2. Shine

3. Pound a rhythm

4. Safety in numbers

5. Night lead me astray

6. Train

7. Spinning into place

8. System 700

9. Tetris

I have a younger brother. He was an instigator and believe me he got pounded for it. You know the type, sitting in the backseat with me while the parents were driving and all of a sudden yells, "Ow, Mike hit me!" Even though I didn't.

And I got in trouble. Didn't matter whether it was true or not, I was the older brother and I should know better. Older brothers have to pave the way for the younger ones so they can get away with murder. As a parent now though, I suppose that with each sibling the adults get more and more tired and just become less stringent. My thoughts anyway. You'll be happy to know that today my bro and I get along famously looking back on our childhoods with smiles.

Younger Brother is Benji Vaughn (Prometheus) and Simon Posford (Shpongle), two legends in the genre. Simon co-founded Twisted Records back in 1996 and it is responsible for some great stuff ranging from the Hallucinogen albums to the Shpongle releases. Hmmm...I wonder what the common denominator is? Anyway, this is their 3rd release as a project and it received quite the bit of buzz.

You know what this is? This is Younger Brother sounding like Coldplay. Hell, I think they are as good if not better than Coldplay. Vocals in every track, real world instruments from several musicians and an alternative feel throughout the album. Die hards will absolutely hate this. I haven't heard their other two albums, so for me this was a nice break from the usual psy-chill or psytrance. They do a good job creating a melancholic aura and while there isn't much psychedelia to be found it is a dreamy experience. I suppose this could be an introduction album for those that don't listen to psy but as I mentioned before if you were expecting some psychedelic downtempo you will be disappointed. Some would say this is like when Infected Mushroom strayed from psytrance, but the difference here is that the vocals are not embarrassing even though Infected was more psychedelic. If you go into this with zero expectations you will enjoy some very good alternative electronica. I know I really liked it. Stuff that you can really zone out to with headphones...just like Coldplay.

Psyshop

Beatspace

SaikoSounds

GoaStore

Mdk

01 - Crystalline [8/10]

02 - Shine [4/10]

03 - Pound A Rhythm [6/10]

04 - Safety In Numbers [5/10]

05 - Night Lead Me Astray [6/10]

06 - Train [8/10]

07 - Spinning Into Place [6/10]

08 - System 700 [6/10]

09 - Tetris [basicly it's outro...]

Overall, my personal fav's are Crystalline & Train. Shine is worst song on album, don't like it at all.

01 - Crystalline [8/10]

02 - Shine [4/10]

03 - Pound A Rhythm [6/10]

04 - Safety In Numbers [5/10]

05 - Night Lead Me Astray [6/10]

06 - Train [8/10]

07 - Spinning Into Place [6/10]

08 - System 700 [6/10]

09 - Tetris [basicly it's outro...]

Overall, my personal fav's are Crystalline & Train. Shine is worst song on album, don't like it at all.

Funny how tastes differ. I loved Shine, Night Lead Me Astray, as well as Train and Spinning into place. They get better with each listen.

Mdk

Neliz Younger Brother are Simon Posford (the god of psytrance) and prometheus.

It started as a psytrance project.

I gave lots of listens for this album. This album is the biggest album of this year. every milisecond in this album is constructed geniously.

At first it seems to me like all of the album energy is based on the vocals.

Well I was wrong. This album is full of energy way beyond the vocals. Simon Proves again , that every music section he touches become pure gold.

Amazing release

• 2 months later...

Younger Brother - Vaccine

Twisted Records, 2011

Posted Image

1. Crystalline

2. Shine

3. Pound A Rhythm

4. Safety In Numbers

5. Night Lead Me Astray

6. Train

7. Spinning Into Place

8. System 700

9. Tetris

Before "Vaccine" appeared on the market, the Younger Brother crew began their PledgeMusic action (for details please refer to the vast space of the Internet), which was to help them in releasing their newest album. Long story short: for some it is a modern form of e-begging, for others a clever way of getting funds for the release and an interesting form of promotion through the related bonus system for the people who pledge. An honorable thing, but in this particular case the result is miserable. As soon as the participants of this noble system heard the first tracks from the new album, the Internet was flooded with lots of comments like: "If I knew it would sound like that I would never have participated in this." or "I wish it was possible to un-pledge." Personally I must admit that I got the album when it leaked within the Web (by the way this is not the first time it happened in the case of Twisted Records - the problem popped up earlier with albums by Prometheus and Shpongle) out of sheer curiosity (later on I got myself the physical version). I gave it its "first flight" and that was it. I will not conceal the fact that it was a bit of a torment. There is as much of Simon Posford and Benji Vaughan in this one as there is of pig in guinea pig.

Forget about "A Flock Of Bleeps", or even the second album. "Vaccine" makes an album such as "The Last Days Of Gravity" pale as far as its innovations and new influences regarding the Younger Brother sound are concerned. The third album in this project's (now a band) discography could be as well signed under an entirely different name. It's hard to me, someone who nevertheless is trying to find some good sides, make positive comments about anything in connection to this release. "Vaccine" (for what?) bears the mark (sic) of so many boring tracks in the style of indie pop-rock that one will not find here the genius we encountered on their debut album from 2003. Because of its similarity to lots and lots of other bands of this type (with Coldplay being at the forefront), the group has lost all its uniqueness and momentum, thus the dynamics and suspense go quickly to sleep, along with the listener. It seems that there is something going on for the whole time, but the whole thing just does not add up. Maybe if this farce lasting a little over 50 minutes was devoid of the unnecessary, boring vocals by Ruu, listening to it would be a more enjoyable experience. I have not heard such a characterless voice for a long time. In each of the tracks the listener is being treated with a spineless story taken from the pages of indie rock festivals, which makes the uniqueness of the artists involved in it non-credible. I felt shock and emptiness, especially since the album was created by two men who are responsible for timeless creations within the psychedelic scene (albums like "Twisted," "The Lone Deranger", "Robot-O-Chan", "Corridor Of Mirrors", the entire Shpongle discography and the brilliant debut of Younger Brother). The album quickly makes it way to be one of the biggest disappointments of this year and I doubt that anything else will able to threaten this position. Potentially interesting sonic topics and worlds one can explore were totally ruined and squandered. Eventually the Younger Brother sound is completely unrecognizable here and it gave place to yet another musical clone. All the fun fades away along the successive feats of dubious quality performed by Ruu.

