SJ0Gu3W.jpg

Artist: Javi
Title: The Aural Exciter EP
Label: Neogoa
Date: July, 2011

1. Something Is Crawling
2. The Forest Masters
3. Wie Een Put Graaft Voor Een Ander Heeft Flink Gewerkt

There are a lot of things to be disappointed with in this world. When you don't get what you want for Christmas, that's disappointing.

VLsDrYZ.gif

You try and teach your child good manners and they insist on embarrassing you when they are invited to someone's house.

YdJPif6.gif

"F*ck you Aunt Cathy and your socks for my birthday!"

If someone you thought was a friend takes something of yours without asking, well...I would be disappointed too.

YwDEIW0.gif

So wrong.  But so funny.

Alas all that pales in comparison to the disappointment I felt when I found out that Neogoa was shutting its doors. Virtually I mean...a website doesn't have doors silly. A label that Ivan worked tirelessly upon to provide the listener with free goa trance as well as information for the uninformed in one tidy place. It's tough to work and lose money, but to not get paid in the first place and then for people to crap on his efforts...seems kind of juvenile. Bah, there is a whole thread for that, this is a review thread.

Apparently there are still 4 free things in the works so at least we can look forward to that. Javi is the first one and peoples let me tell you...we are headed in the right direction.

Something Is Crawling- When I see the word crawl I cannot but help think of the mind-altering track Congratulations (Crawl Into My Mouth) by Kiriyama. That was an insane effects-laden trip for sure. Lots of crazy effects shatter sharply above a very fluid and clear bass line and kick. If you were waiting with baited breath to hear some more funshiney goa...whoops. This has 2 feet in the dark, strange type that has been underrepresented. Hell I wouldn't even call it goa, but very psychedelic trance with a goa whisper. Still high powered and rhythmic with a classic 50's sci fi bent. Nice!

The Forest Masters- The track name tells you where you are going. I love it when goa and forest are combined as you can tell from my appreciation of Kiriyama. Right off the bat the goa vibes ripple with a very scratchy lead which is then joined by another lead. So much deliciousness going on with a distinct forest feel even though the sample is of an astronaut. This track is so lush and immense with sound and fury that I didn't think possible. It's the Temple of One of goa trance. Awe...wait for it....some.

Wie Een Put Graaft Voor Een Ander Heeft Flink Gewerkt- Last track of the EP and it is Dutch for...I don't remember seeing that rash on my cucumber. At least that's what Google translator told me. God knows that thing is never wrong. Regarding the track...it's f*cking great with eerie sounds and general weirdness while goa melodies thrash on top. The end reminds me of some old school sweetness and drives the point home. With a sledgehammer. Wielded by a monkey. Superb.

You know what they say...you don't know what you've got until it's gone. Even though I am disappointed to see Neogoa go, I have high hopes that it will rise from the ashes better than ever. This was a great little EP that should please those that don't want to hear any more good time, fun in the sun goa. Nice Job Javi!

Coming Soon

Mdk

• 10 months later...
The Forest Masters is the best Goa/Psy-track of 2011 for me. Very complex highly psychedelic forest sounds and very cool unique melodies. The melody at 5:55 is so fucking good. More of this stuff, please! :)