Labels that release Goa

Time_Trap

I suspect a lot of old school producers developed a distinctive sound almost by accident, possibly as a result of the limitations of the equipment available to them at the time. I don't have a source for this, but I remember it being said that MWNN was notorious for never changing the presets on his synths - and Transwave went to great lengths to imitate the MWNN sound. Hallucinogen's LSD represents Simon's attempt to write mainstream trance - and it failed brilliantly. Similar stories could probably be related for many of the old-timers. I think a lot of the music we love resulted from an inept imitation of something else entirely.

I used 10 years in various studios before I released anything. So no not all of us got our sound by accident or copied other artists ;)

And not all stories should be taken for anything but what they are - rumors.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, so you had time to develop your sound in private. Some people today are doing so in public. Not everyone will make it... I think it is an acknowledged fact that equipment costs selected for more serious musicians back in the day. With the democratization of the tools of production anyone can try their hand at being a musician, for better or worse. As with any change there are both good and bad things about it. In this respect I try to focus on the good side... after all, some really great music is coming out of the new breed of musicians in this scene. Or, at least, a lot of music that I happen to like :)

Really? From what I understood, you don't take critisism as finely as you think you do. I wonder your reaction to a real negative review to one of your works.

Good to me, a harsh reviewer, that I can't remember listening to a single track of yours.

Ok again, I WASN'T TALKING AS A PRODUCER! :P i just was saying what my thoughts are about music in general :) so feel free to comment on my work :) harsh, constructive, good, none-cunstructive, doesn't matter.. i will see what i will do with it :) As long as I enjoy what i'm doing, there is no problem at all.

Man it seems to be hard to get yourself understood when not having a discussion with someone in person :P

Ok again, I WASN'T TALKING AS A PRODUCER! :P i just was saying what my thoughts are about music in general :) so feel free to comment on my work :) harsh, constructive, good, none-cunstructive, doesn't matter.. i will see what i will do with it :) As long as I enjoy what i'm doing, there is no problem at all.

Man it seems to be hard to get yourself understood when not having a discussion with someone in person :P

No, it's nor hard. What I really think it's hard to understand is when someone says "opinions on art" should be somehow measured, regulated, controlled to express only good things, or things that are taken as positive. To me, it's close to be ultra-leftist in the cyber world. This is what exactly the likes of Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro do to their people: dare you express something which is not nice, it may cost your life in those lands.

No, it's nor hard. What I really think it's hard to understand is when someone says "opinions on art" should be somehow measured, regulated, controlled to express only good things, or things that are taken as positive. To me, it's close to be ultra-leftist in the cyber world. This is what exactly the likes of Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro do to their people: dare you express something which is not nice, it may cost your life in those lands.

Sigh.. I didn't say any of those things :) Again, my point is: as an artist you shouldn't let critisism decide what you make or how you make it, because the main point of making music is enjoying yourself and not only pleasing others. So i'm totaly NOT saying people shouldn't criticise, criticise all you want :) But you should always have in the back of your mind that opinions about art are extremely subjective. And I for instance try to be respectfull about art even if i don't like it, because 1) the artist put his heart and soul in his work (I know, you can't always now this but i give artists the benefit of doubt), and 2) it makes other people happy, so it totally succeeded it's goal as art. That's why I will never say someone has 'a bad taste in music' (or any other art), because for me there is no such thing.

But you are totally right, everybody should be free to express his or her opinion, no matter what. ;) But i prefer thinking my criticism through, because art is no exact science, it's not black/white, there is no good or bad.

Copying is an integral part of art. Nothing is truly original. Read this piece by one of my favourite filmmakers:

http://markmalazarte.com/jarmusch/

The above quotation is sourced from rule #5:

http://www.moviemaker.com/directing/article/jim_jarmusch_2972/

I suspect a lot of old school producers developed a distinctive sound almost by accident, possibly as a result of the limitations of the equipment available to them at the time. I don't have a source for this, but I remember it being said that MWNN was notorious for never changing the presets on his synths - and Transwave went to great lengths to imitate the MWNN sound. Hallucinogen's LSD represents Simon's attempt to write mainstream trance - and it failed brilliantly. Similar stories could probably be related for many of the old-timers. I think a lot of the music we love resulted from an inept imitation of something else entirely.

As for the new school guys, give 'em a break. Many are fairly new to writing music. (Think about how long Youth was involved in music before turning to trance!) What you may notice is that many new school artists begin by imitating some aspect of the old school sound... but the few artists we can describe as veterans of the movement have, by and large, moved on. Filteria is probably the best example of this: his early work is fairly derivative but his most recent productions are all Filteria as far as I'm concerned. He found his voice, influenced by his experiences of the past, and now writes music that exceeds a certain threshold of distinctiveness that would have some of us describe his work as "original" by now. Ra is another good example of a new school producer that has been at it for some time. So maybe we just need to be patient if we are searching for "originality", whatever that might be. Or we could recognize that NSG is a nostalgic movement by definition, and originality should not be the most overarching criteria by which we decide whether something is good or not.

Well said!

• 10 months later...

So a friend made this track, and I am asking whether it could be released in some label that releases goa compilations (maybe Ektoplasm or some other label?) Here is the link for the track:

Lethe River - Aiwass

Acid Chemical Plant Records | ACPRECORP , The Science Team.

http://acprecords.bandcamp.com/indexpage