Artist: Vertex

Title: Archipelago EP

Label: TesseracT Studio

Date: June, 2010

1. Oceanos

2. Archipelago

3. Hungary Dance

4. Oceansphere

I like the ocean. Surf, sand, cool breezes...and the bikinis. Man is there anything better than a place where it is expected that women wear minute amounts of clothing. Candy shop...open! But Nikola Kozic and Slobodan Gaćeša really like the ocean. Their debut album aptly titled Ocean was a stellar bit of progressive trance and here they jump right back into the big blue with an EP from super label TesseracT that brings up images of turtles, pristine beaches, and of course:

Posted Image

I gots one just like it but in blue...

Oceanos- That's not even a word. Reminds me of how we Americans put an "o" at the end of a word and that is the default for Spanish. What have we got here? Deep, rumbling bass and a nice afternoon percussive beat. The lead makes me wish I had a Corona in my hand as the wind blows towards the shore. There's not a lot here, but what they do provide is groovy and relaxing.

Archipelago- Hear that ocean? Music, sweet relaxing music. And this is what you might expect it to be. Deep bass, wailing leads with some chopped up synths. It does evoke a beautiful beach scene that I am more than happy to enjoy. Sunshine through and through.

Hungary Dance- I'm guessing that this has a Hungarian folk melody in it, but these guys integrate it into the track without any semblance of cheese. More of that big beat goodness and bass that brings it's groove shoes. I don't know what this has to do with the ocean, but f*ck it we're not oceanographers here. There is the sound of the ocean at the end of the track so I guess it still works. Smooth, like when I catch that perfect wave.

Posted Image

Ummm...you're doing it wrong.

Oceansphere- Starts off one way, but then switches up so fast you don't have time to tie that string bikini you just got. You really have lost weight and look fabulous. You should call me...we could hang out. I mean, I don't want to take you home or nothing, just wanted to you know...hook up. And that's how I felt about this track.

A nice little EP that has an ocean theme. The beats are good and the melodies are light for that perfect afternoon. Nothing groundbreaking but a nice enjoyable day at the beach.

Beatport

Mdk