Artist: New Age Hippies

Title: Flight EP

Label: Cyan Music

Date: October, 2009

1. Wake Up Call (144 BPM)

2. Metamorphosia (140 BPM)

3. Love And Peace (138 BPM)

4. Im Over You (135 BPM)

This is Marco Koeller who is responsible for the above project as well as Smooth, Tenonaki, and Smooth Genestar. His style is a nice blend of psytrance and progressive having released the very good Entrance and the decent Dive EP. Like this, both can be found free at Ektoplazm for your listening pleasure. Love the cover with the floating white circles. Reminds me of white blood cells traveling down the circulatory system. I'm a science geek, sue me.

Wake Up Call- Sometimes the best track is the simple one. The one that has a foundation of a good beat and evolves as it goes on. There is nothing spectacular about this track, but each facet of it is good. Bouncing beat, simple bass line as well as non complicated melody. It's got an attitude. Danceable good stuff.

Metamorphosia- More of the same with effects that screech by. The break sees another lead weave its way in and take control. It's like the British sound that just powers its way through a track. There is a certain dark feel to it as pads flutter and you can hear the depth. I can anyway. I've got real good hearing. Not a fan of the German language sample but I still liked the track.

Love and Peace- This one has a grungy sound to it as well as popular trance touches. Almost euphoric. The evolving and filtered pad and vocal samples has me thinking Van Dyk is behind the decks. When he drops the breakbeat I smile as it keeps things flowing. Not bad.

I'm Over You- With the slowest BPM of the EP there is a true house feel and that is cemented with the "I'm over you" sample that makes me grind my teeth. The music itself ain't bad, but I can't get past that sample.

I liked it and definitely think it's worth checking out. He seems to be good at a lot of styles and not afraid to try some. There's power, melody and groove so I can't ask for more than that. The fact that it's free is the cherry on top of the cake.

Ektoplazm

Mdk