Entheogenic - Gaia Sophia

Richpa

Posted Image

• Love Letters To The Soul (27:23)
  • Body Of Light (Sophia Mix) (9:20)
  • Badbury Rings (14:11)
  • Multiverse (11:58)
  • Fire Horse & Storm (6:12)

Such a shame that no one posted any reviews yet for this gem. However I'm gonna drop some toughts about their latest effort entitled Gaia Sophia. First of all I'm really big fan of their work and for me they are really one of the best downtempo psychedelic projects around. Their last record Flight Of The Urbus, released in 2008. was probably their worst album/effort so far, I really did not like it.Self-Titled, Dialogue Of The Speakers or Spontaneous Illumination were outstanding albums. So my expectations for Gaia Sophia album were high.

Album opener Love Letters To The Soul is probably one of the longest psychill/ambient tunes ever and definetley longest Entheogenic tune up to date with over 27 minutes. It's hard to follow every segment of this tune. First part of the track, which starts with nice female ''orient-type'' vocal and with nice melodies in background - true magic, real Entheogenic in best possible way. Track kicks off with some 4/4 beats around 14 minute and it was huuge suprise, really nice to see that guys who are producing downtempo music whole time, can bring out some nice uptempo beat aswell. The best thing here is that they kept their trademark sound and thoose nice effects and melodies goes well alongside uptempo parts. For me one of the best Entheogenic tunes so far.

Multiverse tune was also one of my favorites on this album, really great storytelling and super cool melodies and effects around spiced up with interesting vocals.

Other three tracks on this album are also great but I always love to mention only tunes that shocked me in a absolutley positive way. This album got only 5 tracks but don't be afraid, it's almost 70 minutes long and if you like psychill music in general or Entheogenic and their work, go and get this album. In my case, this is probably my favorite downtempo release in 2011. It reminds a lot on their Spontaneous Illumination album from 2003. so if you liked that one, you gonna probably like this one too. In the end, just to mention great cover artwork design, love it and it fits great with music.

Album rating: 8,4/10

Samples / Digital download: Here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Gotta weigh in on this one. Like Richpa's excellent review stated it's 5 tracks but it ain't short. I also was disappointed with Flight of the Urbus but have no fear. They re back to the "Entheogenic" sound which is laden with religious and mystical samples and that ethnic tone. Like water? Lots of that here. The first track Love Letters To The Soul is 27 f*cking minutes and I didn't care one bit. It was awesome. So many twists and turns!

Multiverse is a twisted descent into madness that is easy to love.

It's great psy-chill that doesn't lull you to sleep, but rather opens your mind up and takes you on a journey. Very easy to get wrapped up in the detail and atmosphere.

Super work!

Mdk