1. One Day I Wish to Have this Kind of Time 8:33

2. Adrift in Hilbert Space 8:10

3. Owl Stretching Time 7:41

4. Squirrel and Biscuits 6:02

5. A Nice Little Place 7:13

6. Mouse Eating Cheese 7:38

7. The Aubergine of the Sun 10:09

Review originally published on isratrance.com

The psychedelic space dub architect from the UK is back with another mind boosting voyage that can be experienced fully and deeply when sitting comfortably on your listening couch at home, but can also work very well on the dance floor. Mir is based on the usual Ott recipe that we all love and that always provides much pleasure to the mind and soul with stunning production and strong adventurous nature, but infused with new punchy flavours. Ott once again managed to freshen things up with forward-thinking witty ideas and strange twists, while maintaining his unique signature sound and style alive and kicking, just as he managed to do before with his previous fantastic album Skylon. Mir is a lovely sonic dish packed with warm vibrating bubbling fluid basslines, lush swirling synth textures, rich energetic beatwork, and all kinds of quirky sounds and manipulations. All is occasionally seasoned with dreamy guitar streams, ethereally processed vocals, a clever glitchy touch and colorful ethnic scents.

Ott - Adrift In Hilbert Space

Before Skylon Ott released two albums. First it was the marvelous Hallucinogen In Dub album where he remixed some of Simon Posford's best trance work, then it was the groovy Blumenkraft, which now can definitely be called timeless, and now it is the dubby and funky mystical realms of Ott's latest creation Mir that give us more joy and good vibes. HID, Blumenkraft, Skylon and also HID Live from Brixton (which contains an electrifying live performance by Ott, Posford and friends) carry the prestigious Twisted Records brand name on them and they are very much deserve to. Besides continuing the beautiful Twisted Records tradition of releasing innovative high quality electronic music, those albums also brought a new glow of creativity to the label. This time Ott decided to release his new album by himself, going in a spirit of experimentation and curiosity as he says. For those of you who worry, don't. Releasing by himself did not cause any loss of quality or glow.

Ott - A Nice Little Place

Sassy, uplifting and addictive, Mir truly shines from start to finish. With some help from Naked Nick (guitar and vocals on Adrift in Hilbert Space and on The Aubergine of the Sun, and co-writing and performing on A Nice Little Place) and Chris Barker (bass and guitar on The Aubergine of the Sun), Ott created another eternal magical path that can lead its listeners to wherever their minds and souls choose to be led to. Ott's music is the kind of which really lets the imagination go wild and be free, free as a child running happy through an endless green wheat field on a summer day while little colorful smiling creatures are flying all around, leaving luminous powdery trails behind them. The album is available digitally and on CD directly from Ott's bandcamp page. The CD comes in a nice digipak with wonderful and original artwork by Daniel Philosoph from Israel.

Recommendation: You can really feel the love that was put into this music. A slinky fusion of styles and influences. A must have.

Available at:

http://ottsonic.bandcamp.com/

http://www.psyshop.c.../ott1cd001.html

Enjoy :)

Wow... I realy wasn't sure if I should except too much from this album after my dissapoitment from hallucinogen in dub, but this release is a blast!!!

Im realy sattisfied finally i can feel music except from dear simon...

Great release, no doubt this is a must have.

Lyrics to the first half of the first track:

“Don’t let yourself or your ears be offended by improper or unscheduled sounds. If for example the record is scratching, ok! You wouldn’t object to it if you were listening to it sitting by a fire, crackling... Simply close your eyes and allow your ears to hear all sounds around you. Don’t try to label or identify these sounds, just hear them as you would listen to music. As when you hear a flute or guitar, don’t worry about what it means, your brain will take care of that by itself. Just let your eardrums respond as they will to all vibrations .now. that we have.”

Strong words ;)

I quite liked this, the problem is though that it was released only digitally at first and there was no way I would pay for a digital download so.....I stole it off of the interwebz, it is a good album and it is probably good enough to but a physical copy of but for some reason, probably the fact that I already have a digital copy, I am not willing to buy it.

Artists, if you are going to release an album digitally and physically, release it physically first. The opposite way round is beyond moronic business-wise.

As I said good stuff all round here but not good enough to make one want to buy it when they already have it digitally.

Sorry for stealing it but I will never pay for downloaded music. Put it on CDR and you can have an inexpensive physical format that will still appeal to most CD-philes.

Guest antic

Put it on CDR and you can have an inexpensive physical format that will still appeal to most CD-philes.

Actually, first batch (100 pieces) was released as CDR, because Ott screwed up and delayed the whole process of properly printing it (link). People - me included - already starting making orders for physical copy, so they had to deliver something ASAP :)

Also, I don't get it why you had to steal it? It was (still is) available to listen in full length and OK quality at ottsonic.bandcamp.com for free.

• 2 months later...

