2. Trancemission 08:31

3. They Will Communicate 09:30

4. For a Better World 08:31

5. Tropical Sunset 08:22

6. Mysterious Fantasy 08:01

7. Beyond Lightspeed 09:21

8. Close Encounter 08:22

9. Delirium 09:17

Let's start things with Feelings found on Opus Iridium. That track brought back this Astral Projection feeling with larger than life acid-brimmed melody and rather simplistic production to emphasize the melody even more. From this point I'd say most started looking out for this guys next stuff. He released some tracks on compilations and they all were at the very least good to great. Some noteworthy were Levitation Device from VA - People Walk Funny and Consequences from VA - Organic Vision, both showing some really fantastic melody skills. Levitation Device aiming more for an other worldly, even pleiadian-esque melody and Consequences being pure driving trancy emotion. After 3 years since Feelings surprised most of us on Opus Iridium, we finally have the debut released and boy did it seem people were hyped. I even saw comments on Suntrips news section which is super rare! Well with quality cover representing the goal to set you to space it looks like a solid thought-out package. Was it worth the wait? Is this the new Astral Projection?

CLICK FOR SAMPLES

Magnetic Fields

The album starts with really great outer space atmosphere, which will be a standard for every track, followed by bunch of synth birds and a thumping bassline. Melodies arrive in acid form and we're off from there. Driving melody work along with some segments that throw it off with different, a little astral projection like, melodies. 6:30 marks the beginning of the AP style influence. Bigger than life melody appears and then it explodes at 7:10 where till the end the track is quite excellent. Otherwise the lead up for this segment is rather un-exciting, which makes this track not that great and leaving me disappointed and somewhat surprised.

Trancemission

The next track has the same type of formula. Different sounds and melodies, of course, but that's about it. Initial 3 minutes are really promising but again I feel like it leaves with a whimper. There is this part at 3:40 where the melody just sparks a superB mid-track climax that spirals endlessly till 4:36 but that's it for the real excitement. There's also a nice change around 5:43 mark where it reaches for a darker tone but even that is not much. This track just drags on too much, more changes please. Bleh.

They Will Communicate

3rd track and again I find myself a bit bored. Just typical formulaic development though with some nice layers this time, some bubbly acid and soothing atmosphere. This time the track certainly picks up at 5:00. The bubbly acid drenched larger than life melodies at that point grace this un-imaginative lead-up journey. Towards the end the track undergoes some really great grand melody segments as well. Too bad about the first half, this could have been excellent throughout.

For a Better World

Finally the disappointment ends! The sounds and effects are mellow smooth floating and the melodies are really sunshine trance-tinted and it remains for such for the rest of the whole track. Reminds me of some Antares stuff on Exodus. Beautiful melodies and spot-on production with a couple of well placed samples. Damn fitting for sundown. Good track, reminds me of Consequences quite a bit albeit I'd still say I prefer that over this.

Tropical Sunset

Looks like the last track started the better part of this album. This track is the most downtempo track on the album. SuperB emotional melodies and lush soundscapes fill your ears with pure joyful progressive passion. This utter perfection continues till 6:00 where the track drops the kick and brings a darker tone at 6:20 with the melody. I'm not sure if I agree with this decision but it's an interesting twist nonetheless and does not really take anything from the track. Everything up until that is utterly awe-inducing. Pure love! Chills all over my body. Aw yeah.

Mysterious Fantasy

Well, hello Project Genesis acid farts by MFG and a full-onish goa bassline, but who cares about anything at this point - ACID FART BUBBLES ARE HERE! God they're SEXY. I hate saying acid farts are tasty or sexy because it sounds wrong, but damn it what else can I do? This track completely surprised me with the sheer amount of them. It is one of the sounds I will never ever grow tired of and whenever something has it, it alone redeems many bad things, but problem here is, there really aren't any bad things. The melodies are quite serious this time and aim for the Levitation Device type one's where it takes you to outer space and again they are very successful at it. This is nonstop power taking you through colourful space scenes. Excellent track.

