Videogames official thread

Ormion

So there are gamers here, good. :)

Well, I just finished Postal 2: Paradise Lost, took me about a week.
As crude and hilarious as the original Postal 2 :)

Good to know!
I still feel a little screwed though. Got the GOG version of Postal 2, and Paradise Lost is not on there yet. :(

Anway, anybody into Kerbal Space Program? It's strangely addictive...

I cannot believe how big the Witcher 3 is. I've played 27 hours and i'm level 10. I need to try and resist my usual "completonist" attitude towards games, because adopting that style of play with TW3 will have me awake till 6 in the morning every night for the next month!

• 2 months later...

I just completed The Witcher 3. After about 120 hours. Wow.

Seriously though it is an incredible game, brilliant depth/plot/visuals/world. It's just left me a bit exhausted, I have Bloodborne to play but don't feel like committing to another 50 hour + game.

That's...not really much if it's supposed to be HUGE. My both Skyrim "playthroughs" are over 400 hours each, and Fallout: New Vegas was over 200 hours.

I know what you're saying, I have 1200 + on Oblivion (been playing that game for years), 300+ on Fallout 3, the Witcher feels long because it is 100+ hours of main quest plotline. With other free roam games a lot of the side quests are relatively short and simple but there are hundreds of them, in the Witcher there is probably less content but it is more demanding because each piece of dialogue reveals something important and demands a decision that will have huge ramifications. The result is exhaustion for comparatively less amount of time played.

After the main quest there is very little insentive to keep playing, unlike the Bethesda games where the main quest feels totally optional and you can spend a hundred hours just wandering around.

I know what you're saying, I have 1200 + on Oblivion (been playing that game for years), 300+ on Fallout 3, the Witcher feels long because it is 100+ hours of main quest plotline. With other free roam games a lot of the side quests are relatively short and simple but there are hundreds of them, in the Witcher there is probably less content but it is more demanding because each piece of dialogue reveals something important and demands a decision that will have huge ramifications. The result is exhaustion for comparatively less amount of time played.

After the main quest there is very little insentive to keep playing, unlike the Bethesda games where the main quest feels totally optional and you can spend a hundred hours just wandering around.

Figures :)

I still need to get The Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin some day, and I'm expecting them to be "a bit" more demanding than Skyrim (which, eventually wasn't really that difficult, but a good introductory smooth landing into this kind of RPGs)

Too bad they're rather expensive on Steam. I don't really feel like paying 50+ euros for a game.

Still playing The Witcher 3 (Saving every bit of it, 2 more expansions on the way holy hell !!!)

By far the best RPG i have ever Played.

BTW

Guild Wars 2 went free to play, and i highly recommend it, at least give it a try :)

Playing it since the day it was released.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/

Anyone playing Elder Scrolls Online? I bought the game like 2 months ago but haven't had time digging myself deep in it. I liked it though, not the elder scrolls you'd imagine, but still it has a surprising level of adventure and exploration for one MMO.

Hmm, Gat Out Of Hell was definitely not worth the 20€ price tag.

I don't really understand why they put all that effort into creating a city of that size, and then basically give you nothing to do besides shitloads of mayhem. And there's not even a thin excuse for a plot.

I like to play Pokémon, but with the setrules of a Nuzlocke challenge.

Basically, it's Pokémon in hard mode, and consists in applying 3 rules to your usual Pokémon game :

1_You can only catch 1 pokémon per area. An area is defined by its name. You can only catch the 1st pokémon you meet in that area. If the first pokémon you meet in that area escapes or dies, you lost your chance to catch one in the zone.

2_If your Pokémon faints, it's considered dead and has to be boxed permanently or released. There are no exceptions.

3_Nickname all your Pokémon.

I'm about to play Platinum with some extra rules :

4_ Playing in set mode.

5_No items allowed during the battles, be it healing or boosting items.

6_Legendaries can't be caught, but has to be defeated.

7_Exp share is not allowed.

