First exposure to electronic dance music

Walkabout

What was the first EDM that you can remember hearing that made an impression on you? I'm curious what psy fans started off with.

For me, it was hearing this when I was eleven:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa-YTlgPtKY

And later, things like this:

Clearly techno/house/trance inspired but I had no clue! It was just good music to me, although my gamer buddy tried to argue that "music made on a computer isn't really music". :P

A couple of years later, I read in a magazine that this style of music was called Rave, or Techno (terminology was fuzzy then too!). I picked out a couple of 'best of rave' albums for Christmas 1993; utter cheeseball crap, but I was already hooked by then on the music I had heard in games. Eventually I branched out from game music and started to listen to UK techno artists like FSOL, Orbital and Aphex Twin, and that led me to EDM in all of its forms... If I hadn't picked up a controller back then, though, who knows what might have happened?

hard to say what it was with me as music over the decades seems to morph...i could say kraftwerk as they blew my mind, yet i'm sure electronica has been in many things before...i always loved the sound of moog and korg from the prog metal days(Curved Air and Yes o and probably space rock too...as in hawkwind) , and late 60s early 70s concept albums.....(White noise and Alan Parsons project.....) each and every thing i have listened to has been an influence toward something else...tho how i got from heavy metal to Rap&Hiphop to psy trance& techno to dub and dubstep..i have no idea! lol

Ok, here comes the cheese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcDliCjtOaM

This track got me hooked when I was a 10 YEAR OLD KID, I was a huge Euro-Dance head back then, kept on playing it for years and years, till my dad threw away the cd. Still find it unique sounding even now, but it's a bit too wimpy next to my current Darkpsy/Dark DnB collection. I'm actually glad it doesn't have 10000000 views on youtube for fuck sake.

Aphex Twin and Clint Mansell etc from the soundtrack of Pi. Saw that when I was like, 11-12 years old. Then it was mostly The Prodigy, EZ Rollers, some Juno Reactor and Art Of Trance, then mostly nitzhonot and then goa (Astral Projection , MFG , California Sunshine) , some GMS etc...

Definitely my brothers recorded cassettes of radio shows where they played those cheesy but awesome 90s dance tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEgbW1FxR78

There was also this other one but dammit I can't remember what it's name was at all.

Then there were video games with electronic music like command and conquer that I really liked.

Here for example, some good use of acid in Tibsun OST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T6jFQelVeg

..but then there was tribes 2 that I really loved. Sound that came out of nowhere for me, though I still didn't know about this style any further.

Then Orbitals Technologicque Park on the movie xXx made me ask around and Mona Lisa Overdrive from matrix reloaded sealed the deal(Years later). Though that's going a bit offtopic.

So, all in all, I never actually heard proper goatrance before Mona Lisa Overdrive lol. Bad luck, maybe.

tbh i was thrown into the scene as it is ....kidnapped, taken to London...abandoned at Bagleys Warehouse for the entire night.....Return To The Source was the night in question...

What first made an impression on me was probably the Chemical Brothers in the mid 90's, but I never really got into listening to them, and never had an album.

The first electronic music I think I actually listened to regularly was perhaps Moby's "Everything is Wrong".

My first real start (after which I didn't stop listening to electronic music) must have been Paul Van Dyk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6dXUKbKyG8

this was my first introduction to this sort of music.....I was a heavy metal princess until i heard this.

I couldnt settle until i could decide what changed me to who i am from who i was........I was very fortunate to meet Tsuyoshi ...:)

Guest Euforix

I'm so new generation in comparison to you. =D

My first EDM experience was in 1999 when I saw "Darude - Sandstorm" music video from TV. God those were the times!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6dXUKbKyG8

this was my first introduction to this sort of music.....I was a heavy metal princess until i heard this.

I couldnt settle until i could decide what changed me to who i am from who i was........I was very fortunate to meet Tsuyoshi ...:)

That mix was pretty good! I've never heard of him before. A little repetitive at times but so was a lot of good old goa.

White Zombie ...niiice ...:))

Yeah! I must have played that album about a million times between the ages of 14-18. I can still pretty much play the whole thing in my head without putting it on.

Was one of my introductory albums to heavy sampling and musical intensity. I remember when I got my first CD player I got that album and another with it. Anyway....Posted Image

Yeah! I must have played that album about a million times between the ages of 14-18.

Hell yeah! That and La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1! I was so disappointed when their second album wasn't titled La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 2.

I still thought of Astro Creep 2000 as metal and not (particularly) electronic because I'd been listening to La Sexorcisto for a couple years before it came out, so White Zombie was firmly entrenched in my mind as a metal group.

Hell yeah! That and La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1! I was so disappointed when their second album wasn't titled La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 2.

I still thought of Astro Creep 2000 as metal and not (particularly) electronic because I'd been listening to La Sexorcisto for a couple years before it came out, so White Zombie was firmly entrenched in my mind as a metal group.

I never heard La Sexorcisto. I really should!

I'd not really classify Astro Creep as distinctly electronic either, much more metal with some electronic music touches and distortions/manipulations. I was happily surprised to find it listed on Discogs last night as part-electronic in it's genre placement. Such great character and story-telling in that album!

I'm glad you liked them too, there can never be too many White Zombie fans of old! =)