Ott - Mir

Ottsonic, 2011

Posted Image

1. One Day I Wish To Have This Kind Of Time

2. Adrift In Hilbert Space

3. Owl Stretching Time

4. Squirrel And Biscuits

5. A Nice Little Place

6. Mouse Eating Cheese

7. The Aubergine Of The Sun

Ladies and gentlemen - here's "Mir". The leading chillosaur of Twisted Records took a break from the twisted gang, which fell into the indie-band craze via the Younger Brother band, and decided to seek new paths on his sonic journey. The result is an album which appeared first in the Internet's realm thanks to the Bandcamp platform and only then in physical form as a CD. Everything was accomplished without the need for any label and with full control of the artist himself. And though the artist chose an experimental way of releasing this album, in terms of its content expect the familiar, trusty style a'la Ott, although it should be noted that this time the musician decided to add a few innovations to the menu which do not spoil the overall reception of the album and enhance its value in the ears of the listener.

We begin with "One Day I Wish To Have This Kind Of Time," where we are accompanied by Alan Watts' voice and make contact with Ott's familiar musical territories. It has a nice mood, it is reflective and slightly melancholic, yet fun and psychedelic. Once again the artist allows himself to go with the flow and takes a relaxed approach towards the process of creating music, which results in his frivolous, light and generously bathed in sunshine style known from the first album "Blumenkraft", surrounding us from every side. The style is especially continued in the tracks entitled "A Nice Little Place" and "Mouse Eating Cheese". While "Skylon", the previous record by Ott, might seem a little bland, here the creator fully rehabilitated himself with a strong material; music that does not copy his earlier productions, borrowing only the best things from the musician's style, and building something new, interesting, adding new elements to Ott's world, such as glitch and dubstep, which were not previously a part of his earlier albums. Fans of these will be in heaven, while those who do not listen to such music on a daily basis will have no reasons to complain, because everything was done in an intelligent way. One can feel them very clearly in several tracks ("Adrift In Hilbert Space," "Owl Stretching Time" and "Squirrel And Biscuits") and it has to be added that they mix in a relatively non-invasive way with the sound represented by Ott. The fact that it is very easy to get addicted to his sound is known by anyone who has tasted this album. Needless to say, a replay of its content is a mandatory thing in this case.

Ott earned himself a good brand a long time ago and has proved this once again with this highly likeable album. It is evident that we will not come in contact with any mediocre tracks here. "Mir" is a good choice in terms of lighter music, especially on a lazy, sunny day. I keep my fingers crossed that the next album will be as successful, the least imitative and the most creative. In conclusion, let me quote a phrase by my buddy: it makes you go out to a meadow and catch fistfuls of the sun.

Templar / http://www.psytrance.pl

Links:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ott/ott1cd001.html

• 1 month later...

In my opinion this is a strong solid album, one of the best downtempo release of the year, come on, the fact there are different vibes from dubstep to almost reggae is to be praised as a very interesting way of using different musical genres into one big psychedelic Calderon. The use of weird voices also creates an interesting pattern into one of the track (can't remember the name). Still, I liked the most his debut album which was a masterpiece, but this one is pretty cool and found myself listening to if over and over again. I give this album a solid 8/10

• 1 month later...

In my opinion this is a strong solid album, one of the best downtempo release of the year, come on, the fact there are different vibes from dubstep to almost reggae is to be praised as a very interesting way of using different musical genres into one big psychedelic Calderon. The use of weird voices also creates an interesting pattern into one of the track (can't remember the name). Still, I liked the most his debut album which was a masterpiece, but this one is pretty cool and found myself listening to if over and over again. I give this album a solid 8/10

+1

Very accessible, laid back and FUN! I love it = but i love anything the dude makes!! fantastic MUSIC.

• 1 month later...

If I see any message in this album, it's elaborate pointlessness. It all says "I'm such a good musician that I don't need to bother with maintaining style, melody or thinking about names forthe songs."

I think that music is a language of emotion. In this case, this is a series of very skillfully and artistically played senseless phrases and sentences. People say that Satchmo could just stand and sing names from a Yellow pages book and it would still sound wonderful. Well, this is what the album is about.

There aren't (m)any mindblowing melodies. It's more like film soundtrack or elevator music, without any captivating musical themes that would compete with your attention. If you search for the beautiful melancholy of the first or even second Ott's album, search elsewhere. Here it's all about feely-goody major keys and no musical message to remember. The sound just comes out of nowhere, has nothing to say and fizzles out into nowhere. Elaborately, with top quality and style, of course. Which is just what you want if you're chilling out and having a good time.

Can you enjoy this album? Definitely, it's a well-made album. It's just a question of what you want from music. This is not Ott as we know him. This is what many artists do, they try a new style every several years and shed their old fans like a snake skin.

• 2 weeks later...

I had got this album when it first came out. Had not listened to it since then. I was thinking I won't like it after such amazing previous albums, would be hard to keep up with them and if it is similar might be boring. Also as could be listened for free on bandcamp had less pull towards it.

And now finally I thought its the right time and put it on and its a blast. Great album, very different and lovable.

Best played loud in an open space. I play them at markets where the whole market can hear it.