Labels that release Goa

Time_Trap

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no problem here...

Ok i downloaded with IE now.

Hmm tracks seems interesting but i think need some changing.

Tell to friend if he would like on UAF records to write me and we will see what we can do for summer :)

Ok i downloaded with IE now.

Hmm tracks seems interesting but i think need some changing.

Tell to friend if he would like on UAF records to write me and we will see what we can do for summer :)

He has MSN too, I am giving him the MSN u have on your profile , OK?

@ Sideffect, what do u think of it ?

First impression

This is pretty good.

The baseline is not to 'hard', more doof, like Goatrance used to be...

It has that basic infinite never ending "Fill Your Head With Phantasm (not all of them)" pattern...

It's 'one' giant loop, because it never gets "to much", you can easily put think track on repeat...

It still needs some work, but the direction is very floating.

It's very gallant trance. The end climax reminds me a bit of future prophecy's (and others) earlier work...

It's a bit vague, but it's already late Posted Image

I'll better give an example... Like this, a great track btw!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRJzY5oAy1s

I think the overall structure, melodies and such are good, if nothing new, but the mix focuses on the leads too much. I think it would be better with the leads a bit lower and some more random psychedelic sounds or effects up a bit more. I know this isn't your song, but I'm giving the advice anyway.

I wasn't going to post here initially, but after things like on the image below happened, I've gotten totally motivated for the post.. :)

Posted Image

I opened this thread JUST after listening to Alfalfa track from exactly Fill Your Head With Phantasm compilation which was precending in it's turn Doof's album..

No Future Prophecy here.. but well, that's for the future :)

Every time I listen to Alfalfa track I am getting additionally fascinated and inspired. It is on the very few special tracks, one of the most emotional ones. Maybe even over emotional..

And as for the discussion track, I've listened to it yesterday and I liked it very very much! I don't find any references though to either Doof or FYWP compilation.. It has more drive as for me, something like Nova Fractal :) It gives a decent feeling, well, strongly built. The absense of many 'random psychedelic sounds' is also a HUGE plus.

But.. the all these lyrics and the whole thing about (black ?) magic ruins the whole thing for me and does not make even want to listen to it again..

An OK tune. But not more IMO. But seriously my only "problem" is he (as other new school artists) try too hard to sound like something already been done many times in the past. Like Etnica (The sequenced melodies), MFG (The lead melody) etc.

I still miss artists in this new "wave" that seek their own sound, dare to experiment and have patience instead of wanting to get released the minute they found a sound that remind them of old days.

I also think the labels jump way too fast when they hear a tune. I know there aren't many artists and it's tempting to release a tune you might not release if you had better material to release. But ask yourself if you are doing yourself and the artists a favor by releasing their music before they are ready?

Now this is my personal opinion and I know some disagree. I do not try to tell you what to do. That is up to you alone. But it's my honest opinion and it's coming straight from the heart as I would love to see a new Goa scene flourish. But not a scene repeating old times sounding half as good.

^ Elysium this friend of mine doesn't even listen to lots of psy/goa, he is rather new to the scene.

To be honest I found it quite a success that with so little listening experience he managed to recreate the oldskool sound with just Ableton Live and a few VSTs.

^ Elysium this friend of mine doesn't even listen to lots of psy/goa, he is rather new to the scene.

To be honest I found it quite a success that with so little listening experience he managed to recreate the oldskool sound with just Ableton Live and a few VSTs.

That's all fine and it should be fun :) But you ask labels to consider releasing it (friends are usually not very good (objective) judges of friends music) and a label (or 2) already showed interest which I feel is the biggest "problem" here.

As I wrote earlier it's all fine and if someone want to release it of course it's their decision, as if I would be able to tell them not to anyway he he :). But to me seen from my personal taste and opinion this is far from being something i would consider releasing simply because I do not think it's original at all and because it try too hard to copy something else. The sound quality is OK but not impressive. But looking beyond that and concentrating on the music I simply can not hear anything unique or something not done before much better IMO. Bottom line is I can not hear his own sound and style (as well as I think he need more practice in the studio) and as you wrote his aim was to copy the old-school sound.

I think there is new skool goa with their unique sound, e.g merrow

I know it is all about personal taste but I can not hear something unique here that has not been done a 1000 times. It's fast, the bass is nothing special and sound like so many other basslines out there and the lead melody in the first video is a typical "rave" kind of sound with a very familiar melody. The layers are standard "recipe" layers. The melody in the 2nd video is nice but again nothing special IMO. Please point me to where the "unique" is found? I am not trying to bitch or to tell anyone they are wrong and I do not say it's bad music. It's better than much I have heard. And I know taste is taste. I just simply can not hear what you hear. Especially not when it comes to being "unique".

Bottom line is that it's hard to tell some artists apart these days. They do not have that extra something or unique sound that set them apart. Before you knew you were listening to Transwave, Etnica etc. etc. When I listen to many of today's new artists I can not tell them apart or even worse (IMO) they sound too much like the old artists.

Well yes , if someone makes something unique or that differs , it won't be Goa anymore.It will be experimental psytrance or something ( check Ozmali - Forest Fusion for example. There you can spot some innovation, but I would bet that's not your cup of tea either). But anyhow, I can tell apart a Merr0w track from a Filteria or Lost Buddha track. I can't disagree though ,you are right that in the past artists *generally* sounded more different but still they shared lots of similarities too.

