Insomnia

RTP

And again, it's insomnia for me.

It's really shitty. This is the third night I don't sleep properly. Fist night still was OK, got about 4 hours, not much to recover from weekend, but not a problem. Second night was tougher, only three. This day was kind of bad, but still manageable. But now it's the third night and so far it has not been a fucking minute of sleep because we had a thunderstorm with, well, thunder.

The shit is, I cant take a sleeping pill now because it will knock me out (because of the valerian which I am already on) and I have to get up in 4,5 hours.

I got so angry about the situation that I jumped up in bed and cursed at the world loudly a little bit - bad idea, because now I am even more upped.

So I figured I'd get up and moan a bit about this now, I really feel like it. I'm on a load of valerian and some whisky and my head hurts like a bitch.

Anybody else suffers from insomnia from time to time? What do you do against it?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meditation can help with insomnia.

Also, at the risk of sounding a bit weird, I find that watching videos of people getting massaged has a very powerful relaxing effect on me, it almost feels like being tranquillized. Doesn't matter if it's a male or female massuer/recipient, there's nothing sexual about it. Watching one before I try going to bed can help me get to sleep quickly, this one is a good example.

BTW, I've been told that firing up a web browser when you can't sleep is exactly the wrong thing to do.

It takes me a long time to fall asleep. I'm a deep sleeper and will sleep through almost any kind of noise, the problem is getting there.

A few things I've tried that have helped:

Nature's tranquilizer (wanking; pardon my French)

Hypnosis mp3s/videos on Youtube

Simple and repetitive video games (shmups are good)

Best of luck; I know it's a rough situation.

Here's what I do when I have insomnia, my recipe:

1) take a walk. Walking is really tiresome.

2) then take a hot shower, or a warm one.

3) in bed, do not read anything or turn on TV - it makes you feel "tuned", therefore unrelaxed

4) use earplugs (there are people who feel physically uncomfortable with them, I do not)

5) turn off all lights. BUT, leave a dim light on - it can be anything.

And that's the important part: make your body in a comfortable position, and with ONE EYE semi-open, keep staring at the dim light. Sleep will take over in a few minutes.

PS. The dim light trick is actually a self-hypnosis technique. Why one eye, and not the two? The brain takes this info (staring with one eye) as a state of semi-consciousness, thus it starts resting. If you stare with the two eyes open, then the brain understand this as a state of "attention on".

I learned this in a old-book on hypnosis.

EDIT: forgot to mention that if you close both eyes in step 5, your brain - still active - will shift attention from "visual" to "hearing", to noises. And you will actually pay attention to them, even with earplugs.

you should go talk with your doctor about that.

problems with sleep can be caused by some organic dysfunctions, psychical stress, stimulus overload or a unhealthy livestyle.

on a long time period lack of sleep can cause serious physical and psychical damage to you.

stop the valerian stuff, its not evidance based medicine and as you see it doesnt help you.

better smoke some weed around 4-5h before you want to go to bed or do some sports, get your body exhausted.

otherwise you can try benzodiazepines. but you will need a prescription for that.

depending on which problems you have, like falling aspleep try Brotizolam or Triazolam. these ones take hold on for a shorter time, help falling asleep and dont knock you out that hard.

if you can't sleep the night through and wake up often try Nitrazepam, its effect keeps for more hours, but you may have trouble waking up and will be sleepy all day. the dose should be calculated by your doctor as benzos are addicting and wrong doses can lead to accumulations and hangovers.

as for other medicine you can try Zolpidem, Zaleplon, Zopiclon, Indiplon, Ramelteon

these seem to be promising as there are less hangovers and side effect. but that are newer medications with less clinical experience on them.

nontheless all these are drugs which on a long term usage are toxic are addicting and have side effect.

use it for a short period only and only consulting your doctor.

they "cure" the problem with the sleep, but not the problem which causes it!!

Thanks for the tips guys...

