Desktop Picture Thread

Dark_Puppy

@ Dark_Puppy : nice work, I have never seen this... It would be great to have one on my LCD television...

This is now the background (dual screen) of my LCD television

Got it from this site for those who are interested, A good site imo, all HD wallpapers for free...

WallpapersWide.com

I am a wallpaper junkie :D for years I've collected them, created them, photomanipulated them. I change my wallpaper a lot. Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

The link that Penzoline gave from his post ( OR CLICK HERE ) is a dude on DeviantArt who has a superb collection of created fractals. HD size too. I took one of them and made it my Xbox360 wallpaper.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My desktop.

I always wondered about you guys running Linux, is it compatible with all windows software or do you have to dual boot it for that? I knew a guy about 10 years ago who had his set to dual boot Windows and Linux and said he liked them both basically, but one was better than the other for certain things. But that was 10 years ago....

Xp is solid for me, never ran Vista but had to help many friends with their Vista computers and decided Vista sucks.. 7 looks cool and all but I'm not plunking down another $200 for a different OS if I don't have to. Linux on the other hand has always intrigued me, I just never tried learning anything about it.

@Dark Puppy, i have win7 and linux ..i like them both, i use linux for games, i find it much quicker, I like windows for everything else...:)) and i\m glad i found you a new toy to play with...lol

I always wondered about you guys running Linux, is it compatible with all windows software or do you have to dual boot it for that? I knew a guy about 10 years ago who had his set to dual boot Windows and Linux and said he liked them both basically, but one was better than the other for certain things. But that was 10 years ago....

Xp is solid for me, never ran Vista but had to help many friends with their Vista computers and decided Vista sucks.. 7 looks cool and all but I'm not plunking down another $200 for a different OS if I don't have to. Linux on the other hand has always intrigued me, I just never tried learning anything about it.

I've been using Linux as my main desktop for about four years now. There is a program called WINE that basically allows you to run a lot of programs for Windows in Linux (it isn't really an emulator so to speak, it is an actual backwards-engineered kind of Windows). There is a list of compatible programs here: http://appdb.winehq.org/.

I've always dual-booted Windows with it just in case I need to run a program that wont work in wine. The only time I boot in to Windows is for certain games and other things like Reason.

The reason I don't run Windows by itself is because I prefer the customizability of Linux such as the many different desktop environments, the program repositories, open-source software, security, etc...

You can change any aspect of Linux if you wish.

Linux is the kernel of the operating system and there are many distros (distributions) that can be based on companies, individuals and so on who package their own list of software and customized desktop environment to suit their needs or the needs of the people who will use their distros. Most distros are free.

The most popular distros at least as far as I am aware are Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Red Hat, Debian, Arch Linux, and then thousands more.

Here's a list of distros: http://distrowatch.com/

I was overwhelmed with information when I first came across Linux, so if you're interested in it, take it slow and join some forums and ask a lot of questions.

I recommend the ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php

You can run distros like Ubuntu off of USB drives and CD's and DVD's without touching your hard drive if you wish to try it on your hardware (it boots everything into RAM) -- it's known as a LiveCD session.

If everything works you can install from the live environment onto your hard disk and dual boot, triple boot, etc. with your other installed operating systems.

Good luck man. You seem like the type of person who likes to tinker, so I think you'll like Linux.

My advice is to read up as much as possible first on forums and ask questions before you install so you know what you are in for.

I recommend the Ubuntu distribution (which is what I use). I've used literally dozens of other distros in the past, but I always return to Ubuntu.

My desktop.

(edit: higher res pic)

Posted Image

This is nice, a calm, quiet, composed environment to create!

True.

I have always been a 'Windows' user since 3.11. Xp was indeed solid. But I have Windows 7 at the moment. And this one is good.

You need some GPU for full graphics, but it is very stable!

I'm more then satisfied.

W7 turns out to be very good for audio apps. Anything that's not audio I do on an ubuntu machine. I've been using Linux for the past 15 years and I have to say the linux desktop has come a gigantic way in the past few years. Well recommended! If ya wanna try it out, get a 1GB (min) usb stick and http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and try it out on a bootable pendrive.

W7 turns out to be very good for audio apps. Anything that's not audio I do on an ubuntu machine. I've been using Linux for the past 15 years and I have to say the linux desktop has come a gigantic way in the past few years. Well recommended! If ya wanna try it out, get a 1GB (min) usb stick and http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and try it out on a bootable pendrive.

Can't agree more. I'm unix geek (mostly freebsd/sometimes linux) from beginning of times. And what GUI was before and what is now is like quantum leap. But audio apps and audio gear support on linux still is far from top notch, so I prefer MacOsX for that purpose. It's have good balance, giving you power of unix console and very convenient desktop usage abilities.

Yeah I like Windows 7 too. All the things that MS traditionally do badly they have started to do well.

Correct. It's a huge jump forward.

The difference between Mac quality is close. Depending on the features of your desktop off course...

But If you buy an Intel® Core™ i7 Processor, a proper sound and graphic card. With a 27inch screen,

It feels like running a Mac for maybe paying +/- 1300 euro's...

That's probably less then Mac (Not that I don't like Mac)

Correct. It's a huge jump forward.

The difference between Mac quality is close. Depending on the features of your desktop off course...

But If you buy an Intel® Core™ i7 Processor, a proper sound and graphic card. With a 27inch screen,

It feels like running a Mac for maybe paying +/- 1300 euro's...

That's probably less then Mac (Not that I don't like Mac)

It's fairly enough. I don't like price politics of apple and company focusing only on mobile fancy devices now. I really hope linux audio production support will be better asap.

So when time will come, I will have choice to switch to Lin or Win8 :D

This is nice, a calm, quiet, composed environment to create!

Thank you. I get a lot of my wallpapers from this site: http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/any/

There's a lot of great stuff there, and its updated daily.

Right now I'm dual-booting Linux with Windows 7. I've been using Windows since DOS and 3.1 as a child, and I have to say Windows 7 is definitely the best so far.

I mostly use it for tinkering with music production software like Reason and gaming.

Otherwise I use linux 99% of the time I'm on my desktop.

I got this as a background right now ... cut it off and stretched it though so that it fits the screen nicely:

Posted Image

I've seen some Linux discussions here. So I've post my current desktop picture, which is just default one supplied with my Linux system. "Occidendtally" it is also on a space theme.. like that russian table game ;)

Posted Image

In Linux (Debian) you are in the Sky by default :)

Good luck man. You seem like the type of person who likes to tinker, so I think you'll like Linux.

My advice is to read up as much as possible first on forums and ask questions before you install so you know what you are in for.

I recommend the Ubuntu distribution (which is what I use). I've used literally dozens of other distros in the past, but I always return to Ubuntu.

thanks man .. that's a wealth of information! B)

I'll have to dive into that world on my next two days off.

@Dark Puppy, i have win7 and linux ..i like them both, i use linux for games, i find it much quicker, I like windows for everything else...:)) and i\m glad i found you a new toy to play with...lol

BumpTop is gonna drive me nuts with trying to find the best look for my environment. Almost feels like building houses with the Sims! lol

thinking about making a wood floor, normal walls with doors and windows, maybe some 3-d furniture on the floor.. :lol:

more fun wiith BumpTop!

front wall

Posted Image

Top View (normal desktop view) (no furniture added yet) :lol:

Posted Image

and a view at the left wall (some back wall view).. not sure what to do with the walls yet.

Posted Image