The famous words by Pablo Picasso say: "Good artists copy, great artists steal." I thought of Posford and Vaughan - especially the former one - as of great artists. According to the famous painter's saying I can label them in this particular case only as good artists, because all they could afford here was to copy others, in this case someone like Coldplay. A cool idea for the simultaneous promotion and accumulating money intended to help in releasing the album is the only thing I want to remember in connection to the "Vaccine" project. I have no doubt that Simon and Benji have put a lot heart, passion and persistence into this release. The problem is that they lost their individuality to become yet another band in the line of many other pop-rock bands. If I wanted to listen to Coldplay, I would have reached for something from their discography. If I want to listen to Younger Brother I have to go back in time. Hipsters are sure to be pissing their pants out of delight. To paraphrase the chorus in the song called "Shine": Shame, shame, shame...

Templar / http://www.psytrance.pl

Links:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ybr/ybr1cd002.html

Die hards will absolutely hate this. I haven't heard their other two albums, so for me this was a nice break from the usual psy-chill or psytrance.

For me simon is brilliant mind with brilliant ideas for psychedelic music and is not usual psy-chill or psytrance music u must listen first him and than u can speak about him. He have so many project : Baba G, Celtic Cross, Dub Trees, Hallucinogen, Infernal Machine, Mystery Of The Yeti, North Central Positronics, Shpongle and Younger Brother.

This album Vaccine is not good for me.

Tray listen other album from Younger Brother project and u will see a total different style and really god psychedelic music is not usual chill or psy.

1.The Finger 2002

2.A Flock Of Bleeps 2003

3.The Last Days Of Gravity 2007

I wonder what Coldplay fans would say if someone did a review of Hallucinogen review on a a Coldplay forum ;)

If Simon Posford were a former member of Coldplay that would have been a good point.

• 2 weeks later...

I like their new style and I miss their older, more musically dynamic, vocal-free one.

Tracks like Crystalline and Shine (just to name a few) really stand out whether you like them or not. I think the repeating "I wanna shine" at the end of Shine was a bit unnecessary but a catchy track overall. I love the sound of Train. Musically it, or at least part of it sounds not far from a strong Solar Fields or Asura track. The tempo of the voice is good too, though I can't make out all of the words clearly.

One of my few gripes is that with some tracks, the singing voice could be a little clearer; I can't make out some of the words (same with Coldplay at times). I also think the artists could have involved more clear lyrics/singing on aware topics, such as: letting go, being/breaking free, consciousness, a new awakening beyond the veil of greed, power, control, negativity (see my sig video below for more on this). I suppose in some ways they've touched on some of this here; the album could have gone deeper without getting heady, in my opinion.

System 700 has more of a psy-influenced quality that the album lacks. I wish the final track was a little longer, and think that the overall album could have benefited having a track or two without lyrics. I'm thinking of the long-time fans here. No song on the album I loved to the degree of Psychic Gibben on their previous album, but I really like a handful of the songs here!

Good release overall. I enjoy listening to it straight though.

Favorites: 1, 2, 6, 8.

B

• 3 weeks later...

Well, to connect Younger Brother with Coldplay it's a weird conclusion to my ears.

If YB wouldn't have that kind of singing on the tunes, i recon that

the instrumental part is slightly different from Coldplay and such,

even if this album sounds really like a band album.

I personally like the evolution that their sound had so far, because every album is different

from each other, and still similar, if you know what i mean.

Of course i bought this release knowing that it's a poppish version of what YB have been before,

but i don't mind, especially because it's a very versatile album.

my 2 cents on this topic! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wicked , i didn't know what to expect from this but well they went a completely different direction.

Of course here people expects to hear/read only about psychedelic music but as far as i am concerned I like also alternative rock / folk and many other vocal genres, so i was quite surprised to hear this style coming from Simon and Benji.

I cannot say this is better / worse / similar to Coldplay as I don't know their music too well but I found this release refreshing and relaxing. Vocals are nice and the electronic parts very well done. There are different moods through the tracks and that's make it a release to keep on the ipod to listen to smth else. Will edit later with a list of favorites but so far there was no tracks i hated or found bad.

• 2 months later...

The review says it well. Forget that it's Hallucinogen and Prometheus behind the knobs and enjoy what remained: the melancholy!

When I did that, I actually thought, that's good! No psychedelic feelings or lovely melodies, but if this would play on radio, I wouldn't mind at all. Something good to relax and play on background without other people giving you weird looks. Something normal in your collection to play when normal people hang around. Think of it as YB fundraising project to patch the holes from all this digital piracy.

Just please first delete the song Safety in Numbers or your safety is not guaranteed :angry:

But I'm really curious about the opinion of Coldplay fans.