In the end, it was a bit more than three hours of sleep last night <_<

I know that firing up a web browser was not a very good thing to do ... but what to do when there's a thunderstorm outside? I didn't wanna watch TV, that would be even more exhausting for the eyes...

The one eye open trick is worth trying ... I do have the problem that I am very noise sensitive when I have both eyes closed - it already happened that bird twittering or TV running in neighbours flat kept me awake because of this. The only problem is that I don't have a dim light. A candle would do, but I don't wanna sleep with anything open fire stuff, plus I don't like breathing paraffinum. I'm going to organize me such a sleep light thing I guess...

Thanks for the sleeping medication tips ... I read up on them yesterday night myself. I do love benzos a big lot because they cure my anxieties ... but that's why I don't wanna take them when it's not absolutely necessary, because otherwise I could probably get addicted...

But if any benzo, I'd go for Oxazepam (when weak one's needed) or Xanax (if strong one's needed). These go well.

I'd rather prefer trying these Z-medications though because they are new. Will try to talk with my doctor about this when it doesn't get better.

This night I'll try Diphenhydramine (harmless antihistamine). Sometimes this worked ... although not always.

Ambient music used to work well, but meanwhile I learned that it doesn't help with certain types of my insomnia. Ambient is good when you are already tired. But when you are not tired (which I wasn't), it's no help.

That is the interesting thing: I actually wasn't very tired. Actually I felt like I could do sports last night. Even the day today was not that bad as expected ... I only let fall down a (full) salad bowl, not more - normally I'm far clumsier and also forget things at work, this time there was nothing.

Now it's getting sleep time...

Hooray, I got enough sleep last night! A little less than six hours it was ... fair enough compared to before.

The odd thing is that I felt more tired today than ever before...

Excercise is good, yes. I persuaded myself for a run this evening, we'll see if it works. I used up the valerian and the alk-free beer, this is not that good (I always used them to lull me to tiredness). But I'll drop some chemistry if sleep doesn't come.

About the Seroquel ... this stuff (Quetiapin) seems to be a medication against schizophrenia, manic depression and psychotic episodes. I better won't try it or I won't have anything that helps me if I really get one of those one day. Plus my doc is cool, but I bet he won't prescribe me that. And the nurse I know that works in the psychiatric ward said it's a no-go to ask her for meds. So this stuff is not available anyway.

I think I better go with benzos or with Z-meds (Zopiclon & co.)...

And off to sleep...

About the Seroquel ... this stuff (Quetiapin) seems to be a medication against schizophrenia, manic depression and psychotic episodes

Read more carefully. It's prescribed for these illness in dosages >= 400mg. In low dosages it has other used too. And I insist that in 50-100 mg doses it's much better and safer than benzos.Trust me.

My 2 cents ;)

You could also try something even "safer" ,although 'lighter', melatonin tablets : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadin#Use_as_medication

I've been doing a bunch of research based on a panic attack I had earlier in the week (caused ultimately by hypoglycemia, which in turn was caused by other things), and have discovered an enormous amount of information related to diet that affects all levels of one's existence, including sleep issues. There's never a simple answer, and the knowledge is like an onion with layer after layer after layer...

Anyway, perhaps this might be useful: Link

Good luck. I know how horrible it can be.

Hi guys ... it has bettered :)

Maybe also because I wasn't much checking the internets till late night these days. And also because I drank some Whisky sometimes.

I sleep about 6 hours these days again. Hope it will stay like that ... which I don't know. In some weeks, I'll go on holiday and will have to fly and I have flight anxiety :P ... hehe...

But thanks to Otto for a tremendously interesting link.

I remember I once took a zinc supply (because it was contained in a vitamin c suppl I used against cold) and I felt really good while on it. I dismissed it as merely being a placebo effect, but this article now helped me to explain why the sensation was not purely placebo ... and also various other things. Very interesting, not only for people who have insomnia or depressions...

