Why so few female Psy-artists?

Geostigma

It seems it's the other way round. "There is a difference in sensitivity of hearing between the sexes, with women typically having a higher sensitivity to higher frequencies than men."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range#Humans

http://www.genderdifferences.org/hearing.htm

I wasn't referring to sensitivity, but range and detail. This is interesting though.

A totally non-scientific and personal example is that most of my male friends into Metal pay great attention to the technical aspects of the music while the females tend to focus on lyrics and lead-melodies. Anyone else noticed this?

EDIT:

There is a difference in sensitivity of hearing between the sexes, with women typically having a higher sensitivity to higher frequencies than men (Gotfrit 1995).

The fact that there's no mention of females having superior hearing probably means that it's the other way around. That's how political-correctness works in contemporary science lol. :D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't referring to sensitivity, but range and detail. This is interesting though.

I'd say they're pretty much equivalent. Greater sensitivity at high frequencies means you can hear them better, which means your frequency range is greater.

A totally non-scientific and personal example is that most of my male friends into Metal pay great attention to the technical aspects of the music while the females tend to focus on lyrics and lead-melodies. Anyone else noticed this?

EDIT:

The fact that there's no mention of females having superior hearing probably means that it's the other way around. That's how political-correctness works in contemporary science lol. :D

Oh yeah ofcourse there will be differences in how men & women perceive music or any art for that matter. I think trance is pretty emotional, so I don't see that as being a reason. Hmm...unless it's the vocals. More Michele Adamson!

Also I'd say higher sensitivity = better hearing. So imo, women have better hearing.

Also I'd say higher sensitivity = better hearing. So imo, women have better hearing.

That does make sense. But they said the opposite on the show I mentioned, and used it as an explanation as to why so few females work with sound engineering. It was a show made for national radio drawing on studies done at a respected university. So I would be surprised if it was total bullshit. I'll have to see if I can dig out some info.

Do you guys/gals think there is a genetic component to which music we enjoy too? I have always been curious about this aspect. Obviously there are a lot of other important factors too, but I'm curious.

The main reason I wonder is I find myself liking an unusually high amount of Scandinavian music for the number of people who live there, and it just so happens most of my ancestors are from Norway, Sweden, and Denmark (I'm 4th gen American though). I almost never know where a band/artist is from when first hearing them either, so I doubt I am just "biased". Maybe it's just a coincidence though.

Do you guys/gals think there is a genetic component to which music we enjoy too? I have always been curious about this aspect. Obviously there are a lot of other important factors too, but I'm curious.

I'm 100% certain there is.

Do you guys/gals think there is a genetic component to which music we enjoy too?

It's a very good question and personally I have no idea. If anyone knows of any actual research about this I'd love to see it.

I'm 100% certain there is.

Why?

Why?

Because we are genetic beings. Our genome decides how well we'll be able to see, and thus decides to what extend we are able to enjoy visual experiences etc. It would be weird if that didn't have any influence on our experience of music. Especially in this day and age where getting access to the most obscure sub-genres is easier than picking up a bottle of milk at the store.

In other words; if you have the hormonal balance (or lack there of) to enjoy really aggressive music -> then you will find it. If not, then chance that you'll get into it because of your social surroundings is minimal. Here I mean REALLY getting into it. Craving it. You might be able to enjoy a semi-melodic chorus of some Metal song. But you wouldn't cry if the noisy guitar parts was removed. Some would call that taste. I call it biology.

Ya dig?

I'd have to disagree. Enjoyment of music is socially influenced in my mind, not genetically influenced.

Can't it be both, socially and genetically?

Interesting. By coincidence, I was thinking about this on my way home from work. Why is it some people really dig Goa/Psytrance and others just don't get it at all? I was introduced to Goa by people I got to know in the late 90's and loved it instantly. I don't see these people anymore at parties, I guess they moved on. Since then, only a few of my friends kinda got into it, while others showed no interest at all. It seems to me that you either love it or hate it... you can see the same thing in other genres.

I know I am going off-topic with this... :ph34r:

Can't it be both, socially and genetically?

I just don't see how genetics would have any part in it, unless there were some ethnic group that had a physically different range of hearing than other people, and passed on genetically, and whose music made use of those frequencies.

Not that I know much about genetics.

I just don't see how genetics would have any part in it

Well ofcourse genetics has a part in it since our genes determine everything about us. I don't know about the how the expression of the genes involved though, i.e. if the environment affects the expression of the genes responsible for our sense of aesthetics.

Related: An article on the neuroscience of beauty.

www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-neuroscience-of-beauty

^ Exactly ^

Our generation has been brain-washes into thinking that genetics doesn't have any influence on who we are. Mainly because of world war 2. Unesco's program to erase the idea of racial and genetic differences has been a great success (I can see why it was necessary). But Unesco is more than anything else a political/humanistic program, not a scientific one. Fact is that our genome decides far more than we'd like to think and that there is a great genetic difference between various human races. Not just the color of our skin. To think that music is somehow above this seems quite absurd to me. Just like it's absurd to ignore the environmental influence.

Here's an article that says it's probably a little bit of both:

Musical taste may be genetic

Fact is that our genome decides far more than we'd like to think and that there is a great genetic difference between various human races.

No. We share 99.9% of our DNA. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/1416706/DNA-survey-finds-all-humans-are-99.9pc-the-same.html

Or define 'great genetic difference'.

^ Exactly ^

Our generation has been brain-washes into thinking that genetics doesn't have any influence on who we are. Mainly because of world war 2. Unesco's program to erase the idea of racial and genetic differences has been a great success (I can see why it was necessary). But Unesco is more than anything else a political/humanistic program, not a scientific one. Fact is that our genome decides far more than we'd like to think and that there is a great genetic difference between various human races. Not just the color of our skin. To think that music is somehow above this seems quite absurd to me. Just like it's absurd to ignore the environmental influence.