I know it is all about personal taste but I can not hear something unique here that has not been done a 1000 times. It's fast, the bass is nothing special and sound like so many other basslines out there and the lead melody in the first video is a typical "rave" kind of sound with a very familiar melody. The layers are standard "recipe" layers. The melody in the 2nd video is nice but again nothing special IMO. Please point me to where the "unique" is found? I am not trying to bitch or to tell anyone they are wrong and I do not say it's bad music. It's better than much I have heard. And I know taste is taste. I just simply can not hear what you hear. Especially not when it comes to being "unique".

Bottom line is that it's hard to tell some artists apart these days. They do not have that extra something or unique sound that set them apart. Before you knew you were listening to Transwave, Etnica etc. etc. When I listen to many of today's new artists I can not tell them apart or even worse (IMO) they sound too much like the old artists.

Ah yes, you can't tell them apart. It's the same crap with people who don't listen to goa, or any genre that is, at all, whether it's new or old "it all sounds the same". It's all about how much time you spend with the music and in your case I wouldn't think that's much at all when it comes to new goa. I spend a lot of time with new goatrance, so I recognize artist from each others. This is a stupid argument.

Ah yes, you can't tell them apart. It's the same crap with people who don't listen to goa, or any genre that is, at all, whether it's new or old "it all sounds the same". It's all about how much time you spend with the music and in your case I wouldn't think that's much at all when it comes to new goa. I spend a lot of time with new goatrance, so I recognize artist from each others. This is a stupid argument.

It's stupid to get personal upset because someone does not see eye to eye with you. Take a chill pill :)

Well yes , if someone makes something unique or that differs , it won't be Goa anymore.It will be experimental psytrance or something ( check Ozmali - Forest Fusion for example. There you can spot some innovation, but I would bet that's not your cup of tea either). But anyhow, I can tell apart a Merr0w track from a Filteria or Lost Buddha track. I can't disagree though ,you are right that in the past artists *generally* sounded more different but still they shared lots of similarities too.

And Elysium, to take it further: Do you think it's possible to create an original bassline that doesn't resemble anything made during a period of around 20 years of goa trance, AND the track still remaining goa trance? You might make innovative basslines in suomi or darkpsy(psykovsky's latest, regardless of whether I like it or not, nothing to do with my point), but if you want to make something sound like goa , vast amounts of originality are impossible or really,really,really hard. I bet that even someone with lots of producing experience like you can't make a goa bassline that doesn't resemble anything made in the past (and of course, as I said, the music still being Goa trance). If you can, let us know.

;)

And Elysium, to take it further: Do you think it's possible to create an original bassline that doesn't resemble anything made during a period of around 20 years of goa trance, AND the track still remaining goa trance? You might make innovative basslines in suomi or darkpsy(psykovsky's latest, regardless of whether I like it or not, nothing to do with my point), but if you want to make something sound like goa , vast amounts of originality are impossible or really,really,really hard. I bet that even someone with lots of producing experience like you can't make a goa bassline that doesn't resemble anything made in the past (and of course, as I said, the music still being Goa trance). If you can, let us know.

;)

Let me say my 2 cents. It's an OK track, perhaps this guy dreams of creating a Goa track. Goal achieved. But asking it to be released, I think he should have made an effort to create something that would make it outstanding, very good. I agree with Elysium that it is just "normal" and if it is released - the way it is - is just to fill in an empty space, not for its own merit.

Yes, Tatsu I think that new bassline and melody patterns can be created. I remember that when house was at its peak, people in the house scene believed that S'Express's bassline in "Them From S'Express" was the outmost boundary that could be reached. And just some years later, Goa made a revolution, and just some couple of years after that X-Dream made another revolution. I think artists should keep trying to create, to be innovative, instead of only get "inspiration" from works already done 10 years earlier. And why should an artist limit himself inside Goa boundaries? He might create a danceable, wonderful bassline pattern and be the benchmark for a subgenre that could be million times better than Goa.

EDIT: it's Theme from S'Express.

I didn't get upset, I explained why the argument was stupid. :huh:

Fair enough. You find my reasons stupid. I find it utterly stupid that some people here get personal offended or let's say "annoyed" if their favorite music or artists are being debated ;)

I do follow what's going on and listen to the music so you assume wrong (very wrong) ;) And I do believe I am competent enough to have an opinion that's not "stupid" or less important than yours because you, a die hard fan, have a hard time dealing with criticism when it come to your favorite music. As I said before in this debate and many others it's nothing personal. I merely speak my mind as others do too and try to be constructive in my criticism (I explain why I feel the music should not be released). No I do not tell people how they should make the music. That would be nonsense and there are no "right or wrong". But I do say what's on my mind regarding the music and where I think some of the artists get it wrong (according to my taste).

So like my criticism or not. It's fine with me. But don't tell me my reasons are stupid just because you don't see eye to eye with my opinion.

I think artists should keep trying to create, to be innovative, instead of only get "inspiration" from works already done 10 years earlier. And why should an artist limit himself inside Goa boundaries? He might create a danceable, wonderful bassline pattern and be the benchmark for a subgenre that could be million times better than Goa.

+ 1000

Well it's seems this debate about producers 'trying to hard to sound oldschool' is going on some time here...

Only thing i can say is, both from a listeners and an artist point of view: let artists friggin' do what they want! Music making should be for the fun of making music, and well, if someone enjoys making music that was already made 10+ years ago, he should make that kind of music. Don't try to push in the direction you want, because music is always better when it is made from the heart.

and frankly, just because you don't like the sound and don't think it's innovative, well that doesn't mean everybody does.

And it seems that people think it is obligatory for artist to experiment, to be innovative and push their own boundaries... Well I can imagine that alot of artists don't think the same way, and just make the sound they now and like because it makes them happy.

Just listen to music you like, and let artist make the music they like :)

For me it is more important that an artist makes music to express him/herself, and makes it from the heart, then wether I like it or not..