Beyond Lightspeed

Finally some new Filteria. Echoing acid warping and a badass bassline arrives. Some effects and then at 2:00 melodies, the oh so wonderful melodies. Amazing sample from the movie Spaceballs arrives "Prepare ship for light speed. Light speed is too slow. Light speed, too slow? Yes, we're gonna have to go right to ludicrous speed. " and there we go, ludicrous melodies! Epic! This how samples should be! This track would not be the same without this super use of samples! It really shows whether an artist has intelligence or not if they can incorporate samples so well it simply becomes one with the music and engages the listener so well. There are times where random samples work, yes, but that is not very often. At 5:18 Mr Filteria brings a signature melody that sounds a little like from Sky Input, really harmonious. Some sweet spiraling segments follow this until 7:45 where the last 'grandeur' melodies carry us till the end but they don't end up being as exciting as earlier parts of this track, but kind of remind me of Elysium type melodies. Really driving and extremely exciting ride through the cosmos. Fastest and most sweeping track on the album, why couldn't one of the first 3 be like this as well? Great work Jann- wait this is the Artifact303 album... wtf?

Close Encounter

With aliens I presume. Loving the synth interlude! Bombastic bassline arrives, fantastic echoing atmosphere, laser kick for superB measure. Powerful, serious ultrastastic melodies arrive and star pushing you towards warp speed. 2:20 slows down and brings this diluted really simple acid melody but it is freaking brilliant! It brings a layer of complexity since the larger than life melodies continue from there but this little thing remains adding that extra finessé for a period of time. And I must say this small period is simply amazing. The rest is pretty predictable, though not in the bad sense of the word, the melodies continue to twist reality and drive you onwards like crazy. Fascinating details and really powerful melody work.

Delirium

Bells in space. Synthesizzling, bombing bassline as usual. Quite calm until 3:35 where emotional yet quite serious melody evokes from the void. Some more calmness after this small hyperventilation. Acid in the space and then more epic melodies at 4:15. "We Can start Dreaming". This ends at 5:10 where the nicest plastic-like acid warping is played around with. Some more great melody work takes us to the end of this nice journey. This is a solid to great track! A good ender, not too fast but not too slow either.

So was this the next Astral Projection? No. It does have similar obvious qualities regardless, but what it mostly lacks is a main melody that carriers almost the whole track alone. Was it worth the wait and hype? The second half, yes! I don't understand why they chose the first three tracks on this album as they don't seem to be up to par with the rest. I was very scared after the 3rd if everything else was going to go the same formulaic road, but I'm really glad it didn't and managed to pick up to the levels I was pretty much expecting. The production of this album is really unique and other worldly like you'd expect if you've heard Artifact303 before - if you haven't then you've been living under a rock. Extremely dense atmospheres, big pumping basslines and lots of acid, bigger than life melodies and quite predictable but fantastic details overall. Not a very complex album but I don't believe it even tried to be, though I would have wanted it to experiment some more. For the fans of all of his older tracks, this should be a definite favourite, for all else, it still has tons of redeeming qualities to be maybe hailed as one of the greats of this generation - perhaps. The 2nd half is truly some of the best in the market, that is where the real journey lies and that is where I totally agree that artifact303 is something special. The Opus Iridium hit "Feelings" is still THE classic track imo, but the better tracks of this album are certainly more developed and deep. Also bonus points for Tropical Sunset, fascinating fusion of downtempo goa and trance elements. Great album with a very, very rough start. 100% Recommend checking it out.

Where to get it and samples?

http://www.suntripre...t/item/SUNCD22/

http://www.psyshop.c.../sut1cd022.html

http://www.saikosoun...ase.asp?id=8757

http://www.beatspace...ace/detail.aspx

http://www.goastore....1afd148c351a4b9

http://www.amazon.co...3/dp/B004WJRV52

http://www.cdunivers...asp?pid=8500755

http://www.bol.com/n...4826/index.html

http://www.dimple.co...pc=506014712718

http://www.cosmox.nl...3-5060147127188

http://www.eci.nl/mu...3-5060147127188

Disclaimer: Filteria making beyond lightspeed was a joke. lol.

Remastered bonus track from VA - Human Hyperactivation anno 2007. http://soundcloud.co...trip-to-the-sun

• Like 1

1. Magnetic Fields 09:18

2. Trancemission 08:31

3. They Will Communicate 09:30

4. For a Better World 08:31

5. Tropical Sunset 08:22

6. Mysterious Fantasy 08:01

7. Beyond Lightspeed 09:21

8. Close Encounter 08:22

9. Delirium 09:17

Having listened to the album 5 times in a row now, here's my little addition to the -again- great Penzoline review.

1. Magnetic fields is a great opener. I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

2. Trancemission might be a less interesting track compared to other stuff on the disc. Still it ends in twirls of acid, but ok.

3. They Will Communicate has a sort of chunky bassline instead of a rolling one. So the pace of the album is brought down a bit. The last run of the track makes up for it. Total chaos in yer face. Goody!

