South African psy thread

exotic

Report all links (live sets, sets, videos , soundcloud , latest releases, news) here. :)

This thread is in celebration of my renewed love for this subgenre of psy after listening to the new lost and found album. What a motherfucker of an album this, right from the word go , 10 tracks crafted with the most modern production and astute musical sense. Having a real blast listenign to this every time i play it. I know i should be writing a review becuase a thread like this wouldnt do it justice like a review would, but still it would get some of you folks to check it out becuase this is what psytrance, not goa, in my opinion is meant to sound like ; no annoying breaks, something that has been a regular feature in most SA psy that i had a lot of expectation from (case in point : Frozen Ghost , very good compilation tracks but his album was a far cry from what he delivered earlier) , water tight production and hypnotic as hell.

So yeah this what the future would sound like. We are slowly but surely getting there. B)

I haven't listened to it yet, but it's not surprise for me IMO. SA psy is by far the best subgenre of psytrance after the golden period of Goa. It's also the only genre that evolve through the years, but never lost its quality.

I haven't listened to it yet, but it's not surprise for me IMO. SA psy is by far the best subgenre of psytrance after the golden period of Goa. It's also the only genre that evolve through the years, but never lost its quality.

Suomi, tech-trance are definitely better IMO ;)

This thread is in celebration of my renewed love for this subgenre of psy after listening to the new lost and found album. What a motherfucker of an album this, right from the word go , 10 tracks crafted with the most modern production and astute musical sense.

Are you talking about a specific album?

Guest nectarios

Presumably this.

All about taste. I can appreciate the work put in the arrangement, as in there is a lot of editing and various samples/patches used, yet this kind of music that is full of risers and noisy (at some points very cheesy) synth work, odd breaks..etc and for me, its not deep at all. There are far too many elements in there to enjoy any kind of looping space that would get me into a trance state, which is why I am not into it. I haven't heard anything I like from 3D Vision in ages...I used to like Absolum sets but that was when Transwave where still thriving.

Peace out.

Sounds kinda good, although I still can't hear any common sound in psy I've seen people call "South African/Twilight".

Well there's the phatness in percussion and leads especially from SA producers. I can easily tell when a track has been made by a SA artist.

@ Time Trap

I was just kidding :P Of course it's a matter of taste.

Like I said if there's one thing that shows the talent behind the SA scene is teh fact that hasn't lost its quality. SA started in 2002 with almost minimal, dark techno beats, it slowly became more melodic snd really fat, then even more morning with less phat-until-you're-deaf sounds, then kinda more dark again etc.

We're talking for 9 whole years! I can't think any other psy subgenre that kept that long without losing its quality for some period.

Report all links (live sets, sets, videos , soundcloud , latest releases, news) here. :)

This thread is in celebration of my renewed love for this subgenre of psy after listening to the new lost and found album. What a motherfucker of an album this, right from the word go , 10 tracks crafted with the most modern production and astute musical sense. Having a real blast listenign to this every time i play it. I know i should be writing a review becuase a thread like this wouldnt do it justice like a review would, but still it would get some of you folks to check it out becuase this is what psytrance, not goa, in my opinion is meant to sound like ; no annoying breaks, something that has been a regular feature in most SA psy that i had a lot of expectation from (case in point : Frozen Ghost , very good compilation tracks but his album was a far cry from what he delivered earlier) , water tight production and hypnotic as hell.

So yeah this what the future would sound like. We are slowly but surely getting there. B)

Since you like the Lost & Found album. On the same party where they were playing there was another live act that was really good: CPU. I own his first album but more or less forgot about it over the years. But the live really was mindblowing. Lots of crazy but hard melodies, highly psychedelic and also lots of trippy noises and effects. I don't know if his newer albums live up to that gig but maybe you wanna give it a try. Funny enough I always thought the guy is from SA because of his music but after checking out discogs he is actually Swiss.

All about taste.

Peace out.

Its more state than taste to be very honest. ;)

I know what you mean when you say there are too many elements for you to get you into a state of hypnotic trance becuase i too prefer arrangements that are less claustrophobic and allow for some breathing space, but in this album even though its jam backed with atmosphere like you said , there is that pulsating sense of groove that hits me in the right spot that is so hard to resist jumping to, something that doesnt happen with 90% of the trance i listen to, either it happens first up while initially listeninng to an album or it doesnt , good albums shouldnt grow according to me , they should be distinct from what you normally hear on the first listen itself.

Its quite subjective that we could talk about it till the cows come home but there will not be a consensus on what would get everyone groovy and trancy. For me its a maximal atmosphere with phat kick and bass and effects that complement the entire structure without trying to stand out separate from it. Its all here and thats why i love this album. :D

The latest L&F is pretty intelligent IMO.

ZA guys are good, have always been. Punchy stuff.

