Artist: Hypnoxock

Title: Acid Return Remixes EP

Label: None

Date: Pretty damn recently

1. Traffic (Xock Acid Remix) 2004 06:58

2. Time Out (Chapapote Remix) 2011 08:00

3. Future Xock (Cosmic Remix 2011) 08:26

4. Hypnoxock feat. Green Beats - And There Was Calm! - 2011 02:18

There are a lot of opinions about social media but you cannot argue that it has connected the world like never before. Conversations between people separated by thousands of miles happen instantaneously. Sure, people share too much...like I don't think I need to know what your dog just threw up or what you are doing this very second. But I am thankful that due to sites like Facebook I can find out about stuff like this. I like these guys music so I friended them and now I'm privy to what they are cooking up. Hypnoxock are Victor Solsona and Pedro Quijada and are bringing psytrance back to where it needs to be. Their debut album Synthetic Resurrection in 2009 was outstanding and I recently reviewed their Tales of the Mind EP right here. They do intense, melodic psytrance as well as some groovy as sh*t progressive. This is a free digital release on bandcamp that I urge you to check out. Good music. For FREE. Where is the confusion?

Traffic (Xock Acid Remix) 2004- The project started 9 nine years ago? Right out of the gate they drop a heavy beat and a growling synth threatening to erupt. Like that Icelandic volcano a few months back. What was it's name? adkdfwel&slfksafhasjelei? You try and spell it. Computer effects crackle and oscillate amidst some 303 chicanery. Goa vacation gentlemen? Because this has all the hallmarks of some dark goa flavor. It's funky, it evolves and breathes a healthy exhale of fire. Blistering.

Time Out (Chapapote Remix) 2011- Cyber undulation and stuttering samples are just the beginning as it gains power and momentum all while easily fitting in with some of the latest neogoa releases. Here they go with that 303 again, bubbling up like black gold. Texas Tea. The break is a place for a new lead to spring forth as effects set the table. Layers sprout up as that 303 forces it's way to the front of the line giving this track a strong backbone. Yessir, these guys are on to something.

Future Xock (Cosmic Remix 2011)- To remix a track that was already bad ass takes some chutzpah. Put another feather in yo cap like a Pimp named Slickback cause this is some outer space sh*t right here. Cosmic leads twist around the windpipe with a goa stranglehold. Love the break with it's forlorn oboe sound. Short, but effective making me feel like I'm high in space looking down at the Earth. Is it better than the original? I dunno, but I do know that I liked it.

And Then There Was Calm- What the? They do downtempo also? Lord help me, this is a delicious little slice of tribal drums and eerie atmosphere. The bass bubbles as solar winds pass overhead. Why so f*cking short? This had serious potential and I do hope the next EP is a pure downtempo effort.

There you have it. 4 tracks that show you how psytrance should be. I do want to say that when I downloaded it, there was an extra track that wasn't listed on the page so I didn't include it in the review. It's intelligent full-on that is layered and deep with a groovy 357 in its coat pocket. These guys continue to impress and it has me heading over to Beatport to check out their latest release, Logic Evolution. Cheers for the free EP gentlemen.

FREE DOWNLOAD. Thatta boy...come and get it!

Mdk

It's not often I say I thoroughly enjoyed something so much in a full-on release but here we have a nice exception. First two tracks are a bit predictable but the 3rd is masterful full-on. It does everything right like all full-on should. Atmosphere, sounds, production, melodies all great and it comes with a small goa twist. A bit like Electric Universe's Cosmic Experience album. Like or dislike full-on, this track should do the trick for any psytrance lover. I recommend downloading this EP just for it alone. The outro was very interesting too, but far, far too short. I'd like to hear a full track like this - scratch that, a full album like this.

Thanks for reviewing this T2MU, I would have never heard the fabulous 3rd track otherwise.