4. For A Better World speeds up things nicely. It's like the album found it's second breath. Full-on energy and fantastic melodies. Top class!

5. This downtempo track has been placed wrongly imo. Right now, at this stage, I want to dance and break my head. But we're told to slow down. I find myself skipping this track, because I want to hear the next one. This track its place is at the end of the disc.

6. Mysterious Fantasy is one of my favorites. Psychedelic to the bone! Deep and floating, but with enough chaos to melt your mindmass. Fantastic stuff!

7. Beyond Lightspeed is the best track on the album for me. This is Filteria stuff right here. Only, it's Artifact303. And he has that uplifting touch to it. It explodes, again and again and again. This will cause an earthquake on any dancefloor!!

8. Close Encounter is again a psychedelic stormer. Really enjoying this one and wished it never ended.

9. Delirium. After lots of listens, I came to the conclusion that Delirium might seems a little shy first, but it unfolds in a Goa monster. The end run is so psychedelic, it's incredible. Great ender for a great album.

So I agree partly with Penzoline. While the start is somewhat hesitating, the album gets better and better near the end. It's a perfect showcase of Artifact303's artistic talent.

It's right there in the top with Arcana and Exodus. All equally good. :wub:

Think Tropical Sunset would have worked better at the beginning or end of the album, but kudos to Suntrip for trying something different :).

This whole album is absolutely magnificent. It will go down as one of the greatest Goa releases ever together with Dancing Galaxy and Transdimensional amongst others.

Every single track is superb in it's own way, but as others have already said, it's the 2nd half of the disc where artifact303 shows just how special his talents really are.

Magnificent release guys :)

Nice one! Simple on first sight, but with careful work with details. Sound quality is ear candy, some tracks quality close to Ra. ;)

P.S. and I want more tracks like Close Encounter and Levitation Device in future albums/VA's.

It must be said that this album is ear candy. Apart from my few critics above, I have to say that:

- the sound quality of production is of such high level, listening to each song is a true pleasure

- some tracks are a cross-over between Goa and uplifting trance (Magnetic Fields e.g.), which I adore, since I come from a decade of listening to uplifting trance only

- the whole album oozes quality, right now I'm never skipping a track anymore (used to skip the downtempo track), it listens away so easily

- the energy in the tracks boosts my mood, always a great excuse to put the CD in the player and turn up the volume

- the basskick... the basskick .... is so tight, heavy and warm, it's ludicrous :lol:

Marvelous, Zsolt! What a piece of work. :wub:

Songs are good with very good moments, but none of them specifically get into memory for long. Never thought a brilliant artist will take other way in the first release of the album or too take far off from his style. Still its good goa-trance.

We have a new classic here, and its name is Beyond Lightspeed. I think what I enjoy most about this album is how well each track is paced. A lot of artists could have the same sounds but unless they are put together in a meaningful fashion with good evolution it won't get that transcendental feeling across. The production is also very solid with nice warm basslines even on the last 4 tracks. The detail and time taken on these tracks clearly show. Lastly, excellent choice putting Tropical Sunset in the middle. It flows very nicely and it helps break up the album between the uplifting tracks early on and the intense tracks later in the album.

I have to listen to this album a couple of more times before i can comment more specific on each track. Initial impression is that I really like the kick drum on some of the tracks, I haven´t heard deep knocky kick drums like those since Mirandas albums.

A solid release with some strong goa track, very powerfull and well made. I love this sample in Beyond Lightspeed wich is a killer track, with trance spirit in the second part of the track, and Close Encounter with some nice acidic sound, make me histerik waoo, and the bassline change. Very good !

I pretty much enjoyed tracks 5-9 , really good . For some reason I didn't like the first 4 tracks, found them rather boring...

Track 1 is as good as the last four tracks IMO. I think the flow of the album is perfect.

10/10

A detailed review coming soon!

Favourite track so far is: Close Encounter, the other tracks haven´t really drawn me in yet. It appears as if Artifact303 has been getting some inspiration from Filterias first two albums. I was expecting tracks more similar in style to: Energy Waves, Feelings, Trip Back From The Sun, Trip To The Sun and: The Ancestors. But yeah Close Encounter has a bit of that vibe going for sure :wub::)

Artifact303
Suntrip Records

1. Magnetic Fields is filled with energy; it builds, becomes catchier as it progresses which is the ideal way to go IMO. The middle act maintains a growing edge with integrated sounds standing out over the first few minutes. There is an incredible, soaring climax towards the final third. Great opening track where each acts improves and compliments the previous one(s) in my opinion. A-

