Tech-trance industrial landscapes

Procyon

This is awesome man, really digging this set.

Got a tracklist? I know the first track is Hujaboy, but I have to pass on the rest.

I am working on that. I don't have the cover of a CD that was the base of this mix, I am trying to get iTunes to name them. But I remember some artists name by heart: Platform, Spirallianz, Boo Reka, Ectima, some Z.M.A.R.T. tracks. When I get them I will post here ;)

Got them! I received a comment in another forum saying it's impossible that some of such good tracks are more than 5 years old. Fine stuff never gets old, Spirallianz from 1999 drives people crazy to this day, Platform released only one album and it's one of the best ever in electronic music ;) . I just wished there were more tech-trance good releases. Miss it a lot.

1. Hujaboy - Counting Spirals (Hom-mega Productions, 2002)

2. Ectima - Bounce (Tesserac Studios, 2010)

3. Platform - Wood (Star Jelly Records, 2004)

4. Platform - Conveyer (Star Jelly Records, 2004)

5. Spirallianz - Fast Forward (Spirit Zone Recordings, 1999)

6. Sentna - Xard Qcuxe from Tech Nald album (internet release, 2010)

7. Eargear - Pegelreiter (Bochumer Ton Manufaktur, 2000)

8. Platform - Back Front (Moonflower Productions, 2005)

9. Boo Reka - Psychodelichesky (Boshke Beats Records, 2002)

Some of these tracks were total monsters: haunting, scary, thumping tech-trance beasts. Others were more trancey and less pounding but still fit the theme. They were all very nice tracks, with the exception of the last one (in my opinion). The flow of the set was pretty nice, but I must say I preferred the first half. Unfortunately, the mixing here is kinda bad. I can't really blame you, because I'm sure these tracks are tough to blend well together, but you had a few beatmatching issues as well. I'm planning one of these mixes myself! I was going to use the Hujaboy track but since you already played it, I'll find something else ;)

Nice mix, man, keep it up!

Some of these tracks were total monsters: haunting, scary, thumping tech-trance beasts. Others were more trancey and less pounding but still fit the theme. They were all very nice tracks, with the exception of the last one (in my opinion). The flow of the set was pretty nice, but I must say I preferred the first half. Unfortunately, the mixing here is kinda bad. I can't really blame you, because I'm sure these tracks are tough to blend well together, but you had a few beatmatching issues as well. I'm planning one of these mixes myself! I was going to use the Hujaboy track but since you already played it, I'll find something else ;)

Nice mix, man, keep it up!

I think you should try "Counting Spirals" in your mix, it may sound different depending on how you match it to other tracks. As for the mix quality, you're right, it's not perfect. I mixed the tracks without a previous rehearsal, for I don't enjoy those cirurgically lasered mixes that sound like were done by a from-the-future robot and not by a guy in his bedroom drinking a beer. I could have fixed the mis-matchings, just had to push a button in the mastering process, but that would make it perfectly boring, IMO. I understand you didn't like Boo Reka's track, but I had to close my mix with something strong, powerful, that's why I picked his track. ;)

I think you should try "Counting Spirals" in your mix, it may sound different depending on how you match it to other tracks. As for the mix quality, you're right, it's not perfect. I mixed the tracks without a previous rehearsal, for I don't enjoy those cirurgically lasered mixes that sound like were done by a from-the-future robot and not by a guy in his bedroom drinking a beer. I could have fixed the mis-matchings, just had to push a button in the mastering process, but that would make it perfectly boring, IMO. I understand you didn't like Boo Reka's track, but I had to close my mix with something strong, powerful, that's why I picked his track. ;)

It should probably work very well with the tracks I have lined up, but we will see what my final decision ends up being. I'm still waiting on another CD to arrive and I need to keep digging to find some more excellent tracks.

As far as the mixing goes, I don't agree with your statement that good mixing sounds boring. In instances where the genre is House or Techno and the mix just plods along with perfect transitions, I can see your point. But where you have a bundle of unique tracks that have a certain level of energy associated with them, dropping the flow or screwing up a beatmatch is detrimental to the entire mix. Trust me, I've screwed up my mixing in plenty of mixes I've released. It sounds terrible when a transition gets ruined. That doesn't "give the mix more character", it makes it sound bad in my opinion. I love to drink a beer and smoke some weed when I'm mixing, and I still place a large amount of importance on how each transition sounds. You can still make it "surgically lasered by a robot from the future" and still make your mixing unique and energetic, especially with these tracks. Look out for my try in the next couple of months. If I blow some transitions, you can give me hell! :D

Not at all. I am not picky about transitions - see, I have this admiration for Goa Gil, for the songs he chooses for his set and also for his not caring much about matchings. Well, I think I am an old school DJ, that must explain my not caring much also. What I am really picky about are the tracks, it they're good then the mix is worthy, no matter what.

Anyway, share your mix with us. Tech-trance mixes are so rare, I am really curious about the tracks you have selected.