Synthetic Forest – Min Egen Lilla Vaerld EP

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Synthetic Forest

Title: Min Egen Lilla Vaerld EP(Oh yeah, you got that right!)

Label: Sacred Evil Records

Date: January, 2011

1. Ogcocephalioidei (138 BPM)

2. Trollish (138 BPM)

3. Min Egen Lilla Värld (138 BPM)

The first thing that drew me to this was the unbelievably good looking cover. Dark, foresty, scary...The second was my burgeoning interest in the forest genre. I suppose it doesn't get any more forest than an artist named Synthetic Forest. This is a 3 track EP that combines the forest style with tech-trance. Right off the bat you can see the BPMs are lower and there are a lot of stops and starts as well. I've crucified artists for that sh*t but here it adds to the...eerieness.

Ogcocephalioidei- "The difference between the LSD experience and the DMT experience..."

The first track has enough vowels to give Vanna White a heart attack. I can't even pronounce it, but what I can tell you is that bass can't get too much lower. It's super spooky and laden with effects. Hell, there's even a chick's high-pitched sneeze. It's dark without being threatening but it really feels organic. Like tendrils curling around your arms.

Trollish- Guess what, the bass got lower. It's more frenetic, but has a super descriptive breaks. Alien sounds roll out of the forest in waves as larger winged creatures fly above the canopy. I thought I heard Treebeard, but who the f*ck knows. Sometimes it was a little too chaotic, but that is a minor quip.

Min Egen Lilla Värld- The formula seems to be deep rolling bass line with high toned effects clanking above. Add more effects. I didn't feel connected to this one as more often than not it resembled noise.

A little on the minimal side at times but I like what he tried to create. Forest trance can be really complex and tough to follow sometimes, so thank you for the moderate track lengths. It was dark and delicious to experience. Visceral and alive. I would recommend a little more variety in tempo because it would keep the mind focused. But this is a small EP so you get a pass. It will be interesting to see how this artist's music evolves. I tell ya, I'm starting to like this type of trance.

Ektoplazm

Mdk

Haven't heard the release but just wanted to add that it's nice to see a little stream of Swedish finding its way into this producer's creative world. (The producer is from Germany, isn't he?) For those of you that aren't familiar with the Scandinavian languages, the title means My Own Little World EP. :) I'm going to hit up that website and see what this guy has been cooking. Thanks for the review, Trance2MoveU, you're very prolific, it's fun to read your reviews even if i don't always arrive at the same conclusion as you. Keep up the good work.

Is this Alex? Thank you for the compliments! I really enjoyed your album as the review indicated. My reviews are just one man's opinion and it's good that other people have differing conclusions. It helps me to see things that I might have missed when I go back and listen to the music. Above all I just try to make reading these things a little more entertaining. Also if it brings new people to the scene, all the better.

Mdk