An interesting program that I download a few months ago might help a bit as well: http://stereopsis.com/flux/

It adjusts the 'warmth' of your monitor according to the time, which makes it less bright when it's dark outside. It's free and easy and you're used to it very frequently. Might just help the slightest bit. :)

Hey, this is a cool application ... really cool.

I already was sometimes thinking my screen is too bright. But I'm too lazy to turn down the brightness because I will have to turn it up again when I work under the day.

This is really cool now because I don't need to care about resetting the brightness all the time.

I installed it and it immediately changed the color. Very much more comfortable to look at now :)

thanks a lot for the recommendation ... this is something that really can only be good for my body.

An interesting program that I download a few months ago might help a bit as well: http://stereopsis.com/flux/

It adjusts the 'warmth' of your monitor according to the time, which makes it less bright when it's dark outside. It's free and easy and you're used to it very frequently. Might just help the slightest bit. :)

For the first minute it seemed weird but I got used to it pretty fast. Very relaxing!

indeed ... I am using it continuously now and right now I feel much more relaxed and tired than I do normally at this time

I feel like I'll even postpone the shower to tomorrow morning and go straight to bed now...

• 3 weeks later...

I did not read the entire topic.

But what helps for me...

1. A sleeping ritual. Like reading or watching the same series or book every night. Get your brain conditioned that it knows it's bed time.

2. No sports 2 hours before you go to bed.

3. No sugar, caffeine etc... depending on how sensitive you are...

and keep your mind clear, don't get overexcited positive or negative thoughts included !

and keep your mind clear, don't get overexcited positive or negative thoughts included !

and just that is what's not possible :(

I'm almost always overexcited...

and just that is what's not possible :(

I'm almost always overexcited...

I used to have the same problem, PM me!

I get that, try to create an 'evening' for bedtime' ritual!

Like me, I always watch an episode of friends before I go to bed,

get it conditioned so that you're brains get the alert, watching or reading this means = sleep!

that helps...

And try mindfulness Posted Image , Moderating your thoughts is a must....

Lot's of success, it's pure training but it does not work after one time,

the more you repeat, the more it works, don't give up!

This is pure cognitive therapy and it helps, train your brain/thoughts and you shall be free Posted Image

Keep repeating to yourself, 'don't get overexcited!, don't get overexcited!, don't get overexcited!, don't get overexcited!, ...

and try to create a positive thought that fades away the negative one...

Instead of saying , don't get overexcited!, sometimes switch to I'm calm and I want to sleep!

This little voice in your head never stops speaking, and decides a lot...

Stopping it, is impossible but directing it in a good direction is possible...

You are probably high sensitive just like I am. Go for it!

If you still have problem, feel free to PM

I know, It sounds a bit over the top, but it helps imo...

I used to be gigantic insomniac years ago, 3 hours a night at max, for years, got heavy meds for it that completely solved the issue, but also completely sucked all the energy out of me, turning me into a lifeless zombie that sleeps 14 hours a day and gets tired ass hell after only hitting the shower or taking a walk to the nearest bus stop, unable to work, unable to do anything, even unable to listen to music, completely handicapped. So if you ask me what I'd rather have, it'll be the sleepless nights and the bursts of energy and overexcitement that goes with it, at least at that moment I actually felt alive, so that makes me wonder why people actually complain about the fact that you're sleeping a couple of hours less per night than you usually do. I mean at least you are not dead or completely immobile, you can still enjoy the things that you can before, only in a slightly less matter. 90% of the world population has insomnia, maybe I'm chatting complete bull for some people, maybe I have a weird vision of it, maybe I'm completely missing the clue, maybe I'm being totally rude and respectless, but if you can't resolve the lack of sleeping hours, why not focus on something else like finding ways to give yourself enough energy and happiness while you're awake and try to adapt your live to your insomnia instead of adapting your insomnia to your life. If you can't beat it, why fight it?