1991 - trance 20 years ago...

Guest nectarios

Guest nectarios

Great music and vibes on the video :)

Got inspired myself to do something like in that clip. Calmer than the usuall Filteria stuff :)

http://soundcloud.com/filteria/filteria-vuuv-91

Hope you like it :)

Take care

Haven't heard a lot of your music, but its definitely the one tune that stands out from what I heard from you. And its does not get boring at all this tune.

There should be an "underground resistance" in psy-trance. "Inject" the "market" with new music that is directly inspired from the good ol' days. At the end of the day it is up to producers and DJs to give to the music lovers and dancers, enough good music to love and dance to.

Peace out.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard a lot of your music, but its definitely the one tune that stands out from what I heard from you. And its does not get boring at all this tune.

There should be an "underground resistance" in psy-trance. "Inject" the "market" with new music that is directly inspired from the good ol' days. At the end of the day it is up to producers and DJs to give to the music lovers and dancers, enough good music to love and dance to.

Peace out.

Been doing it for a long time. It does not work.. They want their bpm fix ;)

Really cool! Like a deleted scene from Mad Max. :D

Indeed!

And that track in the end is mesmerising. Nice find! :)

And yes, I know that I'm putting my teeth into that trollbait that's dangling in front everyone's faces, but I'll say it anyway:

Elysium, you are no fun at all.

Really.

No fun.

At all.

Indeed!

And that track in the end is mesmerising. Nice find! :)

And yes, I know that I'm putting my teeth into that trollbait that's dangling in front everyone's faces, but I'll say it anyway:

Elysium, you are no fun at all.

Really.

No fun.

At all.

Posted Image

Been doing it for a long time. It does not work.. They want their bpm fix ;)

It works great, especially if you're familiar with labels like Tribal Vision or some Iboga stuff (not Iboga-Ticon stuff, more like Iboga-Antix). But many people doesn't find it too much psychedelic and trancey for their taste. And by the way, why in every godamn topic you must post something about your music?

It works great, especially if you're familiar with labels like Tribal Vision or some Iboga stuff (not Iboga-Ticon stuff, more like Iboga-Antix). But many people doesn't find it too much psychedelic and trancey for their taste. And by the way, why in every godamn topic you must post something about your music?

Out comes the Grumpy Squat ;)

Peace out.

Thanx mate :) You might also like: Back to Earth (it's 120BPM and very inspired by EBM music), and also the track Filtertraces (Abstract Dream Remix) which is inspired by 80's music with a progressive touch.

And Penzoline, I will upload more on that soundcloud-account. I just opened it yesterday. Sorry for the shameless selfpromotion :(

About the "underground resistance". I don't think it has anything to do with the low BPM's (X-Dream started pretty slow on all their live-sets I heard and it rocked). And alot of progressive is pretty slow and still works in big festivals. Thing is, the production of this new beat type music is pretty dusty and sounds "old" productionwise compared to today because people mix and work (other technologies) differently. So the question is: how you can make this music sound like it did back then, yet to make it "massive" enough to play it after fullon or progressive etc without people leaving the dancefloor.

But in the end, the truth is that people get used to the sound after a while. If you play the exact same tracklist as on the Vuuv 91, you would empty the floor in the beggining, but after 30 minutes it would work. Maybe we have too many subgenres in the psyscene..

Take care

complaining about people playing 320kbps mp3? I think that's Antaro playing cassetes! No one seems to mind.

People knew how to party 20 years ago, that for sure...I wish there was a party like that I could go to this summer.

Peace out.

tons of parties like this in belgium all summer, even too much so some festivals suffer from small crowds, not fun.

low bpm music is a rarity these days on goa parties' main floors but i could still churn out a more trancy set ranging from 120 to 135 bpm, as could a few other djs here on the belgian scene i'm sure... it would have to be on request or at the deliberate desire of the dj though, i know anoebis plays low bpm goa sometimes in his sets but i a bit different from this trancey stuff here... ah well, you know what they say... if you want something done right...

cassettes still are far better in audio quality than mp3s i'm afraid, i think cassette standard lives up to cd quality but i'm not sure...

why in every godamn topic you must post something about your music?

attention whoring, every artist is forced to do it sometimes. it's not fun but it has to be done...

