2. Lost in a crystal sphere

3. Psyramid (Live mix)

4. Tabernacle

5. When the universe was created

6. Southern Oracle

7. Ataraxia

8. Lost in paradise

9. Mysteries of the women

Stop me if you've heard this one...I'm surprised nobody has reviewed this yet. Filipe has long been in the scene and has released so much great stuff (a lot of it for free, hippies) that I will merely direct you to his Discogs page. Maybe it hasn't been reviewed because these untold stories were released awhile ago. So, technically I guess these stories have actually already been told even though the tracklist is slightly different from the original release. These are tracks from 2004-2007 and it was only recently that the original files were found and given a fresh coat of sound paint. Now I can't tell a Lost Buddha from an Amithaba Buddha but what I do know is great music. Anytime Filipe deciedes he wants to release some goa trance I will be first in line to check it out. He has great skill creating melodies and swirling layers that I can't get enough of. The cover is simple with beautiful colors created by another talented individual, Ivan Richpa (he of Neogoa fame.)

Transfiguration (Anti-Gravity mix)- "Maybe I'm dreaming with my eyes open. Which means, maybe I'm awake....dreaming I was asleep."

Deep, dude. Think about that, truly a chicken and egg scenario. Quick with soft pads and racing synths that tumble in waves like surf. There is a delectable floating quality in the breaks and a powerful attack when all the leads come out to play. Mystical sounding as he jumps from melody to melody without losing the atmosphere.

Lost In A Crystal Sphere- Posted Image

Don't fart in that thing...no escape.

As I've said before, Filipe doesn't believe in long elaborate intros as he comes out swinging his 303 hammer like Thor on a ecstasy bender. Groovy times 10 as the layers wash over you...so lush. The break combines crawling electronics with the Indian flute giving a spiritual vibe to an outerspace track. The end isn't super, but it maintains it's strong focus.

Psyramid(Live Mix)- Live? I can't tell...I don't hear chicks screaming or the sound of grandma's bloomers thudding upon the stage. Maybe that doesn't happen at a show. I dunno. But I reviewed this track here. on his EP of the same name. So I won't go into it here, but let me say it is one of my favorite tracks by Mr. Santos. Full of power and melody with a f*ck you attitude.

Asian strings and bubbling synths usher in a nitzho kick. Man he was bringing it back even on this release! Dude, are you using an accordion sound to make a goa melody? Nice of you to give Weird Al some work. He just continues to weave leads upon each other without sounding abrupt or foreign. This has a delicious sunshine feel as that 303 ripples its way across the track. He comes full circle for the final push as he lead shuffles yet again. Cool thing is it never sounds cluttered or as Salieri would say...too many notes.

Posted Image

Wow, that's a lot of notes.

When The Universe Was Created- How about...no intro. Like the track name indicates the effects open up the beginnings of the universe. Melodies twinkle here and there before a dominant lead scrambles leaving flames in its wake. I would say this track is a bit more drifting, but still brings the intensity. Another gold standard.

Southern Oracle- Posted Image

Probably didn't mean this one, huh? The only thing this oracle sees is a trailer littered with empty beer cans.

Now you can find this track in 3 (now 4) places. On the Ataraxia EP, on the Golden Vibes compilation and the State of Spirit comp. That should tell you about its grandeur and staying power. Rich melodies sometimes straying into the nitzhonot camp combine with a heavy beat and a strong undercurrent of spirituality. It's loud and in your face, but never fails to please. Enjoy the story and give in to the layers.

Ataraxia- I reviewed this here but if you're lazy like me I will just paste what I wrote...

"If you want a job done right, I have to do it!"

This one is steeped in the goa feel and all its reverberating glory. The melodies drip with sunshine shining like a searchlight, once again moving in and out. The break only drops the beat as the mysticism continues. Each lead has its own sound, making it more distinctive as if they are all actors in a play. This is high power that leads to a spiritual high. Superb.

Lost in Paradise- This can be had on the Pyramidal Trancendance compilation and it is another cracker. More bouncing melodies and a playful Nitzho feel. But like he has always done, gone is the cheese and all that's left is substance. Dressing this track in layers like a toddler venturing out into his first winter wonderland it's beautiful to listen to. Ever seen a Christmas Story? No?