2. Trancemission is not very eventful or memorable. The driving/shuffling sound, while initially catchy, eventually runs out of steam. The overall song feels a little empty and unfinished. It needs creative events, higher highs to grab and expand out minds. A memorable lead could have helped. In the center the music transitions and-- doesn't really improve the whole! I can't say that the track is bad per say, just pretty mediocre/forgettable, and in that sense-- disappointing. The good news is that, having heard the full album numerous times before writing this, I can honestly say that this is the only (weakest) track on the whole that stands out as a low (for me) and that the best is yet to come even if the two tracks that follow are moderately better but nothing exceptional. Bare with it because something really great happens halfway into the album that captures the album's second half!  C

3. They Will Communicate is a big improvement over the last track. It's sound/melody work is catchier and therefore more enjoyable. A catchy part enters at around 3:45, and is supported by a beautiful melody at 3:11. This is very well done; it's filled with feeling. The song continuously develops more like the first, with many catchy ideas, and eventually into climax. Although I feel that the artist has yet to let go and take risks with the album, we're 3 for 4 so far. This song's pretty good! B

4. For A Better World is another solid dance number, excelled by sustained, ambient-esque notes, and rich melody paragraphs. There is a catchy psychedelic element as well. Overall this is a nice sounding, rhythmic piece of more mainstream friendly Goatrance. I simply found the first song more riveting in how it evolved. This plays it safe like the second and works while it's on, but by the time its done, you'll soon forget it (at least I do eery time I listen to it). B-

5. Tropical Sunset (the mid-tempo number) is beautiful, emotive, and arresting. This song breaks up the more invigorating tracks nicely. I don't mind that it's not on the end because it's softer than the others. The song continuously evolves and is catchy (sunrise influenced?) throughout. I'v never heard a song like this by Artifact303. This is my top favorite song on the album along with track 7 and 8. Super track. A- / A

6. Mysterious Fantasy is another great track with lots of energy, melody leads, movement, excitement, and delicacy. It has catchy (ambient and/or piano?) background notes too and a bag of cool ideas (the wild goa melody at 5:50) that keep me entertained throughout. Overall it seems like a lot of stuff is being thrown at me and most of it sticks quite well. There is so much sensation over substance however that the song feels fairly fleeting after it ends. B+

7. Beyond Lightspeed has some of the best climactic work I've heard in a while. I prefer the first two (more cosmic) thirds before the last (ethnic-influenced) one that detracts a bit from the other-worldy feel created so well beforehand. Nonetheless, the song is fantastic. It's filled with sonic infectious melody/work, change up, speed, and rhythm throughout. Great buildup coupled with stunning climax work that begins around 2:28 and further ignites at 3:28 are just a few of what makes this song so good. The (beat filled) transition of sorts (from 4:00-6:10) is great too, and seems Filteria-influenced at times in a very good (inspired?) way. Keep this level of work coming. The less edgy, ethnic finale arrests my attention a little less, but it's a solid change of pace and hardly takes away from such an excellent track. A

8. Close Encounter is just incredible. If the original Pleiadians were together and decided to make a third Goa-Trance album today, this is what a super song from it might have sounded like this! I'm continuously hooked and cannot find a complaint, let alone a moment when I'm not compelled or riveted by the stunning work. So this artist has it in him to produce groundbreaking work after all... If this entire album was as stunning as the second half of Back To Space, well.. few albums get much better than that. Amazing track. Every time i listen to this.. wow. A

9. Delirium emphasizes background floating textures (i.e: E-Mantra) in Artifact303's style and is good, though it took time to grow on me. I really like the stronger beat, and how it leaves at times. The song could have used some fresh evolution towards the last few minutes (a catchier melody), but its break to mid (from down) tempo, the echoed female sounds, atmospheric and soundscapes are well done! A-

Back To Space is my favourite Goa album by a main artist since Filteria's Daze of Our Lives. I've been listening to this album again and again and my biggest gripe is track 2. It's forgettable and could have been replaced by a better song. Nonetheless, this is a solid debut. There's many stand out moments and tracks, as if the artist took his time to enhance the package before submitting the final product. Magnetic Fields (and especially for many) Tropical Sunset, Beyond Lightspeed, and Close Encounter showcase excellent/superb work. Trancemission could have been better and remains melodic albeit bland. Other tracks not mentioned here are entertaining too, just nothing extraordinary. Lastly, the second half of the album is noticeably stronger than the first. Back To Space is a good if not great album and the best by the artist to date. Nice work!