So the question is: how you can make this music sound like it did back then, yet to make it "massive" enough to play it after fullon or progressive etc without people leaving the dancefloor.

Take care

I think you got it wrong here. It a matter of "who" you play it to. It's all about playing this kind of music to those who really want this kind of music. Not a big commercial crowd you find on the big Festivals ;)

I would not rely on many in today's scene who are into fullon frenzy ever understanding (or bother to understand) this kind of music as their history in this scene mostly contain references to the Israeli faster full-on starting with IM, Astrix and Skazi.

You dont have to make it "massive" enough. This is where things went and still go extremely wrong IMO.

You can make this kind of music in a modern setting and still maintain the sound of the early 90's without getting into overdrive mode when it comes to bass etc.

attention whoring, every artist is forced to do it sometimes. it's not fun but it has to be done...

God damn some people here are really stuck with their faces way up their a**e.

My earlier comment was meant in fun (hence the smiley) and at the same time was a reference to the fact that lower bpm trance (not speaking about progressive here) is not being added to the headline on especially festivals where bpm's under 140 is considered to be "alternative" or even chill-out. And here is it my experience comes to play as I have had quite a times where I was put on the chill-out lineup even though my music is not chill-out. That was my point. And yes we artists speak about our music in a music forum. So does OOOD, Filteria etc. Just as much as I do ;)

Filteria even did some "shameless" self-promoting in this debate (And why not). I don't see anyone castrating him for it ;)

You might also like: Back to Earth

Indeed, how could I forget, Back to earth is a great track. Nice BPM and A good wave at the end!

tons of parties like this in belgium all summer,

true!

Guest nectarios

Thanx mate :) You might also like: Back to Earth (it's 120BPM and very inspired by EBM music), and also the track Filtertraces (Abstract Dream Remix) which is inspired by 80's music with a progressive touch.

Not really into them tracks, its the style of leads and the sounds used for them. I am not into 2+oscillator patches playing high notes in psy-trance, everything sounds cheesy after a point, it was one of the reasons I never got into IM, even in the early days, I always found their music cheesy. It sounds like it went for the "old" sound, but its missing the quirkiness of the old sound... The Abstract Dream remix is the kind of music I am not into at all...the Vuuv tune you made has none of them kind of leads...well the square up arp riff, but it was sparsly used. The main riff and synth sound are proper and there is enough quirkiness going on in the back...anyhow, back on topic

About the "underground resistance". I don't think it has anything to do with the low BPM's (X-Dream started pretty slow on all their live-sets I heard and it rocked). And alot of progressive is pretty slow and still works in big festivals. Thing is, the production of this new beat type music is pretty dusty and sounds "old" productionwise compared to today because people mix and work (other technologies) differently. So the question is: how you can make this music sound like it did back then, yet to make it "massive" enough to play it after fullon or progressive etc without people leaving the dancefloor.

Today's progressive sounds like its trying to be too much like the top selling techno on Beatport. Even the ones that do have a slowed down full-on bassline thing going on, have a sound design that sounds like its trying to click all the boxes of the typical techno track. I am talking about the big names, Perfect Stranger, Ace Ventura, Cptn Hook...etc. Some of their tunes I like, when I put my techno hat on, but even tho the tempo is very relative to the tempo on the Vuuv clip, today's prog has nothing to do with the Overlords sound, for example.

And yes you can make things massive today, use the same style of sounds, just tidy up the "floppyness" and "compress to impress", music that is not crammed will sound a lot more massive than the crammed in full-on mixes. So if one knows what s/he is doing in the studio, they'll be wiping the floor with any full-on act that came before their slot, in terms of "massiveness" that is...

