PressPausePlay

Sideffect...

I watched tis doc about a week ago, and I find it very interesting.

I would dare to say that anyone who's interested in music will find this documentary interesting...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=MterbpYTyjM&feature=player_embedded

http://www.presspauseplay.com/

Posted Image

Posted Image

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL-rchMJf-0

It's a combination of perspectives by artist like Moby about the influence of internet on the music production (and some marketing).

The capitalism that's fading away because everybody with an internet connection, software and some talent can make music these days...

The pro's and con's combined!

If someone can't find the doc to watch on the internet, , there is some on youtube, but it's random so just PM!

I have it In HD with Swedish sub's that you can easily turn of with VLC mediaplayer...

I would love to debate this matter on this forum...

Some of the comments in the trailer you posted first sounded really naive. Hopefully the whole movie is better.

This subject comes up a lot on another forum I frequent, I think in part because a lot of the other members there are older and have been in the music industry for 20-30-40 years in one way or another, and have seen a lot of things change in that time. One of the most common things that is said when this subject arises is that while it's great that so many people have access to the technology to create, record and make available music, the downside is that it has decreased the "signal to noise ratio". Meaning that the people who make mediocre or bad music are heard by a lot more people because of the internet, and on top of that more people try their hand in making music because some of the tools available make it so easy. But then they produce crap.

Another aspect is that while a good songwriter might have a greater opportunity to be heard and appreciated, because of the huge number of people on the internet in general, actually getting anyone on the internet to not only listen but stay interested for more than 10 seconds is much harder. How many true stars did Myspace Music enable? How many did YouTube enable?

Or to look more toward the future: how much music have you come across that is not connected to the 'old' model of the music business (profit-focused labels) will really last in your listening collection? I'm talking about multiple kinds of sources here, like "love-based, for-profit labels" (Suntrip), "free labels" (Neogoa), professional-sounding & self-released (for charge or free), amateur-sounding & self-released (free download), etc. Consider all the new music you hear, and what's the ratio of keepers/tossers?

Personally I like that the tools are cheaply available and the distribution is easy with today's technology, otherwise I'd still be writing shitty songs on my guitar and playing them for annoyed friends. But I also recognize that it's easy for me to not just casually jam, but concretely produce shitty music, and I can instantly recall that shitty music just as easily as I can the good music. And shitty or good, I can make it all available to billions of people online, and all I have is my own judgment about my own music as the last buffer between me and the criticism of the masses. In the "old model" of the music business, there were many people between the artist and the consumer who could potentially put a halt on a final release of the music.

So like you said, there are pros and cons. I think that it will take still another 20-30 years for the music industry to go through (even more) changes and finally settle on some new 'norm', most likely something much more decentralized, hopefully something that can accommodate both for-profit and for-free music to a more or less equal degree. And also hopefully we can leave behind the label-created, manufactured stars chosen for their looks. But it's not for me to figure out, that's all way beyond me. My trains of thought lie elsewhere.

Great Respond!

But euhm I was hoping that the first topic is just objective info about the doc (that was my intention)...

I'm still waiting to take a point of view, when I have the time to watch it twice...

Your's is interesting...

Well honestly the videos you posted didn't say much about the movie the guys made.

I''m talking about the documentary PressPausePlay, maybe there is a misunderstanding (what can happen Posted Image)

because the official trailer is correct, but it's still a trailer...

The do talk about a movie, and that I also don't get. They did not make a movie. It's a documentary of 57min...

It's best to watch the entire doc off course before making any statements...

Did you watch it?

I''m talking about the documentary PressPausePlay, maybe there is a misunderstanding (what can happen Posted Image)

The do talk about a movie, and that I also don't get. They did not make a movie. It's a documentary of 57min...

I'm pretty sure the movie they talk about is their documentary. Documentaries are considered movies. I haven't watched it yet.

Maybe a stupid question but where is the link to the documentary? All I see is a trailer on their site. Or does one have to pay for it? Now that would make their Documentary topic fall to the floor.

You can download it easily if you use torrents.

And indeed paying for it would make the topic fall to the floor...

The trailer does not really convince me. I miss a type of "groundbreaking" element. The fact that everybody with a home computer could make music is old news to me. And the discussion whether this new kind of democratization of the music scene is a good or bad thing is also hovering around since quite some time as far as I know. and we already have come to the conclusion that it has good and bad sides - Veracohr summed it up quite well.

I won't wanna watch a whole documentary just to be left with a summarized impression that I already had before.

So, to the ones who watched it: are there any more interesting points presented in it too?

I'd for example really be interested what comes AFTER the period of "democratization" of music? What will we see afterwards? Because we are already way in this phase as I see it and it is now time to set the perspectives for the things to come. Chances are high people will want certain "authorities" (not to be meant in a bad way here) that guide them towards what might be good or bad and that go beyond mere comments about a release. And that's exactly a spot where Psynews could come into play :rolleyes:

Or did I now completely miss the point with my last comment? :P

The trailer does not really convince me. I miss a type of "groundbreaking" element. The fact that everybody with a home computer could make music is old news to me. And the discussion whether this new kind of democratization of the music scene is a good or bad thing is also hovering around since quite some time as far as I know. and we already have come to the conclusion that it has good and bad sides - Veracohr summed it up quite well.

I won't wanna watch a whole documentary just to be left with a summarized impression that I already had before.

So, to the ones who watched it: are there any more interesting points presented in it too?

No to be honest, that's it!