Favorite tracks - 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

B+

• 5 weeks later...

hmmm sorry to break the chain of positive reviews but it's not that good IMO... The first 4 tracks are generic neo-goa which seems to be the norm these days.

Tropical Sunset is the downtempo track which for some reason is placed in the middle... anyway this is the best track here IMO and even this one is just good, not great.

Mysterious Fantasy is a good uptempo track here with some nice acid riffs but again, it is good but not great.

Beyond Lightspeed sounds like it was done by Filteria and personally I've found that Filteria's bag of tricks has run out a long long time ago so I'll give this a pass...

Close Encounteraaaah FINALLY this one is more my cup of tea! VERY nice catchy melodies, this one also sounds like Filteria lent a helping hand or something, with the notable difference that the arpeggios do NOT sound random ;)

Delirium is also a very nice catchy track.

So in conclusion, the downtempo track and the last 2 tracks are very nice, otherwise nothing that really stands out of the "normal" Suntrip style... 3/5

I'll upgrade my judgement to best album of the year so far. I wholly enjoy also the first four tracks, and moreover how the style of the album grows from the trancey style of those tracks to the more gritty, aggressive ways of the last four tracks. I did not exactly expect such depth judging from his previous releases, which were good but not exceptional to me, but with this album he has shown considerable growth not only musically but also technically, and I look forward to the continuation of his work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I still play this album every now and then and i just cant get enough. Truly a brilliant album in every sense of the word. Goa has never sounded so good. ;)

When can we expect another journey into the melodic goa world of artifact303 ? :)

• 1 month later...

Posted Image

Artist: Artifact303

Title: Back To Space

Label: Suntrip Records

Date: May 2009

1. Magnetic Fields

2. Trancemission

3. They will communicate

4. For a better world

5. Tropical Sunset

6. Mysterious Fantasy

7. Beyond Lightspeed

8. Close Encounter

9. Delirium

Posted Image

Remember that telescope that your Nana and Papa gave you for your thirteenth birthday?

You do know that it ain't just for peeping into the window of that hot chick across the street with the big, big titties, right?

Look, look, look...she's bendin' over!

Penzoline wrote an awesome review so no need in rehashing the particulars.

If you have a vivid imagination and a willingness to travel (damn bag fees) than this is an album that will take you past huge galaxies and through nebulae of limitless color. If the definition of our music is "to put into trance" than this is the illustration that Wikipedia would use. The comparisons to Astral Projection cannot be helped. And hey if you want to equate his music to a project responsible for some of the greatest goa trance ever created, I'm sure he would be ok with that. Who wouldn't want to hear that they f*ck like a porn star?

The sound is as big as all outside with leads that intertwine and leave trails of color in their wake. Back To Space is a perfect title because your feet won't touch the ground until it's over. This is melodic fire in zero gravity as wave after wave scorches through you. It surrounds and caresses, with warm layers that bubble and undulate. It's drenched in storytelling detail and not jus another full on neo-goa clone. Magnetic Fields bristles with cosmic energy and lush atmospherics as it switches directions more often than a NYC cab driver.

There are also introspective moments like the almost joyous Tropical Sunset placed smack dab in the middle of the album. Some say that it kills the flow, but I disagree. I think it enhances it and serves as a signpost informing you not to get comfortable.

The 2nd half of the album shows that he can also blister you with a melodic assault that won't have you questioning his power. Mysterious Fantasy deluges the listener with a relentless acid shower in a kaleidoscope of hues.

Beyond Lightspeed is an aggressive beast that builds, becoming more massive with eah passing measure. Besides, how can you not like a track with a Spaceballs sample in it? You can't. Unless you're a dick. Give Rick Moranis a break, it was the last movie he did where he could look in and the mirror and not feel shame.

Close Encounters is another awesome track that brings back fond memories of Etnica and Crop Circles with it's delicious acid arpeggios and laser light focus.

We're fortunate to have so many goa trance releases that seem to get better and better with each effort. The artists are really exploring their creativity and providing us with powerful music that can also evoke passionate feelings. Whether you like it dark or tribal, floating sunshine or deep space, goa trance is f*cking awesome these days. Congrats to Zsolt and Suntrip because this is a landmark in not just goa trance, but psychedelic music. One of the best. Ever.

Posted Image

My apologies for anyone I send into an epileptic seizure with this gif.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Saiko Sounds

Goa Store

Mdk

Review

Jeez man, I've been trying to get my head around writing a review for this beast for months now but you just said it all. You and Penzoline. I rest my case.