Posted Image

God forbid he had to take a sh*t...no way he would make it in time. Truly, I am adrift on solar waves during this intricate journey to paradise.

Mysteries of the Women- The leads here shimmer like the Northern Lights and instantly I feel like he teamed up with E-mantra. What are the mysteries anyway? Why they can hold a grudge longer that you can hold a job? Why they can tell you they're ok when inside that mind is more theorems on why you f*cked up than a geometry class? Or maybe, just maybe it's how they control the world with solely a pair of boobs. And make no mistake, they have all the power. This is danceable melody at its finest with more layers than your cousin's wedding cake. It drifts, it bubbles, it screeches...home run baby.

Does the fact that I have heard all these tracks before make this non-essential? I don't believe so. The recent Space Tribe offering Continuum Vol. 1 is a best of, but I didn't like all of those tracks the first time I heard them. Maybe not a fair example. The Alienapia album Goapocalipsis had 3 tunes on compilations that were heard before and that is a modern day classic. This disc was awesome as well sounding very old school. The fact that he can get so much out of equipment that is now obsolete is a testament to his skills and his ear for how to construct a song. I love this release and am pleased that Phototropic (which he has a history with) finally released it. Goa trance through and through. Do not hesitate.

Psyshop

Beatspace

GoaStore

Mdk

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I feel bad about not noticing this thread! This album is the classic unofficial Untold Stories 2004-2007 Live version with half different tracks, a fact that alone makes this special. The unofficial release is certainly superior aside from the hideous mastering, just with Astral Planes remix alone, but the tracks on this live version are still some of filipe's best work which I feel like makes it an essential in any physical collection with post 2000 goa.

• Like 1

This album makes me sad - I love all the tracks on offer, but the clipping sounds at the end of every track make listening to it too annoying for me. I've actually only listened to it from start to finish like 2-3 times and I bought it when it was released.

This album makes me sad - I love all the tracks on offer, but the clipping sounds at the end of every track make listening to it too annoying for me. I've actually only listened to it from start to finish like 2-3 times and I bought it when it was released.

Just crossfade it, problem solved.

If I knew what crossfading is, the problem might be solved indeed.

If using iTunes, Edit > Preferences... > Playback > Crossfade Songs (check the box and set the slider to something longer than 0)

Dunno whether any other common media players have such an option.

If using iTunes, Edit > Preferences... > Playback > Crossfade Songs (check the box and set the slider to something longer than 0)

Dunno whether any other common media players have such an option.

Foobar2000 aka the one and only software for playing music files. It only does everything. :ph34r:

But let's get back on topic.

• 3 years later...

I am hearing this album for the first time in 2015, the date of this post. Why haven't I heard of this sooner? After posting a thread in the general section via your "Top 10 New School Trance Albums" ... several people mentioned this release. So I did a search on YouTube where you can stream the full album below. It's very good. But the track lists are a little different. On YouTube, the album is called Untold Stories 2004-2007. Does this review thread relate to a different release?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QErewkZ2z80

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I loved the original release on Metapsychic Records and this newer one which is thankfully available on Spotify. This is a very classic Goa Trance indeed. The tracks convey a very youthful explorative vibe, at times sentimental. There was something very refreshing at the time when the first Neogoa wave hit, it was the optimism of the resurrection of a largely neglected/forgotten genre. Infused with some newer ideas and interpretations of what the genre could encompass. Of course at the time there was not only praise for the resurgence of this genre. There was quite a lot of criticism, which I think in hindsight was kind of unmerited for the most part.

The original release blew me away when it was released on Metapsychic Records, as it sounded like a complete recreation of what the essence of Goa Trance was about. But managed to inbue it with a new sense of euphoria and a more realistic approach to oriental melodies. There was more emphasis on articulation points and a true sense of melodic hooks, just listen to the beautiful main melody in Mysteries Of The Women! This is truly summer music. :) 

The artwork for this release was made by Psynews forum member Richpa from Neogoa Records, and it is a very nice interpretation which captures the mysterious/enlightened aspects of the music. The original artwork from the Metapsychic Release was also nice it featured a green field filled with yellow summer flowers. Almost like some Elysian Fields. Both artworks capture something unique, and in a way encapsulate the essence of this music, which is the balance of light and darkness, euphoria and mysteries.