Azax Syndrom Vs Bliss - Round 2

Lemmiwinks

Posted Image

1. AZAX VS BLISS - Fight No More

2. BLISS - Stolen Mind

3. AZAX SYNDROM - The Truth

4. AZAX VS BLISS - Tam Tam

5. BLISS - Abed 51

6. TALAMASCA VS. SKAZI - Imaginary Friends (Azax rmx)

7. AZAX VS BLISS - The Bomb

8. AZAX SYNDROM - Another Visitor

9. BLISS - Warriors

The promo text on this one says "These two world known producers are considered by many to be the best thing that happened to electronic music since the invention of the computer." BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Now I've already come across many pretentious claims in promo texts but this one definately gets my award for most pretentious ever lol

Anyway, let's get back down to Earth here and see how this sounds like.

Fight No More in case you were wondering, no, this isn't a remix of the classic from Peyote, and after all, the promo text implies that these guys are far better than Rolf Ellmer and Dag Lerner so why bother anyway? lol But seriously though, it's a pretty nice brutal entry track that sets the tone for the rest of the album: twisted and energetic night full-on, and interestingly enough these guys try to blend in some dubstep wobbly basslines in there which is pretty innove IMO. It definately makes me want to listen to what's up next :)

Stolen Mind Bliss alone this time around, the beginning is a bit dull, then some more dubstep influences making you wonder just where is a this coming to until finally the main melody kicks in around 5:30. Definately the most innovative track here :)

The Truth Azax up next with some interesting dark melodies, then some more agressive arpeggios kick in together with the used and abused sample "You can't handle the truth!" from the movie A Few Good Men, and then a part of the melody from the main theme of Mission Impossible... (guy definately has a fetish for Tom Cruise lol), then we're back to some more agressive melodies but the overall result is a bit average IMO

Tam Tam up next with an annoying sample and some more agressive melodies, I must say that both don't quite mix, the track ranges from goofiness to more serious stuff, not quite my cup of tea.

Abed 51 starts with some pretty soothing arpeggios for the 1st minute but then we're back into twilight territory with an agressive bassline melody and guitar samples, then the climax around 5:00 brings in an oriental melody and some more brutal acid sounds up next, GREAT track :)

Imaginary Friends takes a while to start but then the main melody from the original (which I didn't like BTW) kicks in, then some more random bits until the track finally unleashes all its power around 6:50... and then another crappy melody kicks in around 7:20 ARGGHHHH!!! This one had the potential to be a real stormer but they just didn't keep their act together long enough :(

The Bomb starts up pretty random, then a breakdown where you wonder what's gonna happen, then a sample "LSD is the bomb" which I'm sure will make many people smile ;) Again, some interesting moments but overall result is pretty average.

Another Visitor gives us some 8bit oldschool gaming melodies that really fit perfectly with the front cover ;) Then some more familiar melodies come in, nice but not great.

Bliss closes the album with Warriors with what seems in the beginning to be a calmer track, but it picks up to the same levels as the other ones here, I was tempted to press the stop button but kept on listening to it and I'm glad I did cause the last melody kicking in around 7:30 is really great!

Conclusion: Pretty good agressive night full-on album which brings the added bonus of putting some dubstep elements in there. However, the innovation stops there and all the tracks here follow the same formula, have similar melodies and almost the same synth presets too. So, listening to one or 2 tracks is great, but when ALL the album sounds the same it is less great... faves: 1, 2(!!), 5(!), 9

3,5 /5