Good setup for a beginner?

OK, the bug has bitten me, and I want to try my hand at producing... I have the interest but no real experience. For hardware, I have a couple of synths (1 digital, 1 analog) along with a multieffects unit, and a Mac Mini with 2GB RAM.

I'd like to get:

Reaper as an entry level DAW

M-Audio Oxygen 49

M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface

Some drum/synth AUs... I like old school techno, so I've been looking at programs like Microtonic and Imposcar.

Monitoring headphones (I'm a bedroom musician, and live with my parents, so studio monitors are impractical)

Does that sound like a good start?

Also, would you recommend a sampler? Why/why not? At the moment I'm using Audio Hijack and Audacity for my sample grabbing needs... my history with hardware samplers is tragicomic. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about the sampler. The stuff you have is more than enough to dive into. Also most modern daws have a sampler onboard. and that is all you need.

I would still recommend to get some good monitors. You don't have to produce with alot of volume. Actually producing with low volume is better.

Just try a few daws and see which one makes most sense to you.

good luck!

The M-Audio Oxygen 49 is a good option for its price! But do you really need the keyboard? You can also consider buying e.g. a Korg Nanokontrol! Great midi controller for a very low price. :) (I've got both of them btw)

And the M-Audio Fast Track audio interface is a good one as well, I think. (no experience with that one)

I would also recommend some good studio monitors like supergroover said. (for example the KRK RP5 or RP6)

I've got no experience with Reaper, I'm using FL Studio. I can recommend FL Studio to any producer. :) (although the onboard VST's aren't that good) (the days of the Fruity loops-taboo are over :P - I hope)

A hardware sampler is indeed a bit superfluous as every DAW has one included. :)

I own an oxygen 49 2nd gen and don't really see myself getting rid of it any time soon. The keyboard definitely important, there's no point in not having it. I write all my melodic and most rhytmic parts through it, clicking with a mouse on a piano roll is very uninspiring I find.

No monitors for you which is fair enough, so a solid pair of cans instead. If you have the cash please do spend it, don't try save pennies in this department as your monitoring gear fidelity is incredibly important; I can vouch for the accuracy of sennheiser hd600 cans, although please do some research and shop around.

Software wise you seem sorted. I am to try Reaper myself soon as I've heard a lot of good stuff about it, particularly when it comes to performance.

That M Audio soundcard should serve you nicely as well.

Your computer might hold you back, what's the spec on it?

So yeah: decent computer + decent cans + decent audio interface + midi controller + daw and virtual instruments and you're set.

Your computer might hold you back, what's the spec on it?

So yeah: decent computer + decent cans + decent audio interface + midi controller + daw and virtual instruments and you're set.

It's a 2010 Mac Mini running Snow Leopard; the processor speed is 2.4 Ghz (don't know how that stacks up) and it has 2GB of RAM. The CD drive is slightly defective (because cheaply made) and won't read CD-R media anymore, but that doesn't affect me too much since I have my DJ setup close by. Still annoying.

I hope the RAM is enough to run several programs at once on a DAW; as far as I know it's one of the Mini's biggest limitations.

It's a 2010 Mac Mini running Snow Leopard; the processor speed is 2.4 Ghz (don't know how that stacks up) and it has 2GB of RAM. The CD drive is slightly defective (because cheaply made) and won't read CD-R media anymore, but that doesn't affect me too much since I have my DJ setup close by. Still annoying.

I hope the RAM is enough to run several programs at once on a DAW; as far as I know it's one of the Mini's biggest limitations.

Just did some research and am I right if I say it's a 2.4 ghz core 2 duo processor? That should do nicely for quite a while. Memory could be a problem at some point, but to start with seems quite appropriate. I've been told Reaper is extremely good with resources. You'd definitely struggle sooner rather than later with Ableton and 2GB of RAM.

CD-R a non issue really, I very rarely use optical drives these days unless I'm burning a CD.

Just did some research and am I right if I say it's a 2.4 ghz core 2 duo processor? That should do nicely for quite a while. Memory could be a problem at some point, but to start with seems quite appropriate. I've been told Reaper is extremely good with resources. You'd definitely struggle sooner rather than later with Ableton and 2GB of RAM.

CD-R a non issue really, I very rarely use optical drives these days unless I'm burning a CD.

*checks* Yeah, you're right.

Ideally I'd have an 8GB computer but I'll need years to learn the basics, also in music theory (I haven't had a piano lesson in years) and synthesizer theory, so a pro level studio setup is a long ways off.

It is a non issue, except that I record my DJ sets direct to CDR; I have to borrow another computer to upload them. :angry: This also sucks if I'm jamming my synth on the same analog mixer and want to record some noises. Hopefully the audio interface will take care of that problem and I can start jamming into Reaper instead.

My Macbook Pro has a Core 2 Duo and 2GB memory, and I've never lacked for power.

I've never used Reaper so I don't know how good its MIDI is. You might consider other options if you're going to be making sequence-based music, although I imagine you're looking at Reaper because it's cheap. Lots of people use Cubase or Live. Live is good in it's looping but the MIDI editing isn't as good as other programs.

You shouldn't need a controller if you have a good midi connection with your computer and digital synth.

The money should be spent on a quality audio interface and the Fast Track Pro is not one of those.

Good near field monitors can be had for not too much, check a lot of reviews from music magazines.

I liked Fruity Loops Studio as an easy-to-learn DAW.

sounds like u have some idea of whats going on if u all ready if u have 2 synth?!?!?!?! anyways choose a DAW. if your on a mac id suggest logic or cubase or ablton (personal for me using a mac i use cubase although most on mac use logic). At the end of the day i think i comes down to which one u learn first and feel at home with. the other thing id like to say is that a good pair of headphones are a good option because:- more bang for your buck, dont annoy anyone else in ur house, dont have to worrie about acoustics in ur room, and many people today only hear music on there ipod or radio. however a good pair of monitors are always good to wrk with and if u have the right environment for them, then go with a nice pair.

buying one 1000 mic is better than buying ten 100 dollar mics. I thinks its the same with pre-amps, monitors, etc

^

Sorry, headphones are never an adequate substitute for good monitors and acoustics when it comes to mixing. It doesn't matter how people listen to it in the end.

price wise they are. a $500 pair of headphones are going to be better than a $500 pair of monitors especially if your monitoring in a room with bad acoustics.