Korzybski General Semantics...

It is a book that Robert Anton Wilson, McKenna, Timothy Leary and Alan Watts all recommend people should read to various degrees,

and in most of their cases forms one of the pillars of their, in some ways "our" psychedelic philosophy.

It seems a lot scarier and intellectual than it is, and I think that is one way it is "hidden", as though it is unaccessible, but

to only the most educated minds. Our Culture tends to do that with information it wants to suppress it seems.

Anyway I was wondering whether anyone else had read it, and what they thought of it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I have not read it, but I know of it. I may have read bits of it on Wikipedia. I can' stop reading about that stuff: philosophy, logic, semantics, statistics, material physics, theoretical physics, law, etc. One thing I know, I have learned much more about the real world outside of school. The subject matter is for us to learn in order to self-teach. Teaching myself instead of some professor means that I get to pick the material, the due date, when and where, and most importantly, I get to choose if I want to finish or not.

Most of academia is unknown because it is not used in the real world, unless absolutely necessary. Take ethics, for example. I don't even know if it would be taught unless you were getting a businees degree. Business Ethics is the glue that holds capitalism, free markets, competition , free trade, etc. together. Exactly, ethics is the idea that makes these other ideas work and just like these other ideas. It doesn't exist. There is no free trade, free markets, capitalism, competition. Only what society holds up to block your view of this bullshit. Ethics is a code of conduct that people abide by when doing business. A code of conduct based on fairness, and equality, in theory, awesome, but reality, all bullshit.

Guess what? Semantics studies the way we use language to warp the way people see the the world. Meaning that semantics is very important. Not syntax, semantics. For example, many people talk about the "glass" and the quantity of whatever. The way we view that glass is supposed to measure optimism and pessimism. Bullshit. It's semantics. The amount of whatever in the "glass" has nothing to do with our view of life. It is the words we use in the situation. Like associating empty with pessimism or full with optimism. It's really great to use semantics.

I don't know for sure, but if you don't get many replies don't worry, that means what it means. The question is the same place as the answer. Have fun. The mind is still the most powerful resource in the universe.

DJmxf

I have a copy of it! It's really old, but in pretty good condition. It's from the second printing in 1941 I think. Found it a used bookstore for $20. I haven't read it though, mainly because I don't want to ruin the pages, which are rather brittle and thin now, with age. :D

I have, however, read most everything of RAW's, who, as you know, talks about it frequently.

*Edit - Actually, I have Korzybski's Science and Sanity...