nighttime full-on: what happened?

Walkabout

OK, something has long irked me about the music played at the peak of the night at psy parties, and I finally figured out what it is. There are no pitched sounds! For the past several years, it's been like this at night: almost always, tracks will have the same fast bass rhythm, and then some atonal riff played over it. There's nothing like a melody or harmony, and as a result, the tracks are almost identical to each other. I really don't get why this makes people scream on the dance floor... I thought nighttime was when the most stimulating psychedelic music should be played, and this is really, really conservative music.

When it's actually musical full-on can be good (Voice of Cod), but too many artists are just replacing the busy melodic section of goa trance with a busy bassline. The arrangements are really lacking too... too many start-stops and rhythmic gimmicks, not enough flow from one part to another. It's all icing and no cake.

And WTF is it with the remixes? They all seem to take a good track, strip out the subtlety and soul, and replace it with simpler, fatter, cleaner sound in the name of being 'modern'. Again, I don't see the point. Music made in the 1990s already sounds 'modern', and still sounds great over a rig. Has anyone ever not danced to a good track because the bass doesn't dominate the mix, or because it wasn't compressed within an inch of its life? I was enjoying my raw sugar cane and they refined it, colored it, and sold it back to me as pixie stix.

This rant prompted by last night's party and a terrible, terrible remix of "Guardian Angel".

I'd like to find constructive solutions to this, but I think the current paradigm of electric, atonal noises has to implode first. People have to stop adoring artists and DJs who fall back on this stock sound, and recognize that it's not psychedelic nor trance inducing. The best you can say is that it's rhythmic, but other genres are rhythmic too and use a wider palette of different sounds.

OK I'm going to sleep now, we'll see if any of this makes sense in the next day.

PS: Prana's "Cyclone" doesn't get enough love. Long flowing melodies, polyrhythms, organic ambience and real depth. More psytrance should have gone in that direction.

There's nothing like a melody or harmony, and as a result, the tracks are almost identical to each other.

If melody and harmony are the only elements of music you're able to recognise then yes, you would think that. But obviously the people who enjoy the kind of music you write about enjoy it for reasons other than its non-existent melodies.

MO: you should study line-ups more carefully (in a sober state, I mean) before you open you wallet and trash your hard-earning euros.

Right now, a 60 km radius from my house two full-onish parties are going on. One is pure crap, you can infer from the names, all wannabe DJs and

their associates playing exactly what you heard yesterday night. The other is a little darker, so I guess with some quality.

But I think good melodies are getting harder to find in psychedelic trance, no matter what subgenre.

If melody and harmony are the only elements of music you're able to recognise then yes, you would think that. But obviously the people who enjoy the kind of music you write about enjoy it for reasons other than its non-existent melodies.

Hey, I like noises too. :P By 'anything like a melody/harmony' I mean tonal variation. It doesn't have to be melody or harmony in the conventional sense but can be timbres/textures, like darkpsy. But in darkpsy the artists tend to have their own style and play around with the sounds they use, whereas peak time full-on has been using the same buzzy electric sound for years. I can tell the difference between for example a Savage Scream and an Ocelot track, but I couldn't tell you the artists behind two night full-on tracks because they're all made to a certain standard.

AFAIK people enjoy it because it's fast and energetic. And that's fine. I like fast stompy dance music. But if you don't have something to go with the energy, then it is sugar icing without cake.

I tend to avoid parties with music I know is not my taste. Much easier :)

The party wasn't all bad. I was really grooving on the music played in the first few hours, which was dark, kinda tribalish progressive.

he party wasn't all bad. I was really grooving on the music played in the first few hours, which was dark, kinda tribalish progressive.

But did they not have a flyer telling you who was going to play? Normally when I go to a party I make sure I know what the Djs play to avoid feeling I wasted my money.

I have totally had this experience at some parties recently... some artists and DJs are completely allergic to anything resembling a hook and yes, all the songs quickly blur together into an unrecognizable mish-mash of beats and breakdowns. This tendency to focus on one specific sound with the "perfect" kick drum and bass line setup is really missing the point... but at least it's a little better than five years ago when DJs were obsessed with unreleased music, no matter how awful it sounded. I'm hoping this emphasis on monotone night music is just a fad. Luckily it's not something I hear everywhere nor does it usually persist for more than a set or two.

i agree, this "night" full on gets boring fast, it's all energy no flow. in that sense it's the polar opposite of the modern prog psy, which is also not good for a dance floor.

Guest nectarios

I liked that song except for the bass line. Of course this is a full-on topic so it's understandable, I just feel it could have been a better song without a full-on bass line.

16th basslines are a love/hate thing. I love them still. Its not the bassline that makes a tune "full-on", its the rest of the music. Tristan for example uses 16th basslines for the most part, his music is nothing like Kindzadza's for example.

Full on to me is the cheese brigade, the circus leads, odd breaks, glitchy mayhem....all the things that make the music cheesy, chewed up and ready to digest, the non hypnotic stuff...but that is me talking according to my taste.

Here's another track that we've played during the night and went down a treat, no 16ths this time.

And here is another 16th bassline tune that has destroyed the dancefloor during the night.

!

Peace out.

How is that rare? 99% of the psytrance tracks on my harddrive sound exactly like that.

Which is a good thing. I meant that it is rarely played at parties around my location, not that the music itself is uncommon.

Any recommendations apart from the Wildthings acts?

16th basslines are a love/hate thing. I love them still. Its not the bassline that makes a tune "full-on", its the rest of the music.

It's not just the 16ths, it's the dominance and repetitiveness of the bassline.