Here's an article that says it's probably a little bit of both:

Musical taste may be genetic

Well apparently I am part African then since I like rythmic, drum-bassed music.

Well apparently I am part African then since I like rythmic, drum-bassed music.

I think you are confusing genes with place of origin? Europeans can like drums, and Africans can like opera. It depends on how a person's brain is wired, which depends on their genes, and how those genes are expressed.

Ofcourse genes can be correlated to place of origin, so there is some link between the two, but not enough to say that on the basis of that, musical taste and place of origin are linked.

I think it has to do with mathematics and stubborness... :)

- Don't forget electronic music is pure mathematical... And it is proven that girls have a less mathematical mind then men... (don't forget, orientation etc is mathematical too) In the Greek times, music was not "art", but mathematic. Because men have a more mathematical mind, they are more attracted to electronic music... (theory 1)

- Second influence: Men have more obsessions. 89% of all big collections in the world are collected by male beings... To make electronic music you need some obsessive behaviour... Sitting hours, days and days behind a pc... Dreaming about that stupid music program at night etc... (theory 2)

Those 2 together makes the main reason imo :)

Joske summed it all properly.

To make it a bit funnier, I wouldn't really see girls spending hours in the studio when they have to do so many things such as cooking, cleaning, making themselves beautiful (hairdresser/spa/beauty salons/nails and whatnot..) ahah no just kidding %) (now i will receive flamings from all the girls in the forum!).

Beside stupid jokes I really think musicians can be both male and female but I would easily see a girl playing (probably much better than a man) a classical instrument such as a Violin, or a Piano or even an acoustic guitar and then female are just ideal for singing, there are some angels out there with a voice that can give you chills and make you feel like heaven, and that rarely happens with men.

So the best are cooperation with a girl singing and a man making the electronics behind such as I've heard in many chill projects.

;)

Joske summed it all properly.

To make it a bit funnier, I wouldn't really see girls spending hours in the studio when they have to do so many things such as cooking, cleaning, making themselves beautiful (hairdresser/spa/beauty salons/nails and whatnot..) ahah no just kidding %) (now i will receive flamings from all the girls in the forum!).

Beside stupid jokes I really think musicians can be both male and female but I would easily see a girl playing (probably much better than a man) a classical instrument such as a Violin, or a Piano or even an acoustic guitar and then female are just ideal for singing, there are some angels out there with a voice that can give you chills and make you feel like heaven, and that rarely happens with men.

So the best are cooperation with a girl singing and a man making the electronics behind such as I've heard in many chill projects.

;)

I don't know ANY women working as hairdressers. I think a woman might have cut my hair once. C'mon, hairdressers are gay men, know your stereotypes. :P

The women I know are: programmers, statisticians, IT workers, computer artists, rivetheads, hardcore gamers, science fiction authors, fantasy authors. My mother introduced me to Philip K. Dick novels. The host of the last rave I went to was a woman. Honestly I find this whole discussion bizarre.

And about singers and 'angelic' vocals. I'll take Frank Sinatra's vocals over Siouxsie Sioux' any day.

Hey walkabout, you have a point of course.

I of course never implied there aren't girls like you described, I just happen to know maybe one or two of that kind, but that of course depends on where you live and who your friends are (that's regarding personal life choices of course) or which kind of girls you like to hang out with/date.

Regarding all the producers from the scene, which is what the topic was about, if you count them, they are still less than men! can you deny it?

I don't say that there are not talented male singers of course and there are horrible female singers too (miss kittin?) :)

The women I know are: programmers, statisticians....

Obviously you don't know many women then, because these areas are overwhelmingly dominated by men. When a woman slips through the normal grains of society and grows a brain that's logical and scientific like a much larger proportion of men do, then they can occasionally enter these areas. However we are only talking about the isolated cases here, since, due to gender roles positions in society, it rarely happens, and most of the time when it happens the woman is inferior to the men in the same role.

Talking about music, it seems very dominated by men, whether it involves tinkering with synthesizers or other instruments. Women can sing, but in that regard they are just another instrument in the song, controlled by some other forces. Other than that, most of them can gyrate around on stage like whores, but that has little to do with the music.

When a woman slips through the normal grains of society and grows a brain that's logical and scientific like a much larger proportion of men do.

Talking about music, it seems very dominated by men, whether it involves tinkering with synthesizers or other instruments.

Both points are don't make any sense and are obviously wrong. I think you're trolling?

- Second influence: Men have more obsessions. 89% of all big collections in the world are collected by male beings... To make electronic music you need some obsessive behaviour... Sitting hours, days and days behind a pc... Dreaming about that stupid music program at night etc... (theory 2)

89%? lol

anyways, i cant help it but add something to this subject which might create unnecessary reactions, drugs! but thats from the listener perspective, and they lack absolute creativity on explaining music in words, "dudes" do it better :P

however, they have found another way to help the scene: www.fuckforforest.com

on topic, Lava 303 heard some nice tunes from her, though it is general psychedelia and less trance

Obviously you don't know many women then, because these areas are overwhelmingly dominated by men. When a woman slips through the normal grains of society and grows a brain that's logical and scientific like a much larger proportion of men do, then they can occasionally enter these areas. However we are only talking about the isolated cases here, since, due to gender roles positions in society, it rarely happens, and most of the time when it happens the woman is inferior to the men in the same role.

Talking about music, it seems very dominated by men, whether it involves tinkering with synthesizers or other instruments. Women can sing, but in that regard they are just another instrument in the song, controlled by some other forces. Other than that, most of them can gyrate around on stage like whores, but that has little to do with the music.

Posted Image