But in the end, the truth is that people get used to the sound after a while. If you play the exact same tracklist as on the Vuuv 91, you would empty the floor in the beggining, but after 30 minutes it would work. Maybe we have too many subgenres in the psyscene..

Take care

I don't think you would clear the floor of any party where people are up for a party. It would have to be extremely "inaccessible" music and the music played 20 years ago in that clip, is very "accessible" as it goes in layers. Its first layer is simple enough for anyone to get their groove on, yet it goes deep in the riffs, raw yet psychedelic sound design and it was trippy.

Peace out.

this is far the best you ever did IMO

After listen more than 5 times I agree too. All your tracks are good, Filteria, but for me they are too fast and overdetailed, hard to concentrate and get into trance state.

This is one fit my taste perfectly.

Back to Earth is slow BPM, but I have listen tracks like this many times before, voov'91 is more original.

Bravo for this good experiment!

Stolen of an isratrance thread;

1st Vuuv.

11mins when Sundown is playing and everyone is stomping, is a brilliant moment.

Its 20 years ago but it feels like some future world I'd like to live in.

The music is diverse, psychedelic, early goa, or just plain techno/trance as quite a few called it back then...anyway the name is not the case, the case is that it was music that was "raw", and had people trippin' their socks off.

Then look at the people dancing, their clothes and dance moves point out to people from random backgrounds, yet they brilliantly stomp the ground in unison.

The deco, location, nothing fancy, but I'd be damned if I didn't think its a crater in Mars, with a few humanoids from the sparse colonies, celebrating the cosmos, or whatever...complaining about people playing 320kbps mp3? I think that's Antaro playing cassetes! No one seems to mind.

People knew how to party 20 years ago, that for sure...I wish there was a party like that I could go to this summer.

Peace out.

umm well to be honest the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that vid was "blimey, 20 years later it hasn't changed much"... I mean, of course the music is different, which is what you'd expect, but the overall concept, the blacklights, the decos, having darker stuff during the night and more melodic stuff in the morning is just the same as today.

PS the track kicking in around 12:00 is Orbital - Omen, one of my absolute fave old trance records of all time YIHAAA!! ;)

umm well to be honest the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that vid was "blimey, 20 years later it hasn't changed much"... I mean, of course the music is different, which is what you'd expect, but the overall concept, the blacklights, the decos, having darker stuff during the night and more melodic stuff in the morning is just the same as today.

PS the track kicking in around 12:00 is Orbital - Omen, one of my absolute fave old trance records of all time YIHAAA!! ;)

Thanks a ton man! I knew someone had to know it, too much of a catchy tune. :)

Exactly!

Nice one!

Damn, there's an Orbital track I had never heard of. Incredible. Now that I'm listening to it again, that female voice on top of the track sounds very much like Orbital indeed. Great track. :)

Thanks a ton man! I knew someone had to know it, too much of a catchy tune. :)

Nice one!

Damn, there's an Orbital track I had never heard of. Incredible. Now that I'm listening to it again, that female voice on top of the track sounds very much like Orbital indeed. Great track. :)

well that's why you guys should read the 1990-1994 reviews section, there are many forgotten gems in there ;)

well that's why you guys should read the 1990-1994 reviews section, there are many forgotten gems in there ;)

Yea, but can you find them, in America, nope - so I don't want to know!

These videos remind me of why I switched to liking electronic music exclusively in the early 90's.

The only stuff I could buy was on Trance Europe Express compilations - pity me for living in USA...

Though anyone know what's the track at the end of the video? Sweet tune.

Yesesss I did not know this Orbital tune....... It sounds very similar to their first album "Green". At first I thought this was a remix or a mix between 2 tunes.

They really rocked, so sad they decide to split up........

Cool party!! If today was 1991, I would really loved to take part of it!!! :wub: