Scores in reviews

Penzoline

I'm wondering about this how do you guys feel about scores in reviews? I decided to follow on Cocco's footsteps with american style school grading (F, C, C+, B-,B, B+, A-, A, A+) but I only updated around 6 reviews and I'm not sure whether I should have or not. Do you guys think it gives an additional idea behind the words or not? I've found it a bit problematic because people don't usually review bad releases/things they don't like, so the scores stay relatively high..

I used to give my reviews scores out of 10 but eventually decided it was pointless. The problem is that I mainly review stuff I like for the purpose of encouraging people to buy it, and while I liked some of the things I reviewed more than others I felt inclined to give everything a score of 8.5 or 9 because with anything lower people might just look at the score and decide it must be a mediocre album. So the scores became pretty much meaningless.

Isn't that also a problem with the broken 10-scale? It's been used to death and improperly by everyone. I chose cocco's style because I always believed in it, personally. It felt genuine and honest compared to other scales but then again, it is basically the same scale, except it's not numerical.. Maybe it's a psychological thing :wacko:

The only thing I hate about john's reviews is his scoring system. I would definitely vote against that and I'd be inclined not to have a scoring system at all mainly because most people can't score for shit.

Worst album ever, what has he become? I couldn't even listen to it. 6/10 WTF???? :angry:

Reviews don't need scores, it just distracts from the actual review.

The only thing I hate about john's reviews is his scoring system. I would definitely vote against that and I'd be inclined not to have a scoring system at all mainly because most people can't score for shit.

Worst album ever, what has he become? I couldn't even listen to it. 6/10 WTF???? :angry:

Reviews don't need scores, it just distracts from the actual review.

Tbh I think you're right. I didn't need scores before, why do I need them now? :)

my rating:

10 the call of cthulhu

9 very very good

8 pretty good

7 average/good

6 poor with some gems

5 mediocre/bad

i also add a color for buying, but all of this is personal of course

colors are:

green: must buy

grey: try b4 buy

red: AVOID

Might just be my logistical side, but I like the combination. A score, and a justified reason for it. The worst reviews are obviously the ones that are just a sentence long with a x/10 or a random letter grade, but that doesn't mean a review which is well written is any less meaningful because there is some kind of 'score' attached to it. I'm surprised you get so butt hurt about it, babasio....

I like the idea of a 10 point system used correctly. 5 is average... meaning the release is average for that style. It goes up and down from there. A perfect 10 is reserved for those albums that really are perfect. Back when I was doing a lot of reviews I think I only gave out two perfect 10's... out of something absurd like 500 reviews. Can't remember what they were now though. Anyway, all this letter grading stuff is just a 10 point scale in disguise. Use it and don't be afraid to be brutal... but be consistent.

I don't to it anymore.

I used to do it in the beginning, but stopped giving scores for some time...

The score can be in general, or only in it's sub genre + more... It's imo not representative!

Actually, scores is like the only thing I look at in a review. Especially if the review is made by someone whos taste I'm familiar with. I read the summury at the botton some reviewers write too.

X - Perfect release/track [10-9/10]

X - Very good release/trak [8-7/10]

X - Good release/track [6/10]

X - Average release/track [5/10]

X - Bad release/track [4-3/10]

X - Awful release/track [2-1/10]

I decided to follow on Cocco's footsteps with american style school grading (F, C, C+, B-,B, B+, A-, A, A+)...

The American scale is:

A (Excellent, 9.5+/10)

A-

B+

B (Good) (~8.5/10)

B-

C+

C (Average) (~7.5/10)

C-

D+

D (Below Average) (~6.5/10)

D-

F (Fail) (6.5-/10)

(A+ does not exist (not necessary), and add the Ds.)

I personally prefer the 0-10 system, because it reminds me less of school and can be more precise.

Might just be my logistical side, but I like the combination. A score, and a justified reason for it. The worst reviews are obviously the ones that are just a sentence long with a x/10 or a random letter grade, but that doesn't mean a review which is well written is any less meaningful because there is some kind of 'score' attached to it. I'm surprised you get so butt hurt about it, babasio....

It may not make the words less meaningful but doesn't it distract from them though?

