brother tracks. Ruu does. I don't know Ruu, never met him, although I'm sure the people who know him think he too is a nice bloke and Posford obviously thinks he's a good singer. YB's new direction is a bit bland for me - other bands do this kind of thing much better and more interestingly IMO - although the vocals work well enough given their context (and as long as you make an effort not to associate their new material with what they used to sound like).

It's also worth remembering that the vocals on Ott's album are heavily edited and processed, and - as has been said above - are treated much more like an instrumental layer than a story-telling, intelligible vocal line. If you don't like the way Nick's voice sounds on Ott's music, what you're actually complaining about is Ott's production and writing style. Good luck with that.

• 2 weeks later...

You're getting confused here, try actually reading what other people write. Nick doesn't sing on Younger Brother tracks. Ruu does. I don't know Ruu, never met him, although I'm sure the people who know him think he too is a nice bloke and Posford obviously thinks he's a good singer. YB's new direction is a bit bland for me - other bands do this kind of thing much better and more interestingly IMO - although the vocals work well enough given their context (and as long as you make an effort not to associate their new material with what they used to sound like).

It's also worth remembering that the vocals on Ott's album are heavily edited and processed, and - as has been said above - are treated much more like an instrumental layer than a story-telling, intelligible vocal line. If you don't like the way Nick's voice sounds on Ott's music, what you're actually complaining about is Ott's production and writing style. Good luck with that.

you spoke from my mind

Ott does a lot with its vocals, most of the time they act as a main melody, i mean u hardly recognize what those vocals are saying time to time, on the other side, they are oriental based, and if one cant stand that then just LEAVE IT

ground luminosity remix from ott includes shit loads of vocals, i do agree Mir is overloaded to a point with them, but thats something i can live with if its Ott

but Vaccine? why are we disgussing this album/artist, they dont belong to this scene anymore, they are waste of space in your database

t's also worth remembering that the vocals on Ott's album are heavily edited and processed, and - as has been said above - are treated much more like an instrumental layer than a story-telling, intelligible vocal line. If you don't like the way Nick's voice sounds on Ott's music, what you're actually complaining about is Ott's production and writing style. Good luck with that.

So let me understand you correctly. The " Good luck with that" comment mean that according to you there is nothing to "complain" about and people "complaining" got it all wrong and Ott is a God in the studio?