8_No pokémon trades.

9_If one of my pokémon attains a level that surpass the next gym champion's level, it has to be released.

10_ I can't have any Pokémon in my computer. Which means that I can only play with 6 pokémons max. If I lose 1 battle, it's game over and I have to start the game all over again. If I catch a 7th Pokémon, I either have to release it or to release one from my team so that the latter replaces it. If none of my Pokémon can learn surf or cut and that it prevents me to go further in the adventure, it's game over.

It's fun.

I like to play Pokémon, but with the setrules of a Nuzlocke challenge.

Basically, it's Pokémon in hard mode, and consists in applying 3 rules to your usual Pokémon game :

1_You can only catch 1 pokémon per area. An area is defined by its name. You can only catch the 1st pokémon you meet in that area. If the first pokémon you meet in that area escapes or dies, you lost your chance to catch one in the zone.

2_If your Pokémon faints, it's considered dead and has to be boxed permanently or released. There are no exceptions.

3_Nickname all your Pokémon.

I'm about to play Platinum with some extra rules :

4_ Playing in set mode.

5_No items allowed during the battles, be it healing or boosting items.

6_Legendaries can't be caught, but has to be defeated.

7_Exp share is not allowed.

8_No pokémon trades.

9_If one of my pokémon attains a level that surpass the next gym champion's level, it has to be released.

10_ I can't have any Pokémon in my computer. Which means that I can only play with 6 pokémons max. If I lose 1 battle, it's game over and I have to start the game all over again. If I catch a 7th Pokémon, I either have to release it or to release one from my team so that the latter replaces it. If none of my Pokémon can learn surf or cut and that it prevents me to go further in the adventure, it's game over.

It's fun.

Wow, I play pokemon frequently but never like this, punishing! Currently playing pokemon white.

Oh, man, you gotta try it. It's very nice to play, but it can be heartbreaking and frustrating. But until your game over, you have hours of unforgettable fun.

White is a good version but I prefer White 2. I've tried White with that setrules by 6 times and I couldn't reach the 3rd gym before dying, due to a deadly Sigilyph in N's team that is very fast and very strong.

If you got bored of old versions that you played many times, you can rediscover them with the Nuzlocke Challenge. And if you got bored of Nuzlocke challenges, you can try harder variants, like Wedlockes, Monolockes, Apocalockes, etc.

I was supposed to get TES: Oblivion yesterday, but as Styx: Master of Shadows was on sale I decided to go for that one instead. Played through the introduction in my rather pedantic style, getting the hang of it. Seems nice so far :)

I started Oblivion at least 4-5 times, and every time I find myself buried in 100s of installed mods, tweaks and new locations :-) I still haven't completed the main quest after all these years lol :-) Same goes for Skyrim.

I started Oblivion at least 4-5 times, and every time I find myself buried in 100s of installed mods, tweaks and new locations :-) I still haven't completed the main quest after all these years lol :-) Same goes for Skyrim.

Heh, the first time I played Skyrim I had no mods installed, 2nd time was about 50 of them. Mostly mods for fixing bugs and annoyances, didn't see a need for graphics/location/character/weapon etc mods.

Finished Styx: Master Of Shadows a few days ago. The combat mechanics were so crap that it kinda forced you to take a stealth approach to everything, not that I'm complaining, I like all that sneaking instead of just taking the easy way out (rushing in and killing everyone). The only huge annoyance was the horribly broken automatic ledge grabbing that had me cursing on more than one occasion ("no, not that ledge you fucking stupid goblin!"). Also a minor annoyance was that you couldn't traverse around corners when hanging from a ledge (couldn't have been that hard to implement, I mean Tomb Raider had that in the 2nd or 3rd game IIRC and that was over 15 years ago). And also, unlocked the Shadow insignia for all missions, meaning that I wasn't detected even once during the entire game.

Now I'm playing through the Dishonored DLCs, finally after finishing the main game almost a year ago. More sneaking :)