Tripswitch - Strange Parallels

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Tripswitch

Title: Strange Parallels

Label: Section Records

Date: January, 2011

So....I don't know how you feel about a remix album. Sometimes they can be great if the mixes showcase different styles and expand on a track's central idea. I think we all know a particular album where the wheels came off and may go down in history as the worst remix album of all time. I won't mention any names, but they are called A. Projection. Nah, too obvious...how about Astral P?

At least that album had different tracks on it. What you get here is 9 remixes of one track and thankfully the actual track in its original form. The pitfall of course would be if all the remixes sound similar. I know very few tracks that I would like to hear nine times in a row, I don't care how great it is. The only quibble I would have with the setup is that the original is at the end. I would've preferred it in the beginning so I could compare more readily. Minor, really. This is available from Beatport and you should really check their new layout. It's quite keen and even labels the tracks by what genre it is. They even do a little review on the side to let you know what you're gonna get. If they start getting funny, I might have to find another hobby.

Nick Brennan's put out some great music including his first album Circuit Breaker in 2005 and Geometry last year(the album Strange Parallels originates from reviewed here). So you've got some house, trance, dubstep...this could get interesting.

Strange Parallels (Purple vs Tim Healey Re-Rub)- Re-rub? Sounds dirty. Count me in. These house producers have made a saucy little track that takes some of the good from the original and puts it on...wait for it...house arrest.

Posted Image

God, that was bad. The joke, not the track. The track is good with it's squirmy bass and groovy quality. There are uplifting, smiley emoticon touches and it's a nice way to get started.

Strange Parallels (Shiloh Remix)- Another progressive house jaunt, this one takes the guitar part of the original as the base and builds around that. Love it. Afternoon sunshine and friendship bring melodies that bounce above the percussive knocking. The break is a warm sensation of cloud surfing with a moderate breeze. A new melody takes you home whether you want to go or not. Well done Shiloh. Whoever you are.

Strange Parallels (Aurtas Remix)- This was Section Records first signing a young Japanese producer whose interpretation is smooth like a baby's bottom. Electric bass with emotional strings that also uses the guitar bit from the original. The bass in combination with that guitar packs a great punch and is a good afternoon ride. Nice job.

Strange Parallels (Codemonkey Remix)- "Have you ever seen a star supernova? I have. I saw a star explode and send out the building blocks of the universe."

This is apparently Nick delivering a dubstep remix. That's great because I don't even know what dubstep means. It's got deep wraparound bass like a dub tune, but I don't know where the step comes in. It's a drifting piece and it takes you away on cosmic winds. Slow and steady with beautiful moving images. Great job. Now I'm gonna have to start listening to more dubstep. Motherf*cker.

Strange Parallels (Koan Remix)- Russian act Koan brings the tribal contigent (well, at least a little bit) into play with a very shiny lead and a breakbeat. And as is his style, he's got the layers in his corner with a very synth pop feel. A different melody comes out of nowhere and it's Erasure vs. Depeche Mode up in here. It really sparkles and holds down the groove for almost 10 minutes. The break near the end undulates in a great mixture of original synth sounds. 80's who woulda thunk it? I'm breakin out my new do.

Posted Image

Respect!

Strange Parallels (Indidginus Simulacrum Remix)- Indiginus from South Africa blows my mind with that melody right in the beginning. And yes sir, it is haunting and funky at the same time. He drops the chopped up synth in epic trance style and I believe we took a turn into the euphoric side of things. The first melody returns with the original piano melody sounding great. Loved it as well.

Strange Parallels (ODT Remix)- A 303? Here? Yessir, these guys drop it and like you would expect it is filthy. Super groovy and yep...I'm dancing like noone is watching.

Posted Image

Just having some of my homies over. What? It's not gay! The air conditioner broke and we got all hot and sweaty so we took our shirts off. I don't see the problem...Dustin! Dustin, can you hand me some of that baby oil?

The other lead is metallic but plays nice with the 303. But let's face it...the 303 f*cking rules. When the break comes it's a panned electro experience and this is the first I'm hearing of the original. The final bit brings an icy pad hovering above the 303 and man am I glad I stepped in this.

Strange Parallels (Original Edit)- This is what I wrote when I reviewed his Geometry album:

"Cool percussion work again with a tribal feel. The soft piano melody is joined with some seriously liquid effects. When the guitar comes in I have to admit it is very pretty with a lot less cheese than the last track. The tone is a little more dark and a slight bit hopeful, just the way I like it. This is a very pretty song."

Posted Image

I know right, pre criminal record Lindsay? 13 bucks for 10 versions of the same song? Well let me tell you...it's worth it. While most are in the progressive, house, trance genre, the standout's to me are the dubstep from Nick and Koan's take. Can't forget about the ODT 303 that's for sure. The remixes were actually remixes and not just re hashes of the original. Once you hear a song 10 times in a row it tends to stick with you. The original was very beautiful and the other artists did a great job of putting their own twist on it. I really liked it.

Beatport

Mdk

• 1 month later...