1. Momenta

2. Across the universe

3. I'll be there

4. Between life and death

5. Memories Maze

6. Erosion

7. Rainbow Streams

8. Magic Species

Pretty on-and-off chill-out album here... Some tracks are simply generic boring material, but others are REALLY good.

Momenta is a pretty uninspired and dull inro track... NEXT!

Across The Universe aaah now that's more like it, the pace is picking up a bit and there are much more interesting ideas explored, I like this one but somehow it's just not quite there yet.

I'll Be There is the real gem here IMO, it lasts a whopping 14:33 min and once it's over it actually feels too SHORT! This is of the "dynamic" chill-out variety: soothing yet the rythm is fast-paced enough to keep you focused and not just let your mind drift away.

Between Life And Death picks up where the last track left us, it really feels like both tracks make a total, except this time around there a more darker tribal beat, giving it a very shamastic feeling, yet on the dark side of things, I like this one a lot as well :)

Memories Maze goes back into fluff territory IMO, although it is an enjoyable listen, it is a bit of a let-down after the 2 previous tracks.

Erosion is actually a real uptempo morning track, some nice atmoshperes although nothing really involving, the kind of track you'd listen to while driving home from a party...

Rainbow Streams is also an uptempo track, with a bit of a tribal feeling, it kindof reminded me Etnoscope in parts but again, it didn't really stand out of the crowd, in the end it is quite forgettable IMO.

Magic Species brings us back to downtempo territory and is the 3rd best track here IMO, with a really nice oriental flute melody driving the first half of the track, although the second half kindof drowns out a bit in the end.

Conclusion: A nice listen, and some definate stand-outs but pretty inconsistent album. Faves: 3(!!), 4(!!), 8.

3,5 /5

Wow, excellent review. I agree with everything you said. It was a blind buy because I ordered some other stuff. I didn't regret it, because I would've been glad to spend the money only for "I'll be there". From the beginning to the end, it really is a masterpiece. At around 3:00, when the male voice says "here.....now", it always sends shivers down my spine, it really is pure musical magic and bliss. It's the kind of music you can experience nature to and feel like having an epiphany for the blink of an eye.

Massive props to CJ Catalizer & Zymosis for the stellar original song, though.

Check out this fan video (switch to HD resolution and turn up the volume of your headphones :)) for the original song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5MjP6UqVK4

Awesome.

• 2 years later...

2idnoIl.jpg

Artist: Astral Waves

Title: Magique

Label: Altar Records

Date: July, 2011

1. Momenta
2. Across the universe
3. I'll be there
4. Between life and death
5. Memories Maze
6. Erosion
7. Rainbow Streams
8. Magic Species

"You'll be amazed at what you could do."

Dj Zen (Gabriel Descoutieras) has really become a fixture in this convoluted scene of ours. Head of Altar Records he has been putting out quality chill and downtempo music for years. This Frenchman who now lives in Quebec is also a painter and a 3D graphic designer. Lots of hats.

As the project Astral Waves his debut album Mystique was good, but not great to my ears. Clearly he has become more accomplished with age. Or is it the fact that this is a remix album of the work of other artists? Whichever, this album has more layers, more feeling, more...life. It speaks of a power larger than ourselves with massive pads and lush imagery.

The track I'll Be There is certainly epic, but unlike the previous two reviewers I felt it went on a little too long. Between Life and Death had moments where it sounded like the track was actually breathing, but again when the ambient trance kicked in it went on too long. Perhaps the most disappointing remix was for Memories Maze. It was just boring. Erosion picks up the pace to an almost uplifting level and is a nice listen where he seems to chop everything up. Very trancey, but it'll make you feel good. Rainbow Streams keeps the pace, but it's much more relaxed progressive trance. He closes with a dub track full of very busy tribal sounds. The break beat really caught my attention.

A definite improvement over his debut and for lovers of detailed mid tempo electronica you really cannot go wrong.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Mdk