My all time fav in ZA remains Shift!

Guest nectarios

Its more state than taste to be very honest. ;)

I know what you mean when you say there are too many elements for you to get you into a state of hypnotic trance becuase i too prefer arrangements that are less claustrophobic and allow for some breathing space, but in this album even though its jam backed with atmosphere like you said , there is that pulsating sense of groove that hits me in the right spot that is so hard to resist jumping to, something that doesnt happen with 90% of the trance i listen to, either it happens first up while initially listeninng to an album or it doesnt , good albums shouldnt grow according to me , they should be distinct from what you normally hear on the first listen itself.

The thing with the tunes I heard (I only heard the samples online mind you and a youtube clip of Decoder to get a better idea of the whole thing) from this album is that they are anything BUT filled with atmosphere (which is something I never said by the way). There is so much stuff crammed in that there is no space to enjoy any kind of atmosphere. The tunes come in nice but its not long before the cheese fest of the detuned unison leads, risers and odd breaks that is so characteristic of the new(er) 3D Vision sound, comes in and stays for the duration of the tune.

Prodcution wise its proper slamming, the south africans can pull a good mix together, but the actuall "music" and vibe is way too noisy and not deep at all, which in my case, is the 90% of today's "psy"trance.

I do love rippings leads and rough vibe, Tristan is a prime example of someone that gets the whole thing right and with proper balance, imo.

Are the cows home yet? ;)

Peace out.

The thing with the tunes I heard (I only heard the samples online mind you and a youtube clip of Decoder to get a better idea of the whole thing) from this album is that they are anything BUT filled with atmosphere (which is something I never said by the way). There is so much stuff crammed in that there is no space to enjoy any kind of atmosphere.

I think we have different taste. You like elements few and far in between and enjoy sparse atmosphere created by those elements, whereas i like the atmopshere in a track created by the presense of various leads and effects that drive the entire composition/structure. You would tend to prefer minimal , whereas i would go for maximal not that i would not appreciate good minimal.

The thing with the tunes I heard (I only heard the samples online mind you and a youtube clip of Decoder to get a better idea of the whole thing) from this album is that they are anything BUT filled with atmosphere (which is something I never said by the way). There is so much stuff crammed in that there is no space to enjoy any kind of atmosphere. The tunes come in nice but its not long before the cheese fest of the detuned unison leads, risers and odd breaks that is so characteristic of the new(er) 3D Vision sound, comes in and stays for the duration of the tune.

Prodcution wise its proper slamming, the south africans can pull a good mix together, but the actuall "music" and vibe is way too noisy and not deep at all, which in my case, is the 90% of today's "psy"trance.

I do love rippings leads and rough vibe, Tristan is a prime example of someone that gets the whole thing right and with proper balance, imo.

Are the cows home yet? ;)

Peace out.

I highly doubt that Lost & Found cares to create a deep, minimal, clubby music with no twists at all. SA music was always about off the wall in your face pumping madness and thank god it's still like that.

Guest nectarios

I think we have different taste. You like elements few and far in between and enjoy sparse atmosphere created by those elements, whereas i like the atmopshere in a track created by the presense of various leads and effects that drive the entire composition/structure. You would tend to prefer minimal , whereas i would go for maximal not that i would not appreciate good minimal.

Its obvious we like different things. I do appreciate a busy mix when its done with a certain taste, which is why I brought up Tristan and to add to that some Dick Trevor tunes. They too have various leads and effects in hefty amounts, they just don't have (especially Tristan) them cheesy/noisy leads. Me saying this is too noisy does not mean I think Minilogue or Son Kite is the kind of trance I like to dance to in a busy dancefloor, listen to at home...etc

Having said all that, I would dance to this music if I was high as a kite at a busy dancefloor. Yes this music is not deep and yes, a lot of people do not care about deep music at psy-trance parties (which is a whole different subject altogether), its all personal taste. I mean some people think this is deep psychedelic trance, me saying otherwise is besides the point and we go to the whole talk about it til the cows come home statement, which reflects the one simple fact, that there are so many people nowdays that have so wildly varying trance "education", that there is no point talking about it in order to come to a common conclusion of what is psychedelic, deep...etc.

I mean there was a thread on Isra where a user said "why is there so much cheese in psy-trance?" and then said he wanted more music like Yahel and Vibe Tribe....go figure...

Peace out.

Couldn't agree more... but you already knew that :rolleyes:

Well I have checked this Lost and Found. It's not bad.

But when it come to fullon, I'm searching for a more minimal approach like Headroom...

http://www.discogs.c...release/1303776

Is there any new development in that area?

Not in the South African scene. :P

SA is pure power and maximal beats. I highly doubt you could find SA artists with more minimal approach. Maybe Parana or Slug which are less in-your-face.