I like the idea of a 10 point system used correctly. 5 is average... meaning the release is average for that style. It goes up and down from there. A perfect 10 is reserved for those albums that really are perfect. Back when I was doing a lot of reviews I think I only gave out two perfect 10's... out of something absurd like 500 reviews. Can't remember what they were now though. Anyway, all this letter grading stuff is just a 10 point scale in disguise. Use it and don't be afraid to be brutal... but be consistent.

Yeah but there's also a problem with the fact people don't really review bad stuff, which leaves 0-5 nonexistent..

The American scale is:

A (Excellent, 9.5+/10)

A-

B+

B (Good) (~8.5/10)

B-

C+

C (Average) (~7.5/10)

C-

D+

D (Below Average) (~6.5/10)

D-

F (Fail) (6.5-/10)

(A+ does not exist (not necessary), and add the Ds.)

I personally prefer the 0-10 system, because it reminds me less of school and can be more precise.

What, that makes no sense, 6.5? It's as stupid as 4-10, but nothing like a new system they gave our schools a few years back with 1-3..

I styled the american grading to my POV which was 0(Crap) 1 2 3 4(Average) 5 6 7(amazing) 8, with 8, or A+, separating mindblowing from the amazing. Only for those that I condemn to the very best that I never get tired of are pretty much perfect.

The 10/10 system is good IMO as long as everyone follows the same logic.

There are two ways to vote in a numerical system.

The first one is what Basilisk said. To use the whole 1-10 scale by 5 being the mediocre.

The second one (and what most ppl use IMO) is when the numbers 1-4 almost never used. And bad albums take 5 or 6.

Tbh I think you're right. I didn't need scores before, why do I need them now? :)

You're a junkie?

my rating:

10 the call of cthulhu

9 very very good

8 pretty good

7 average/good

6 poor with some gems

5 mediocre/bad

IMO this is just crap. if 7 is average and 5 is bad then what the hell is 1,2,3 & 4? It's people that use scales like this that show us that introducing a scoring system will end in a big bag of fail.

I don't mind a score, I really don't with decent reviewers but so many people have fucked up scoring system 6/10 mediocre crap or 12/10 WTF??

As would I if it was consistently used correctly. It wouldn't be though and we'd get some pretty crappy results if we made it that reviewers had to rate their reviews (well I really fucking hated this piece of shit album but I like the guy and appreciate that he is trying something he wants to do so I'll still give it 7/10 despite its crapness)

Actually, scores is like the only thing I look at in a review. Especially if the review is made by someone whos taste I'm familiar with. I read the summury at the botton some reviewers write too.

I would too if I had a tried and trusted reviewer but that still doesn't equate to making reviews needs a score.

The 10/10 system is good IMO as long as everyone follows the same logic.

There are two ways to vote in a numerical system.

The first one is what Basilisk said. To use the whole 1-10 scale by 5 being the mediocre.

The second one (and what most ppl use IMO) is when the numbers 1-4 almost never used. And bad albums take 5 or 6.

I would go for Basilisk's idea if people would ever be able to follow it. However they'd fall into your second take and that's why I reckon this should be ignored.

It would make sense to use it IF there would be negative reviews. But as there hardly are any negative reviews (In a constructive way) I don't see why you need it at all.

+1

I am against scores. You see, IM albums get high scores to this day.

What I really like is the "X people recommend" and "X people don't like it".

So, instead of having a 8.9 points album (is 8.9 good or bad? this is confusing), we could have a

general number of recommendations or "don't buy it" .

• 1 month later...

Hey...

Why not do it with the reviews in a bit of a same way like it's done with boulder / climbing routes?

As people tend to treat things like it's rubbish when the score is below 7 and you have too little possibilities with the remaining 3 points up to 10, why not seperate each "point" once more? Like 7a, 7b, 7c, 7d, 7e, 7f or so? That way you'd know it's a 7, but it's a very good 7 or a very bad one (7.5 is not saying enough sometimes).

Would that be an idea?

i would give the whole scores in a review idea a 7/10 or so.

You mean 7a out of 10 :D

If everyone had the same taste in music, scales would make sense, they would be a shortcut to finding out how a track/album compares with the rest.

Everyone has their own unique taste though so scales are really pointless.

It has taken me years to realize this because I wanted to believe I could get an accurate picture from someone else's review; we all want to save time.

Nowadays, I only look at reviews from people I know have the same taste in the genre of music as I do.