Artist: Messy Mass & Baba Gnohm

Title: Night of the Living Kebab

Label: None

Date: March, 2011

01 - Yes, I Like Shawarma (118 BPM)

02 - Cream Fresh (126 BPM)

03 - Dear Dr. Döner (123 BPM)

04 - Splatterbrain (127 BPM)

05 - Night Of The Living Kebab (115 BPM)

Posted Image

In Part 3 of get your f*cking hands out of my pocket comes a collaboration between Messy Mass (you mean like what I just cleared out of my son's diaper?)and Baba Gnohm. They are two Danes and while I'm not familiar with Messy, I have heard awesome tunes from Baba when he paired with Luage on the Monolith EP. This is another EP that brings together a lot of styles and quirky samples. What? Don't mind those douchebags up there, I just told congress to jump in a hole. I suppose it could also be a metaphor for not being a lemur and following the crowd to really bad releases. Which this EP does, but you don't come here for philosophizing, you come for the info. But you stay for the humor.

Yes, I Like Shawarma- "You hungry? Yeah, I'm starving. You like shawarmas? Yes, I like shawarmas."

You've got some deep bass and wobbly synths here. After the seemingly out of nowhere sample (which is cool as hell, btw) the tempo takes a hard right into groovetown. Population: you. The track is a tale of two halves with the 2nd one being more funky.

Cream Fresh- "I've seen you around...but I had no idea you were a queer."

Posted Image

We're all on the same page here, right? I mean, has there ever been a more homoerotic cartoon than He-Man? This is another quirky tango of bass and break beat. The sample is the gayest thing I have ever heard and just as left of center as the rhythm. Funky, yes. Like the guys working the carny rides. You know they're human, but you can't help but feel they're a chromosome shy of a set.

Posted Image

Yeah, Ill uh...I'll make my own funnel cake....

Dear Dr. Döner- Yes Dr. may I have another. I feel like these guys should have back up dancers. Funky times 10. And some forest scratchiness as well? Talk about going out of your comfort zone.

Splatterbrain- These guys are really working the break beat. Plenty of synths whirling around too. Right in the middle of the track they switch bass sounds and veer off into a different direction. Very Suomi with funk riding shotgun.

Night of the Living Kebab- NOTLK? With a little maneuvering...

Posted Image

I knew it! It all makes sense now. And by that I mean no sense.

The style is similar to the other tracks, but here they float an eerie melody to make you think the Kebab zombies are on the move.

I felt this was pretty funky. Not as deep or involved as Mr. Bill, but not bad at all. Sometimes it seemed like they were just throwing some electronica at you instead of having a certain direction. The break beats were cool and there are plenty of synths to keep you occupied. While not PS3 quality, it definitely is nod your head music with a super NES retro feel. Liked it.

Ektoplazm

Mdk